Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
We tow a 2018 Casita, 2600 lbs. empty weight and 400 lbs. tong weight. Our Ridgeline gets 16.8/18.8 pulling our trailer, depending on road conditions. We do not over load our trailer or Rigdeline, just minimal camp equipment. Casita's are a $18,000 to $21,000 trailer depending on how you equip your trailer, wait time a approximately four months, and there only sold in Rice, Texas at there home office and plant. These trailers have somewhat of a cult following as with other fiberglass (egg as they are called) trailers.

trainman

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,106 Posts
Do you know what the important tax would be for that TT?
Following the link provided by @Shawn Wyss it looks like they are also sold in the US? Although it would be a fun trip!

Interesting concept...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took the 'Bago out for the first time last weekend. Heading out again this weekend, then a big 3 week excursion out West and back. '17 Sport did a great job hauling it. Still need to get it weighed for exact numbers, but should be well under the 5k lbs limit (likely around 3600 or so total).

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
We just came from the Hershey RV show. And were impressed with the 2019 Sonic by Venture 190 VRB. It has UVW 3,800 lbs. and hitch weight listed at 340 lbs.

The shows are great but can be overwhelming with the choices. This has a dry bath and Murphy bed. We are new to RVs We resisted the "buy it today at the show to get this price". I had never heard of the brand and wanted time to do some research.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Perfect weather last week to be set up in Guadalupe River State Park in the Texas Hill Country. Only a little over 200 miles one way made for a relaxing tow . . . especially after stopping for great BBQ at Chisholm Trail in Lockhart (only one of several great BBQ places in Lockhart). We are on our third camping season (typically year 'round) with this rig. The first two years we towed with our '11 RTL. And since last December we've towed with our '18 RTL-E. Trailer is a Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS (their second most popular seller the factory tour guide in Elkhart, IN told us last summer). When fully loaded up our CAT Scale weight comes in at usually 4600-4700 lbs. We shoot for a tongue weight of 480 lbs. We specifically bought this truck to tow this trailer. And it works beautifully. My wife simply is not comfortable in any of the excellent 1/2 tons out there, but this truck lets us arrive at a campground relaxed and ready to set up. We take a number of shorter trips during the year like this one and usually one major trip/year - like this year's 3,300+ mile round trip to Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Over three weeks of towing and camping and this truck made it possible to have a delightfully relaxed time.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Since the thread asks for pics of our travel trailer, here are some from our "major" trip this past summer from the Houston area to the Midwest . . . And I will use these to explain a bit as to why we felt that this camper was best for our particular needs. I also want to offer an expression of comfort in our truck's abilities to manage this rig. At this season of our lives, we wanted some measure of comfort and convenience while in our home on wheels. We could have gone smaller, but research proved correct that the Ridgeline elegantly handles this 4600-4700 lb (when fully loaded) TT quite well.

(1) Hitched up for a morning departure from our easternmost campground in Zanesville, OH headed northwestward to our next stop in Elkhart, IN; people often ask about use of a weight distributing hitch, and the G2 Ridgeline manual has modified its previous G1 statement now to make it optional; nothing against a WDH at all, but frankly our rig has handled all situations with confident stability without using one, although we do employ a single friction sway bar; (2) Stayed in Elkhart a couple of nights, and this view shows our mini-slide extended to further expand the 8' width of the TT; inside, the slide supports a comfortable sofa across from the galley and entertainment area; (3) our next stop was in Springfield, IL at the State Fairgrounds; this view at night shows our electrically extended, 14' awning that offers great shelter from rain and sun; another feature we like about this trailer you see hidden behind the rounded rectangle access panel on the camper's side wall - behind it is a slide out propane fueled grill that we use all the time - typically supported by other yummy stuff my wife has prepared inside with the range/oven and microwave; we sleep in the front of the TT on a full size queen bed to which we added a topper that has made it the most comfortable bed we own - we just love it.

So if you are shopping travel trailers, do not be hesitant to look at this class of rig. The Ridgeline has a very efficient power train, and its i-VTM-4 and VSA really help manage the "box" behind the truck. Just stay within the truck's specs. Mileage will never be "good" compared to normal driving. Running up and down hills on this particular trip our towing mileage - all the way home through the Missouri Ozarks, Oklahoma's Winding Stair and Ouachita Mountains and the hills of East Texas, we averaged 10.77 mpg. Just get used to that or worse depending on wind as much as anything. Our towing speed is usually pegged around 60 mph but adjusted for terrain and weather. We have found in this size that a tandem axle lends itself to greater towing stability, so perhaps a few test tows for comparisons at various dealers might be helpful. If the dealer won't allow it, just walk away and find one that is hungry enough to offer such.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the form and size of your small Aliner. In a lot of ways that would be ideal for me. I'm just looking for something light and simple as a fly fishing basecamp.

Ideally, I'd want something that can do some light off-road travel (washboarded forest service roads, beaches, etc. - not the Rubicon Trail) and boondocking for 3-4 days at a time.

How do you like your Aliner so far? I've been following the videos of Slim Potatohead on YouTube. He has a larger Aliner and he takes it everywhere and boondocks for weeks/months at a stretch. However, he has done lots of modifications and repairs on his Aliner over the years. He is a lot more clever and capable than I'll ever be in that department.

·
Registered
282 Posts
As you can see from my pictures. I have a 21 foot travel trailer. I towed it for 2 summers with my old 2007 Ridgeline and so far 2 summers with my new 2017 Ridgeline. I live in MA and have made a few couple hundred mile trips to NY and NH and Maine with it as well as 2 trips so far to Virginia which ended up being about 1500 miles each round trip. Keeping speeds to 65 while towing, I average 11.5 to 12.5 mpg with the current Ridgeline. The old one struggled to get 9 mpg at the same speeds. My model is the 2015 Rockwood MiniLite 2109s. The newer ones of the same model are a little heavier than mine. The camper is perfect for my wife and I and we've had an occasional guest. We always haul our kayaks and sometimes bicycles with us too. The camper is perfect for us. We love it. Happy camper shopping.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is my 2010 Ridgeline with 2" lift and my 2013 Jayco X18D hybrid camper. The camper sticker said 3,350 dry, but at the scales it was 3,850 dry. Be warned most dry weights on campers do not include all options added later. My camper is ~4,200 fully loaded for camping (yes I weighed everything I loaded it with the 1st time) so I'm running ~4,950 lbs. give or take with the family inside and bikes in the back. I now run ~9 mpg w/ mud tires. I used to get 10 mpg w/ stock rims and all season tires. The truck does fine pulling the camper even though I am at full capacity. We have 8 camping trips planned this year including a week in Myrtle Beach which will be a hike from Baltimore.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
We sold our 21' Coleman last year (we're bummed, but we never had the time to use it). Now we have a boat (21' bow rider) that we get much more use out of (less planning / quicker deployment etc...). I don't mean to hijack a camper thread with nonsense, but this thread has made me feel MUCH better about towing my boat. I always felt like I was pushing my '06 too hard towing ~4000lbs. The lake is very close so I didn't care much, but this summer I want to take it on a 200 mile trip to Alabama. Seeing what you guys are towing with your 1st generation RL's makes me feel better :) The campsite we always used was 6 miles away so towing our camper was easy.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Going to California or Bust. Somewhere in Washington, 3800 lbs loaded, the old Ridgeline works hard to pull it.
Yesterday when I checked, I-5 was closed between Hilt, CA and Dunsmuir, CA. It may be open now, but to be on the safe side check.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yesterday when I checked, I-5 was closed between Hilt, CA and Dunsmuir, CA. It may be open now, but to be on the safe side check.
Thanks for that bit of info. This photo was last April, California or Bust is just an old saying that people used to put on the back of their old VW.:grin:

81 - 100 of 101 Posts