Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I’ve noticed a few things related to indicators.

1) Intermittent activation of drive side door lock flashing LED.

2) Varying illumination and extinguish of “rear window open” indicator in instrument cluster.

3) Failure to alert driver seat belt not inserted.

On #1, I’ll occasionally notice the LED is not flashing when doors are locked via remote and/or driver door switch. This is noticed *mostly* upon return, when approaching the locked vehicle. Although when departing, I rarely look to confirm LED is flashing.

I thought little of that until yesterday, when noticing #2. It’s my habit to park in a covered garage @ work, leaving front windows lowered a few inches and back window ½ or fully open for the day. Lunch time yesterday, I unlocked and entered the vehicle. Upon opening the door, the (annoying) rear window chime sounded and gauge cluster indicator illuminated. Exiting the vehicle without starting the motor, the gauge indicator remained on even after locking the doors and interior light timed out. Locking the doors via remote left gauge cluster indicator ON. Unlocking doors, key inserted, closed rear window, locked doors. All appeared normal.

A few hours later, I left work. Uncharacteristically, I pulled out of the park structure without engaging seat belt. Noticing the gauge cluster idiot light wasn’t illuminated, I waited to hear the timed audible alert. Nothing happened. No alert, no light warning driver to engage seat belt. Inserting/removing belt while moving @ parking lot speed made no difference.

I’ll be paying close attention for next few days. Anyone have similar experience with variable behavior like this?

Murphy has been partying with paranoia in my universe lately. Hopefully, these aren’t harbingers of a pending kaplooey event.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Lately, I’ve noticed a few things related to indicators.

1) Intermittent activation of drive side door lock flashing LED.

2) Varying illumination and extinguish of “rear window open” indicator in instrument cluster.

3) Failure to alert driver seat belt not inserted.

On #1, I’ll occasionally notice the LED is not flashing when doors are locked via remote and/or driver door switch. This is noticed *mostly* upon return, when approaching the locked vehicle. Although when departing, I rarely look to confirm LED is flashing.

I thought little of that until yesterday, when noticing #2. It’s my habit to park in a covered garage @ work, leaving front windows lowered a few inches and back window ½ or fully open for the day. Lunch time yesterday, I unlocked and entered the vehicle. Upon opening the door, the (annoying) rear window chime sounded and gauge cluster indicator illuminated. Exiting the vehicle without starting the motor, the gauge indicator remained on even after locking the doors and interior light timed out. Locking the doors via remote left gauge cluster indicator ON. Unlocking doors, key inserted, closed rear window, locked doors. All appeared normal.

A few hours later, I left work. Uncharacteristically, I pulled out of the park structure without engaging seat belt. Noticing the gauge cluster idiot light wasn’t illuminated, I waited to hear the timed audible alert. Nothing happened. No alert, no light warning driver to engage seat belt. Inserting/removing belt while moving @ parking lot speed made no difference.

I’ll be paying close attention for next few days. Anyone have similar experience with variable behavior like this?

Murphy has been partying with paranoia in my universe lately. Hopefully, these aren’t harbingers of a pending kaplooey event.
I always enjoy your posts, and I know you love gadgets.

Have you checked your battery voltage lately? I don't care if you just replaced the battery... check the voltage at rest and while running.

Just a suggestion based on experience with this truck (and many others on this forum who have had "strange" things happening with the gauges).

A "slightly" low battery voltage will cause problems with this vehicle.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
+1 on battery or alternator.

Modern Cars/Trucks are computers with wheels and computers need good solid voltage. Without good voltage weird things happen.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
+1²

Funny, I read this earlier and thought the same, check the battery first, then get the alternator load tested, then I thought this is Six, he's already done this. Hope I was right earlier, but I'm with Norske & Larry, do it and validate the various sensors & meters.

Reactions: speedlever

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

I've learned to abandon chit I think I know (like: "I've got a new deep cycle glass mat battery, it CAN'T be bad") and follow advise of guys that have chased ghosts before me. So, with a few minutes to spare this morning, the trusty Fluke 77 was deployed to check out power @ batt and input to underhood power distribution. These were taken this morning after 06 sat overnight. Terminals are visually clean and tidy.

Batt_Static.jpg

Batt_Fuse_Static.jpg

The gauge installed a while back agrees with the Fluke, reporting ~1/10th lower than direct batt & underhood. Phone camera has trouble capturing contrast between red LED segments, the panel mounted gauge reads 12.5 while the USB thingy reports 12.4 with key in accessory position - which is the normal delta observed between these two devices. Probably a rounding algorithm.

Batt_Interior.jpg

With engine running, batt, input to fuse block and interior measure 14.2 @ idle regardless of load (such as headlights/AC on/interior, engine fans running, ETC), so I'm gonna call that an acceptable test of alternator output & V_Reg.

Additional note: something I hadn't observed or bothered to investigate before, the "Back Window Open" idiot light runs on its own timer, remaining on for ~3 min after closing the door - regardless of door lock state. Never knew that before cuz never bothered to check it out. Kinda odd that Honda chose that interval as it *could be* a reasonable scenario for a bad guy to check out a recently parked vehicle - looking for a quick way in as the owner enters a store or something.

Will continue observing variable behavior. For the time being, this will be a "huh" thing. Maybe Murphy will move along and mess with somebody else for a while. :)

Thanks again. Happy Saturday!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

I've learned to abandon chit I think I know (like: "I've got a new deep cycle glass mat battery, it CAN'T be bad") and follow advise of guys that have chased ghosts before me. So, with a few minutes to spare this morning, the trusty Fluke 77 was deployed to check out power @ batt and input to underhood power distribution. These were taken this morning after 06 sat overnight. Terminals are visually clean and tidy.

View attachment 243209

View attachment 243217

The gauge installed a while back agrees with the Fluke, reporting ~1/10th lower than direct batt & underhood. Phone camera has trouble capturing contrast between red LED segments, the panel mounted gauge reads 12.5 while the USB thingy reports 12.4 with key in accessory position - which is the normal delta observed between these two devices. Probably a rounding algorithm.

View attachment 243225

With engine running, batt, input to fuse block and interior measure 14.2 @ idle regardless of load (such as headlights/AC on/interior, engine fans running, ETC), so I'm gonna call that an acceptable test of alternator output & V_Reg.

Additional note: something I hadn't observed or bothered to investigate before, the "Back Window Open" idiot light runs on its own timer, remaining on for ~3 min after closing the door - regardless of door lock state. Never knew that before cuz never bothered to check it out. Kinda odd that Honda chose that interval as it *could be* a reasonable scenario for a bad guy to check out a recently parked vehicle - looking for a quick way in as the owner enters a store or something.

Will continue observing variable behavior. For the time being, this will be a "huh" thing. Maybe Murphy will move along and mess with somebody else for a while. :)

Thanks again. Happy Saturday!

OH SIX, is it possible (with all the gadgets you have installed) that a fuse has blown somewhere. Or, could a wire be touching ground or not completely crimped to a connector?

It might be a nightmare to pull the dash pieces and trouble shoot all that wiring you have added, but perhaps your intermittent problem is being caused by the gadgets.

just a thought...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I haven't had all the issue you stated but I'm starting to have illumination issues with mine.

Radio back light doesn't come on most of the time when I turn my lights on. Same with the AC readout, sometimes it's illuminated sometimes it's not. The AC readout is illuminated about 70% of the time & the radio is down to about 5% of the time.

I have to jiggle my fan knob to get the blower to kick in. This is getting worse with time. I'll be riding down the road & all of a sudden no air. Reach over jiggle the knob, boom air once again.

None of these are huge issues yet but if I would've liked Gen2 I would trade my 06 for one.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Are you out of adderall?
I assume this was NOT directed at me.

If it was directed at Oh Six, I can only say that I admire his abilities. I also admire his curious mind.

It is his "toy"... let him play with it.

S.T.U.V., I also admire your abilities. You provide skill sets to this forum that many do not possess. I appreciate your input. I'm sure the forum does too.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Well... This is disappointing.

I am not excited to hear that our Ridgelines may age like Subarus; with many niggling little electrical gremlins. I hope (no offense meant) that the newer Ridges do not suffer the same fate.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Well... This is disappointing.

I am not excited to hear that our Ridgelines may age like Subarus; with many niggling little electrical gremlins. I hope (no offense meant) that the newer Ridges do not suffer the same fate.
I don't think any older vehicle is immune to small electrical issues. As wiring, fuses and relays age, they can lose effectiveness or fail. The RL is susceptible to issues caused by a weak battery, but, all in all, it's a very solid electrical vehicle. Mine will celebrate its 10-year birthday next month and not a single electrical problem has occurred.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I assume this was NOT directed at me.

If it was directed at Oh Six, I can only say that I admire his abilities. I also admire his curious mind.

It is his "toy"... let him play with it.

S.T.U.V., I also admire your abilities. You provide skill sets to this forum that many do not possess. I appreciate your input. I'm sure the forum does too.
Well thank you for the complements. I appreciate that. I try my best. But no it was a joke directed towards oh six on an assumption he has gone crazy. Because I do agree...his abilities, wittyness, way with words and curiosity is fantastic.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
it was a joke directed towards oh six on an assumption he has gone crazy. Because I do agree...his abilities, wittyness, way with words and curiosity is fantastic.
I knew that, and do the same but I guess it doesnt come across like we may think to some and can put us in the dog house at times. you SOB :wink: gotta use that damn smilie or else.:grin:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I knew that, and do the same but I guess it doesnt come across like we may think to some and can put us in the dog house at times. you SOB :wink: gotta use that damn smilie or else.:grin:
I have a special made chair just for me in the corner. I am RJ (Randy JR) My dad is Randy. My mom kept yelling randy..and figuring he being the father would answer....No, Your G0D da.m.n son!! So I henceforth was known as RJ...My mom rarely ever said randy ever again.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I have a special made chair just for me in the corner. I am RJ (Randy JR) My dad is Randy. My mom kept yelling randy..and figuring he being the father would answer....No, Your G0D da.m.n son!! So I henceforth was known as RJ...My mom rarely ever said randy ever again.
I kinda had the same but Mom would use are middle name along with the rest, thats when you knew she was pissed.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OH SIX, is it possible (with all the gadgets you have installed) that a fuse has blown somewhere. Or, could a wire be touching ground or not completely crimped to a connector?

It might be a nightmare to pull the dash pieces and trouble shoot all that wiring you have added, but perhaps your intermittent problem is being caused by the gadgets.

just a thought...
Good question OldNorske.

Although I will say your question ignited a mental kerfuffle at the suggestion someone with my severe anal retentive affliction could be asked such a question – harrumph! I thought.

Seconds later, arrogance gave way to belly sized guffaw as it sank in how seriously reasonable your question is. And it made me think, I need to inventory changes made since 06 became the innocent victim of busy hand syndrome. Then I went all OCD on it. Damn it.

Now there's another project on the radar.

Are you out of adderall?
The doctor keeps telling me I should try it but I.... OH LOOK! A butterfly.

LOL

BTW: odd indicator behavior has disappeared. Maybe 06 caught wind of one of my brain farts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts