Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
That second mount point is likely used by the Canadian Ridgelines as they get dual horns.
...and the 2019 US Ridgeline, which now has dual-note horns. :)

Oh, and the "unused bracket" the OP used isn't where the second horn mounts from the factory. Instead, it mounts on the right side of the vehicle behind the bumper.

I used the PIAA dual bass horns.
I really like the 330/400 Hz frequencies of the PIAA Superior Bass Horns.

The 400/500 Hz horns used on the 2017-2019 Canadian and 2019 US Ridglines are still too car-like - even for the Ridgeline - but, I'm just happy to have two horns now!

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Compared to the meep meep of the single horn, any dual horn would be better!! I was embarrassed to even blow the horn before this upgrade - needed to drive with my fake nose, mustache and glasses disguise!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, thanks for all the good information re the upgrade and access for the RL horns. I too used the PIAA 'bass' plus higher frequency dual horn set, but one or both of mine aren't reacting well in the cold. Sound very good on a warm day, not so great in cold weather. Thinking these PIAA are more than the higher current dual horns from Hella and others because of the low current requirement? Curious since other horn sets are half the price. Anyway, my next try will be with a pair of Hellas (6A each) and a additional relay.

Adding a couple of progress pictures of my dual horn bracket - bent from a two of what I'd call a "L" brackets (3" corner braces) and short hardware with lock washers - in order to mount the horns pointing horn down and utilize the space to each side of the chosen mounting point. The fastening angle roughly matching the angel of the tab in the engine bay at mounting point. I'm also showing the harness I put together to go from accessory stud on the positive batt terminal, to inline fuse holder, then on to relay. I used a 'waterproof' Bosch style 12V 30 amp relay with wired socket. Utilized Honda OEM connector (match for original horn drive) from College Honda dual horn harness (was purchased and used for the failed low current PIAA horns). Split output with terminals crimped to match horn spades. Lug added for relay signal ground. The relay was ultimately mounted on the mounting bolt (to body) for the negative battery terminal. You all know the likely mounting point with threaded hole. Sorry the picture once the horns and relay were installed was truly worthless. I knew what was there, and couldn't make heads or tails of it, so i didn't share.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I too used the PIAA 'bass' plus higher frequency dual horn set, but one or both of mine aren't reacting well in the cold. Sound very good on a warm day, not so great in cold weather.
Interesting. One of my PIAA horns was bad, too...

The 330 Hz horn would sometimes "hum" instead of "honk" during bench-testing using a fully-charged, 12-volt battery./

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
Not sure about the Sport model but my 01/18 build EX-L has dual horns, along with sound insulating glass
All Canadian second-generation Ridgelines have dual-note horns.

The US Ridgeline second-generation Ridgeline didn't have dual-note horns until the 2019 year model.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Anyone had problems with their horn upgrade? I installed the PIAA Superior Bass horns about 10 months ago, but this week they stopped working.

The first time this happened I was driving home and then I had no horn when I went to wake up some guy at a light who was surfing Instagram or such on his phone. I got home, pulled up close to the garage in the shade and pulled everything out to inspect the connections. Everything was good and the fuse was fine. Checked the horn and it worked.

Today I'm backing out of a parking spot at the grocery and the lady next to me decides to try and back into me; no horn. After desperately maneuvering to get clear of her, I came home and still no horn.

My best guess is it's heat related since it's 90 outside today and was warm on that drive home. But the horns worked fine all summer, at least when I needed them.

Any ideas out there?

MP

·
Registered
385 Posts
When you checked the connections did you check the ground point? You may want to remove it, clean all connections and reassemble. It also might be that one horn is dead and the other one is intermittent. I think one of my Piaa horns is dead but I haven’t checked them yet.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
It turns out the connector from the College Hills splitter to the power line was not fully pushed in. It wasn't loose when I had checked it earlier, but apparently it had never fully seated. This time I pushed every connector into place and this connector probably moved 1/8 of an inch and clicked. Probably just poor job on my initial install that slowly pulled apart with expansion and contraction from the heat.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts