Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil yesterday after a long crappy winter.

What's all this crap over the transmission.. @$#@.

Always changed oil on minder to spec.. but it seems this is a weak point.

Cleaned it up with brake cleaner and we'll see how bad it gets, truck is due for a timing belt soon.. but maybe it's time to go see what Ford will give me on trade in. On the other hand, I could look at this as incentive for my mid-life teardown, I'm not likely to drop the $1500-2000 on getting it fixed at the dealer.

2007, ~145,000km.

Not what I expected from a Honda.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did see that in the searches.. unfortunately after cleaning it up it's pretty clear where the oil is coming from. Sigh.

Otoh maybe it's an excuse to get the engine top supports and a gantry for the garage..

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts
I did see that in the searches.. unfortunately after cleaning it up it's pretty clear where the oil is coming from. Sigh.

Otoh maybe it's an excuse to get the engine top supports and a gantry for the garage..
Once your headed down that road, maybe you can find the parts to bore it out to 3.7l and find an extra 25-50hp ;)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Changed the oil yesterday after a long crappy winter.

What's all this crap over the transmission.. @$#@.

Always changed oil on minder to spec.. but it seems this is a weak point.

Cleaned it up with brake cleaner and we'll see how bad it gets, truck is due for a timing belt soon.. but maybe it's time to go see what Ford will give me on trade in. On the other hand, I could look at this as incentive for my mid-life teardown, I'm not likely to drop the $1500-2000 on getting it fixed at the dealer.

2007, ~145,000km.

Not what I expected from a Honda.
For tracking purposes, what part of the country are you in??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Land of rust. Truck is remarkably clean and free of rust, factory undercoat is holding up well.

Going to watch the leak carefully for now; I might try a shorter oil change interval to see if that helps at all. So far I've been following the MM.

I'm planning on the timing belt, radiator and related service in August, will be doing that myself as with all my vehicles. Was going to do shocks then as well, might as well keep on going and take the whole damn thing apart. I hate leaks, but all said, the only issue I've had was a bad coolant temp sensor that was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'm going to try to keep mental track of whether or not we see any main seal leaks on trucks in milder climate areas. I'm guessing the freezing temps helps accelerate aging of the polymer seal materials. (Selfishly hoping I'm more or less immune to this expensive failure mode in So. Calif.) ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts