Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you prefer to angle your side mirrors?

Some people on the Internet recommended this method which is supposed to give maximum visibility of cars passing by, even eliminating blind spots. There is a good diagram here: How To Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots.

That method worked well for me when I drive a smaller car like a Camry, but with my Ridgeline, I find that the rear view window is more limited, especially with the rear seat head rests, causing me to notice a big blind spot with the recommended method. So I had to adjust my side mirrors to point slightly more inward. Of course, when changing lanes, I always do a quick shoulder glance regardless of what I see from mirrors.

My question is what is your preferred way of having your side mirrors?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I like that SAE method, but I still don't think it's good enough to obviate the need to look over the shoulder as you mention. This problem is especially apparent on multi-lane highways where you can have a driver two lanes over in your 2nd lane blind spot that might want to change lanes at the same time as you do. Without looking you won't see the car and won't know their intent. There are a lot of drivers these days that feel free to ignore your blinker while not using their own. It's almost as if they don't know what a turn signal even is. :-(

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Anybody with experience with driving vehicles in which you can use only the outside mirrors typically have little issue with how to set them for maximum effect. It also appears that nothing is being said about the addition of "blind spot" mirrors, with which I can see vehicles up to almost directly alongside.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,130 Posts
Anybody with experience with driving vehicles in which you can use only the outside mirrors typically have little issue with how to set them for maximum effect. It also appears that nothing is being said about the addition of "blind spot" mirrors, with which I can see vehicles up to almost directly alongside.

Bill
...or when backing into a lined parking space. You can't see the lines at all with the mirrors adjusted this way.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,698 Posts
I use the $2 blind spot mirrors to compensate for the wide angles.

When I started to learn how to drive back in '99, my uncle showed me a similar method where while seated, adjust the side mirrors enough to see the rear 'fenders' and a smidge more to not see it. I have to say that the $2 mirror investment, really does eliminate a lot of the 'blind' spot issues.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I greatly prefer having the side mirrors angled out to significantly decrease any blind-spot area. I have used this technique for more decades than I can remember. I don't generally need to see the side of my car, but if I'm backing up or want to see it for some reason I can simply lean over a little bit and the side of the truck will be visible.

And if the rear headrests block too much of your vision (a big problem on some vehicle, not so much on the G2 Ridgeline for me) you can simply remove them if you don't carry passengers back there often. Just keep them in the truck to put back in place if someone taller than the seat-back is going to sit there.

And I've used blind-spot wedges and convex round mirrors at times, but I haven't felt much need for that with the mirrors properly adjusted in my Ridgelines, and the blind-spot mirrors are so small the cars may not be very noticeable anyway, and they take up space from use of the regular mirror making it less effective.

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
300 Posts
Blind spot mirrors are the way to go. Had them on all my vehicles and they are most helpful. I pulled the rear headrests about 3 days after getting the truck. Stored in the trunk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts