Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2012, I have the stock aluminum 5-spoke rims, which I use only for snow tires during the winter. After year 5, they have a nasty yellow discoloration, not everywhere, but in the corners and inside surface of the rims. It won't scrub off - appears to be the clearcoat itself discoloring. Any hints as to what it is, and what to do about it? It looks nasty and I really don't want to have the rims refinished. Thanks!

Flymo

·
Registered
265 Posts
How often do you clean them during use? Do you store them clean or dirty?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How often do you clean them during use? Do you store them clean or dirty?
I do not clean them very often during the winter - too cold. I always clean and wax them before storage. They are typically on the vehicle from Thanksgiving through mid-April, which totals to 5 months a year, so 25 months use over the 4 1/2 years I have owned the Ridgeline. I would have expected them to hold up better.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do not clean them very often during the winter - too cold. I always clean and wax them before storage. They are typically on the vehicle from Thanksgiving through mid-April, which totals to 5 months a year, so 25 months use over the 4 1/2 years I have owned the Ridgeline. I would have expected them to hold up better.
I've seen the same on numerous wheels. The grit and grime from winter's road chemicals/salt builds up in the corners and will discolor the wheel if not cleaned periodically.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I am thinking the plastidip route is the way to go. It's just annoying to have to do that - I've had plenty of vehicles that have had the same routine in the winter, and the wheels have held up just fine.

Flymo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts