Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Should this be covered under factory warranty?

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  coolbob 
#1 ·
Ok this is a strange one. I just bought this 2017 RTL-E with 29k so still within the full warranty.

According to the Carfax, the side molding was installed from the dealership before it was initially sold. However, they installed it halfway up the door instead of in the proper place using the guides closer to the bottom of the door.

I took it into my local dealership to see if they could get Honda to cover the work of removal since I consider it an incorrectly installed OEM part.

The dealership told me they were u willing to remove it as they could risk damaging the door panel.

Should this be my problem or should the improper installation of an OEM part by a dealer be the responsibility of Honda to correct?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a warranty issue. Whatever warranty Honda provided with that trim would be for a defect in the materials, not a defect in the brain of whoever installed them. Would have been a great argument for the original owner to have the installing dealership reinstall them correctly (or most likely replaced). But at this point, unless the dealership wants to be nice, you're SOL. I know you said that Carfax shows the installation was prior to the original sale, but maybe it was part of the original sale, and the buyer requested to have them installed higher for their personal needs... I dunno, I would wait for a hot day, let the sun bake em for a few hours and then carefully peal them off.

#3 · (Edited)
Not a warranty issue.
Agree for all the stated reasons.

Plenty of resources about removal (floss saw, goo gone, etc, etc) and 'restoration' but I wouldn't make any bets one way or the other as to whether or not a visible 'shadow' would remain in the paint / clearcoat or how long that might last if there is one.

Good Luck!

#5 · (Edited)
If possible, could you go to the original dealer? You have a legit point with them based on the carfax as a dealer installed accessory is not in the factory recommended location. The proper location of those door edge guards is low down and yes, it saves the door when you open it but it's so low down it offers little protection from others. Net result is you may get fewer dings with its current although incorrect location.

#6 ·
I’d try the dealer, but would probably wind up talking to a body shop for their opinion on what to do/
what it’d cost, The conversation wouldn’t cost anything & maybe it wouldn’t be bad.

#7 ·
Easy DIY project with heatgun and fishing line. Use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.

#8 ·
Bought my RTL-T 3 weeks ago and had dealer install side molding 2 weeks ago. Well, they installed them to low and when I complained they didn’t argue. They ordered new molding and are going to instal next week per the instructions. Our local body shop owner advised me that there shouldn’t be a problem with them doing this. In hind sight I wish I hadn’t even bought the things but have $300 invested so hopeful the installation will be done properly and offer a little protection.

#10 ·
Not pointing fingers...but their ARE some owners in this forum who have install those side molding like yours....I would not be surprised if the original owner/purchaser requested them to be install that way too..

They are just held my 3M tape, easy to remove and re-install.

Just heat them up and use fishing line and take your time.

#11 ·
Not pointing fingers...but their ARE some owners in this forum who have install those side molding like yours....I would not be surprised if the original owner/purchaser requested them to be install that way too..

They are just held my 3M tape, easy to remove and re-install.

Just heat them up and use fishing line and take your time.
I was going to say the same thing. It is not the dealers fault if they did what the original owner requested.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
I dont mind doing the work myself and have removed side molding on past vehicles. Mostly I was hoping to divert the liability of removing without paint damage onto the dealership if I had any standing, but I am in agreement with the consensus that I do not.

#18 ·
I've removed lots of dealer badges and decals from cars over the years.

Warm the area with sunlight, space heater, hair dryer or heat gun.

Use dental floss to saw through the adhesive tape (wear gloves to protect your hands and it would be great to have a helper gently pull the trim away as you saw back and forth with the dental floss), remove any goo that remains on the paint. It's very unlikely that there will be any damage to the paint, but you may have some very mild scratches from any debris that was stuck to the adhesive, just polish with a mild polish (not rubbing compound).

If you don't put any kinks in the bump strips, you should be able to reuse them by applying more 3M tape.

Here's a 'How too' video showing the installation:

Here's a PDF of the instructions:

I think you would eyeball the locations for the strips and put down some masking tape as a guide before pulling the tape off the 3M adhesive and re-installing the strips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.