Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has modified their Ridgeline for camping? Clever uses of the under-bed trunk? Anything from a custom slide-in camper to a simple chuck box, post it here!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have some Kamp rite tent cots

they can go in the crew cab with the seats up and not block the windows, or in the bed of the truck

about $150, you dont need an air mattress, they do get condensation inside and get cold if they are closed up

beats sleeping on the ground

·
Registered
155 Posts
Since I go to the track and I didn't want my Ridgeline to be come rendered useless with an in-bed tent, I decided to go with the kamp-rite since I can still use my Ridgeline to grab dinner.

I will be trying it next week, but my first impressions are that it's built well, and can fit someone who's 6'4, and has windows/screens on all four sides. I can also be used as a chair or lounge chair, but I'm not so sure on how comfortable it would be. I'm 5'11" and still had plenty of room. You definitely need an air mattress as I don't think that you will be able to sleep in it for a long period of time without it. Setup was a breeze, less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
692 Posts
This+This+the bed

That is all I usually take to sleep with. If it's going to sprinkle or drizzle I'll have a tarp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is mine. I love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
That roof tent is freaking cool. I have seen them on old land rovers and jeeps but not on our RLs.

Please tell be more and where I can get one. That would make an awesome winter and beach tent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hah, Kirk Creek, one of my favorite spots. Never seen a Ridgeline with an RTT, looks great!
Thank you!

What's the weight limit of the roof / roofrack and tent?
Well obviously the vehicle is made to be able to roll over so the roof can hold the weight of the vehicle. Yes there would be damage, but the roof won't collapse in if the vehicle was placed upside down. The factory roof rack is rated at 110lbs of weight. It is unclear if that is the cross bar rating or the whole system rating. I used a yakima system on my factory roof rack that has a max weight of 160lbs. The tent weighs about 130lbs. There have been no problems with my woman and I on the roof! Puts you up above so we had great views of the ocean! HAHA!
That roof tent is freaking cool. I have seen them on old land rovers and jeeps but not on our RLs.

Please tell be more and where I can get one. That would make an awesome winter and beach tent.
The only downside I can say is that gas mileage does suffer a bit. I don't know exactly how much because I haven't looked at it yet, but I can tell it does. And the wind noise at 80mph. It isn't anything someone who listens to the radio can't handle, but going from no racks at all to this, I can tell it's there. www.tepuitents.com is where I got mine, however if you just google rooftop tents, you will see there are lots of manufactures. Tepui was pretty close to my home, so I just picked it up. Their instructions for installation are wrong, but that is my only comlaint of the tent!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only downside I can say is that gas mileage does suffer a bit. I don't know exactly how much because I haven't looked at it yet, but I can tell it does. And the wind noise at 80mph.
Sounds like you need some sort of fairing. I put one on my lumber rack that helped a lot. The truck is so quiet without anything up top, it's a bummer to have all that wind noise for long trips, it really does wear on ya. If we were driving old Jeeps, we wouldn't care though, would we?

The Maggiolina RTTs have a fiberglass shell that is pretty streamlined, and might cut the wind a little better. http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
284 Posts
[/QUOTE]The only downside I can say is that gas mileage does suffer a bit. I don't know exactly how much because I haven't looked at it yet, but I can tell it does. And the wind noise at 80mph. It isn't anything someone who listens to the radio can't handle, but going from no racks at all to this, I can tell it's there. www.tepuitents.com is where I got mine, however if you just google rooftop tents, you will see there are lots of manufactures. Tepui was pretty close to my home, so I just picked it up. Their instructions for installation are wrong, but that is my only comlaint of the tent![/QUOTE]

You could also mount this over the bed if you had a rack system mounted on the bed rails. It wouldn't be as high, which I think would be an advantage, though others might feel differently. When stored/traveling, it looks like it would stay totally below the top of the cab, so very little wind resistance or noise, if any. One possible issue would be the sloping rails, which could cause the bed to slope. But you could fix that by using two different crossbar mounts. The one nearest the cab could be the one you get from Vantech, that lays right on the rails. The one in the back could be a Yakima or Thule, which raises the crossbar up about 4 inches. Looks like any of the bars would work with the tent, and I don't see any problem with using two different bars for this application. And by the way, I'd feel much more confident from a weight capacity/strength standpoint having this mounted on the bed rails rather than on a roof rack. And you've still got the whole bed below the rack for carrying gear. Or use your roof rack, too, for that if you have one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The only downside I can say is that gas mileage does suffer a bit. I don't know exactly how much because I haven't looked at it yet, but I can tell it does. And the wind noise at 80mph. It isn't anything someone who listens to the radio can't handle, but going from no racks at all to this, I can tell it's there. www.tepuitents.com is where I got mine, however if you just google rooftop tents, you will see there are lots of manufactures. Tepui was pretty close to my home, so I just picked it up. Their instructions for installation are wrong, but that is my only comlaint of the tent![/QUOTE]

You could also mount this over the bed if you had a rack system mounted on the bed rails. It wouldn't be as high, which I think would be an advantage, though others might feel differently. When stored/traveling, it looks like it would stay totally below the top of the cab, so very little wind resistance or noise, if any. One possible issue would be the sloping rails, which could cause the bed to slope. But you could fix that by using two different crossbar mounts. The one nearest the cab could be the one you get from Vantech, that lays right on the rails. The one in the back could be a Yakima or Thule, which raises the crossbar up about 4 inches. Looks like any of the bars would work with the tent, and I don't see any problem with using two different bars for this application. And by the way, I'd feel much more confident from a weight capacity/strength standpoint having this mounted on the bed rails rather than on a roof rack. And you've still got the whole bed below the rack for carrying gear. Or use your roof rack, too, for that if you have one.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you've said, but I need my bed for dirt bikes.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
779 Posts
Both of you guys have some sweet Roof top tent setups!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone ever made there own wooden truck camper , I had one for a dodge ram and I'm going to make one for the ridgeline and still be able to open the trunk is the plan, anyone here make something like that,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts