Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Side steps noise

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  NJ-RTL 
#1 ·
The dealer had already installed the side steps on the RTL model I wanted. I thought no problem, except now I find they are extremely noisy on wet days. The side steps are a hollow alloy and when you go through puddles a very loud reverberating "tin" metal noise echos throughout the interior :( . I called Honda, but they said no one else has complained. Has anyone else noticed this ??

#2 ·
I too have side steps. No noise, but, after 2 months the powder coating was chipping off the side steps at the section where it is welded, on both sides. Called my Honda service mgr. and he ordered a new pair and I have had them installed. So far no problems. Good luck with your side steps.

#3 ·
NJ-RTL said:
The dealer had already installed the side steps on the RTL model I wanted. I thought no problem, except now I find they are extremely noisy on wet days. The side steps are a hollow alloy and when you go through puddles a very loud reverberating "tin" metal noise echos throughout the interior :( . I called Honda, but they said no one else has complained. Has anyone else noticed this ??
Thanks for the info! I don't have the running boards or side steps but was leaning toward the steps. I think the noise of the steps would be annoying, so I'll definitely be going with the running boards...plus they'll look better on a my Black RTS!

-SixOpRidge

#4 ·
Most side steps do produce a sound when going through water, my MDX did the same thing and it was no big deal. It may be distracting driving for miles in a major downpour on the highway but other than that crank the radio up a little and relax.

Or Drill a hole in them and fill em with insulation :rolleyes:

#5 ·
bellteck said:
Most side steps do produce a sound when going through water, my MDX did the same thing and it was no big deal. It may be distracting driving for miles in a major downpour on the highway but other than that crank the radio up a little and relax.

Or Drill a hole in them and fill em with insulation :rolleyes:

Since Honda does not think there is a problem, I am considering filling the void with foam insulation. I am sure the hollow sound would stop with the cavity filled. Thanks!

#7 ·
I just purchased my Amazon Green Ridgeline RTL and I had the side steps installed--I too noticed a rather annoying sound when driving through puddles of water--a very loud tin-sound when the water would bead up against the steps--my good friend mentioned filling the tubes with foam insulation--I would wonder if this would void a warranty on them and I also wonder if anyone has the same problems with the running boards

#8 ·
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has noticed that very loud sound from the side steps. I have yet to take action on my own. I keep hoping more will complain to Honda, like I did, and Honda will come up with a fix. When I go back to the dealer for an oil change I will inquire with the dealer. If no help, I will remove and try to fill the void. For this reason I would not recommend anyone get the sidesteps unless you are in a dry area. Commuting to work and back after a rain storm can give me a headache!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.