Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Black Edition with 22k miles. On two occasions I have noticed a severe shudder/judder/shake when I pass 35 mph. It feels like a more intense version of the Road Departure Mitigation warning, or driving over rumble strips. I can feel it through the steering wheel, and also in the seat. It gets pretty bad by the time that I hit 45 mph that I have to back off. Dropping back down to 30 mph it is not noticeable, but starts again once I creep past 35 mph. No odd engine noises. No warning lights, or anything like that.

It happened on the same stretch of road, both times. It is flat, newly laid black top. The first time it happened was the day after an A1 service. I thought it felt kind of like a tire getting ready to fall off. Pulled onto a side street, turned the truck off, and got out to inspect tires/lugs. Everything was fine. Started the truck back up, pulled out into traffic, and drove the rest of the way home without the problem returning. Top speed was 60 mph. Scratching my head for answers, I thought maybe it was the fill up that I had done 5 minutes before the problem happened. Maybe vapor lock, or something like that. This was back in late March. I remained problem free until August 2nd. Same stretch of road. Same problem. This time, at a red light, I turned the truck off for about 20 seconds, and re-started. Drove the rest of the way home with the issue returning, again reaching a top speed of 60 mph

Here's the coincidence; this happened two of the last three times that I was at a particular friends house. The time in March, and August, I parked in his driveway, which has about a 25 degree incline (so about an 48% grade?). When I was there in May, I parked on a flat street. I can only assume that parking on that incline had something to do with it? On that first trip, I was at 1/4 tank of gas, or a little less. In August I can't recall how much was in the tank. I usually don't let it drop below 1/2 tank without filling up.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond.

Community thoughts (other than to not park in his driveway :D) ?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It is probably VCM (variable cylinder management). Your RL disables three cylinders when you are cruising. There is a device called the S-VCM that will disable that feature. Some drivers feel VCM engagement more than others. VCM arguably can cause oil usage in your engine as well. Here is all you want to read about it.

S-VCM

·
Registered
14 Posts
2017 Black Edition with 22k miles. On two occasions I have noticed a severe shudder/judder/shake when I pass 35 mph. It feels like a more intense version of the Road Departure Mitigation warning, or driving over rumble strips. I can feel it through the steering wheel, and also in the seat. It gets pretty bad by the time that I hit 45 mph that I have to back off. Dropping back down to 30 mph it is not noticeable, but starts again once I creep past 35 mph. No odd engine noises. No warning lights, or anything like that.

It happened on the same stretch of road, both times. It is flat, newly laid black top. The first time it happened was the day after an A1 service. I thought it felt kind of like a tire getting ready to fall off. Pulled onto a side street, turned the truck off, and got out to inspect tires/lugs. Everything was fine. Started the truck back up, pulled out into traffic, and drove the rest of the way home without the problem returning. Top speed was 60 mph. Scratching my head for answers, I thought maybe it was the fill up that I had done 5 minutes before the problem happened. Maybe vapor lock, or something like that. This was back in late March. I remained problem free until August 2nd. Same stretch of road. Same problem. This time, at a red light, I turned the truck off for about 20 seconds, and re-started. Drove the rest of the way home with the issue returning, again reaching a top speed of 60 mph

Here's the coincidence; this happened two of the last three times that I was at a particular friends house. The time in March, and August, I parked in his driveway, which has about a 25 degree incline (so about an 48% grade?). When I was there in May, I parked on a flat street. I can only assume that parking on that incline had something to do with it? On that first trip, I was at 1/4 tank of gas, or a little less. In August I can't recall how much was in the tank. I usually don't let it drop below 1/2 tank without filling up.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond.

Community thoughts (other than to not park in his driveway :D) ?
Bodia- any follow up or resolution?

I have a 2019 AWD sport and have had an intermittent vibration issue felt through the gas pedal at speeds of 25-60mph. I'm now wondering if this is my problem too. It appears the TSB only applies to 2017 models.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts