Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,585 Posts
Did mine at 123K, along with radiator, hoses thermostat & serpentine belt. As mentioned before, the parts looked almost new. I believe 105K is very conservative if the vehicle isn't abused.

YouTube videos are very helpful.

Best kit I found (other than direct from Honda) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EEYTRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get the Lisle 19mm socket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGNCV1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Crankshaft holding tool Amazon.com: BETOOLL 50mm Crankshaft Crank Pulley Wrench Holder Tool Removal Holding Spanner kit for Honda and Acura Engines: Automotive

Have a GOOD impact wrench. My old 1/2" Craftsman wouldn't budge the crank bolt. Borrowed a newer MAC Tools 1/2" impact and it was off in seconds.

Don't rush the job and think everything through.
Did you do the valve adjustment too? That should be done when you do the TB/WP service.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2012 Honda Ridgeline and it has 64000 miles on it. It has never towed anything. It has been in storage for 6 months and when I started it up and ran it for awhile the check emission systems light came on. I took it to the Honda dealer to check it out and was told the charcoal cannister valve needed replacement for the tune of $400.00. I was also told that due to the age of the vehicle, I should have the timing belt system changed for the tune of $1100. Is it too soon to have the timing belt system changed? Thank you
Every 100,000 miles

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
34 Posts
+1 on 100k or 10 yrs whichever is first. 10yrs because it’s a (synthetic?) rubber part which can degrade/crack/weaken over long period of time.
Dealer recommendation Is a bit premature for 2012 w/ only 64k. I think it’s been discussed here that maintenance minder will alert when this needs to be changed per Honda guidelines for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,265 Posts
What else should I have replaced while TB/WP are being replaced?
During timing belt replacement typically the timing belts tensioners are replaced and any engine seals in that area should be inspected and replaced if suspect. The serpentine belt should also be replaced.
Spark plugs are due at the same interval as the timing belt and they are out anyway during timing belt install so they are typically replaced. Should only be parts cost.
Valve clearances should also be checked at the 105k timing belt interval.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had my timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump and idler pulley replaced at 100K by a independant mechanic. He does funny car racing as a hobby if that tells you anything. I paid about $800. I havent had any major issues since and I am at 180+ miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
During timing belt replacement typically the timing belts tensioners are replaced and any engine seals in that area should be inspected and replaced if suspect. The serpentine belt should also be replaced.
Spark plugs are due at the same interval as the timing belt and they are out anyway during timing belt install so they are typically replaced. Should only be parts cost.
Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jakeman, can you provide links to the other parts you replaced , radiator, serpentine etc? I just bought a 2007 Ridgeline with 159,000. Previous owner never changed timing belt...
Sorry for the delayed response. First of all, mine is a 2009, so there may be part differences.
Timing belt kit here:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EEYTRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Serp. belt here:Amazon.com: Mitsuboshi 6PK2135 Serpentine Belt: Automotive

Radiator: Denso 2213254 from Rock Auto along with rad. cap, Dayco 89369 belt tensioner and hoses

Important for the crank bolt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGNCV1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All parts fit perfectly

·
Super Moderator
23,585 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Our 2006 turned 15 years old in March and I've been struggling to decide about our TB as we are at 103K. Being a non-mechanic the complexity of it frightens me a bit. But I just made the appointment and for something under $1,500 total they will do the TB kit thing (incl water pump), a tune-up including spark plugs, valve adjustment, gaskets, etc forgot if they'll also do an oil change.

Feels like a lot of $ to me but we have spent so little on this truck over the years I suppose we are due. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our 2006 turned 15 years old in March and I've been struggling to decide about our TB as we are at 103K. Being a non-mechanic the complexity of it frightens me a bit. But I just made the appointment and for something under $1,500 total they will do the TB kit thing (incl water pump), a tune-up including spark plugs, valve adjustment, gaskets, etc forgot if they'll also do an oil change.

Feels like a lot of $ to me but we have spent so little on this truck over the years I suppose we are due. Wish me luck!
Not bad after 15 years! I assume it's a dealer doing the work. Local dealer runs specials for about $800 but they don't include everything that should be replaced.

What about the radiator?

·
Super Moderator
23,585 Posts
I agree. At this service is a great time to replace the radiator and coolant.

Make sure you have them install a new version of the radiator instead of the old OEM design. See this image for an example:

·
Registered
296 Posts
You're talking about the fitting and not the whole radiator? What's that about--and is it "timely" re: the TB replacement i.e. otherwise hard to get at?

Not a dealer, but a local (well, regional actually, a chain) shop that has 3-year warranties on their work which afaict is unusual.

Note also FWIW that this 2006 has lived in TX most of its life and has never been touched by road salt i.e. no corrosion anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
23,585 Posts
You're talking about the fitting and not the whole radiator? What's that about--and is it "timely" re: the TB replacement i.e. otherwise hard to get at?

Not a dealer, but a local (well, regional actually, a chain) shop that has 3-year warranties on their work which afaict is unusual.

Note also FWIW that this 2006 has lived in TX most of its life and has never been touched by road salt i.e. no corrosion anywhere.
It is impractical to replace just the fitting. So replace the radiator itself. There's been evidence that shows galvanic corrosion can happen from dis-similar metals in contact with each other. So the SMOD issue could have multiple causes.. both external and internal.

I replaced mine at 120k miles along with the TB/WP service. I gave them a good tug and they still seemed solid, so it would have probably lasted for a while yet. But I prefer preventative rather than reactive maintenance... since the reactive stuff always seems to happen at the worst possible time.

There's only 1/8 inch of threads that hold that connection to the heat exchanger in the bottom of the radiator.

Read up on the SMOD issue here and you will find out why replacing the OEM radiator is highly suggested. Here's a thread to get you started:

·
Registered
296 Posts
A happy experience at Auto Select with our 15 year-old 2006 and AFAICT saved perhaps $300 vs our Honda dealer. Cost just over $1,400 total for:
Water pump and timing component kit
Serpentine Belt
Valve Cover Gasket Set
Plenum Gasket Set
Replacement antifreeze
NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs
Valve adjustment
Just over 7 hours labor

Done at 101K miles, truck purrs like a kitten after, just as it did going-in. Very happy and glad to have this over with! To me this kind of mechanical work is magic!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jakeman, can you provide links to the other parts you replaced , radiator, serpentine etc? I just bought a 2007 Ridgeline with 159,000. Previous owner never changed timing belt...
TommyRidge-- I'm in the same boat (147k though). Dealership says all the service has been done except the timing belt (water pump, etc.). Checked in with a master mechanic and got quoted the same price at $1,100. I am NOT comfortable working on cars and got my Ridgeline for a solid deal at $7k, so I feel the timing belt is peace of mind and part of the buying cost.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts