Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a lift in a newer Honda Odyssey today while getting the transmission fluid & oil changed on my 2013 RTL. There were cameras on the side mirrors & the images showed on the display screen when indicators were turned on & I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade/replace the side mirrors on the Gen1 Ridgeline to have that feature (I realize it would require wiring everything in & linking it to the navigation screen). I was trying to look at available mirrors with the cameras built in (some of them even had lights) but I don't know if they are compatible (if the trim would fit if the old mirrors were removed).
As an alternative, I know there are cameras that can be attached to the mirrors but most of them are rather bulky & too obvious.
Has anyone done this upgrade on a Gen1? Any cameras to recommend? Are there mirrors that can be used as replacements (I've got the heated folding mirrors). I'm guessing I would need something that generates light because I can't see jack on the side of my truck in the dark (I live in an area that doesn't have street lights). Are there cameras that can illuminate things in the dark? Or would I need to get some sort of side lights in conjunction?

Another alternative would be to get some side cameras that fit just in front of the doors like these https://www.amazon.com/3T6B-Support-Switchable-Vehicle-Waterproof/dp/B07MJX6GMS/ but I don't know if they would need lights.

Any suggestions?

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue

Registered
I have been recording everything in front of me on a Garmin 1080 camera for the last 200,000 miles and about 5 years. In that time I have been struck twice by other drivers and the camera showed it was 100 percent the other drivers fault both times. One repair was for just shy of $10,000.00 and the most recent was for a little over $4,000.00. If I had not had a 1080 camera recording these incidents, I would have probably had to settle for a partial reimbursement in both cases. The camera doesn't lie. My Ridge moves and the camera records, where I am, my velocity and the date and time.

I had to drive a rental vehicle a few days ago and I felt naked without my Garmin recording everything.

It's another story entirely, to view what other drivers are doing in front of you. You get to re-witness some really stupid drivers doing really stupid stuff in front of you by playing back the video. As an added benefit, when you see the accident ahead of you, you may offer a video of what happened.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear: I'm looking for the SIDE view cameras & am not looking to record the data (although I may want to do that someday- just not at this juncture). I liked the feature of being able to see if there were cars coming from the side/behind me in spots where I normally can't see them and it goes wider than my mirrors would give me a view of when looking in to them. Sometimes I can't see in my mirrors at all because they get splattered with water or mud or at night when there is zero light reflecting in to the mirrors, all I see is darkness.
The areas around me that do have street lights are very poorly lit.
The feature I liked was being able to see what was next to me & slightly behind to the side when trying to change lanes. The Odyssey I rode in had cameras linked to the navigation screen that turned on when the turn signal was engaged so the driver could look at the screen & not have to worry about the mirror being fogged up, passengers putting arms in the way or having bright phones on that reflect off of the window so I can't see out (I do ask them to move the phones so they aren't reflecting but they don't always comply in time).
I'm not looking for 360- I'm looking for something designed to film the side because I have trouble seeing to my sides even with the mirrors. It was much easier to see things from the camera on the side.
The side mirrors with cameras seemed to be a new thing (at least new to me) but I'm guessing no one has tried the upgrade.

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
The Gen 4 Odyssey had those. Certain MY Accords, Civics and other vehicles also used them. I believe our Canadians had it on their Ridgeline as well.
If you truly believe that you need a camera, do know that the camera lens is also prone to aberration and with the water & dirt settling on them, they need frequent attention to keep clean.

My parents are elderly and I got them a wider rear view mirror (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A0J2JO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and also placed blind spot mirrors on the corners. I am in the process of installing this (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075N5LTNT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) above their license plate so they could see a bit better and also others can see them.

Honestly, at higher speeds, cameras are rather ineffective and also a huge waste in total darkness without lights to illuminate the object. Due to correction to compensate for low-light, many cameras blur and get grainy a lot. However, whatever your needs maybe, the options are out there.

Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
Blind spot mirrors are about $2.50. Much better than a camera. Try it, you'll like it!

Registered
I'd say you need to talk with some video people. They put Go Pro's all over vehicles, I've seen them down on fender wells, on bumpers, heck you can even mount them to shoot under your car. Alaska State Troopers comes to mind as they mount them all over those cars. Even on the series "Gold Rush" you see them mounted in every conceivable spot to record video. I'd say GoPro is the answer to viewing almost anything and I know they make the mounts to accomplish that task.

Registered
So, to answer your question correctly. The answer is yes, and no at the same time. No, there is not a way to add the ability of Honda Lane Watch to a gen 1 RL through the factory head unit...but...through an aftermarket you can. I know this because one time we had a customer at work with a 2015 Honda Fit with lanewatch that upgraded their stereo and the shop that installed it was able to preserve their lanewatch capability. I assume you would need a head unit with more than one camera input. the wiring would be tricky because you would need to have the right turn signal be the trigger for the camera. Honda has not done the camera on the driver side since the screen is to the right of the driver, it does not make sense to have them looking to their right when they are moving to their left. I think any exterior camera you get is going to be bulky and obvious...unless you want to spend the kind of "customization" money at a shop to make it not obvious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts