Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing aftermarket tube steps on my RL. There are 6 plastic plugs on each side of the truck, underneath. You have to remove them to bolt the brackets on. Anyone have problems removing them?

Mine are all stuck, or broken inside. Any idea on how to get them out without damaging the threaded holes? I was thinking of using a torch and heating up the holes and melting them out ( using a screwdriver to remove plastic )

Anyone else have this problem?

My RL never had steps installed, and it's a 07

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Here are some pics of the plastic ones I removed when installing my Romik Running Board Side Steps. As pgmartin said push on the middle to release them, then pull them out. I ended up pushing one into the rail so its in there forever. No big deal :) Easier to remove them when its warm outside. The plastic gets brittle during cold spells. It was 30 degrees when I tried to remove mine and I had to pull some out with a pliers.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know how they are supposed to come out :act006:

Mine are corroded and broke off in the hole.. I'm going to warm up the area with a heat gun and use a tap and clean up the threads in the hole.

Did it on 2 so far, working now..

the tap is m8x1.25 if anyone else needs to do this. I guess 7 years of salt took it's toll on the plastic

·
Registered
35 Posts
All the plugs broke off or were damaged during extraction, but i didn't worry about it.

The side steps, were probably the easiest piece of any of my mods to install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts