Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing this?
Sporadically - say every third time - I start my RTL-E up, I get the 'no signal' error on my Sirius/XM radio. Sometimes it is a semi-cloudy day, but other times pretty much clear sky. No obstructions - always starting from the same place in my driveway. And when it does happen, about every third time it happens, the delay is 5-8 MINUTES before the signal is acquired? That is a LONG time (and I now typically switch over to FM because it pisses me off!).
Meanwhile, anytime, I can walk over to my wife's RAV4, start it up, and get instant signal. Does anyone who is using Sirius/XM on the G2 think maybe the antenna doesn't pick up signal as well as other cars they have had with satellite radio? I can take it into the shop, but I think they will see it as a 'user' issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
I have a RTL with the base radio so I can't compare to yours but I have a add on XM/Sirrius radio plugged into the Aux port. Mine takes about 30seconds going from cold start to receiving even inside my garage. One thing I like about this receiver is the ability to skip back and play previous songs. It keeps about an hour of previous music on it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
One thing I like about this receiver is the ability to skip back and play previous songs. It keeps about an hour of previous music on it.
So does the G2. You can rewind/replay up to 60 minutes of the channel you are listening to and 30 minutes of each of your six preset channels.

Sorry, don't have an answer on the delay or why the radios in your truck and your wife's car are different. I've done a fair bit of reading on Sirius, XM and the merger. Apparently, XM and now SXM relies more on terrestrial antennas than Sirius did as they don't have the same satellite triangulation Sirius did, and Sirius's satellites have been retired now.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I've done a fair bit of reading on Sirius, XM and the merger. Apparently, XM and now SXM relies more on terrestrial antennas than Sirius did as they don't have the same satellite triangulation Sirius did, and Sirius's satellites have been retired now.
I think it is slightly different how you're interpreting, in that the Sirius satellites have not been retired. I think they are just trying to get current car makers to make the radios for just one constellation. They are currently two separate systems as a by-product from the original days when XM had a set... and Sirius had a set, and the radios manufactured were specific to those clusters and they always and forever will be. But if they retired the Sirius satellites, all of those radios would go silent. So, perhaps that is maybe what you are reading about the depending more on repeaters to aid one of the constellations. Maybe to help transition, don't know.

The OP has a Toyota and a Honda... they are both native to an XM receiver (v.s Sirius), so outside of radio issues, the satellite reception "should" be the same. Sirius XM has ground repeaters in many areas and so the signal reception depends much on the location of the vehicle if it needs to decide between ground or satellite. If the OP is in a fringe area that causes the receiver to constantly negotiate between ground and satellite, that could account for the delay. Or yes, the OP could have an issue and should have the radio reviewed. By the way in the advance menu I think I saw that you can view the ground signal v.s satellite signal. Eh, just guessing.

Edit: Here is a last second thought. During the holidays they do special channels, when a satellite services changes things like that, it can be a bunch of information that needs to trickle into your receiver. The same when they changeback to regular channels which would have been not too long ago of your noted issues. If your trips are rather short and the radio never gets time to fully take in the refreshed data, it can be buffered as a task that still needs to happen the next time the radio is turned on causing a delay.

One thought to help in that is to turn the radio on, go to their website, and REFRESH the radio by entering your radio ID.
Here is a link I use for mine: https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action#/refreshradio

Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is slightly different how you're interpreting, in that the Sirius satellites have not been retired. I think they are just trying to get current car makers to make the radios for just one constellation. They are currently two separate systems as a by-product from the original days when XM had a set... and Sirius had a set, and the radios manufactured were specific to those clusters and they always and forever will be. But if they retired the Sirius satellites, all of those radios would go silent. So, perhaps that is maybe what you are reading about the depending more on repeaters to aid one of the constellations. Maybe to help transition, don't know.

The OP has a Toyota and a Honda... they are both native to an XM receiver (v.s Sirius), so outside of radio issues, the satellite reception "should" be the same. Sirius XM has ground repeaters in many areas and so the signal reception depends much on the location of the vehicle if it needs to decide between ground or satellite. If the OP is in a fringe area that causes the receiver to constantly negotiate between ground and satellite, that could account for the delay. Or yes, the OP could have an issue and should have the radio reviewed. By the way in the advance menu I think I saw that you can view the ground signal v.s satellite signal. Eh, just guessing.

Edit: Here is a last second thought. During the holidays they do special channels, when a satellite services changes things like that, it can be a bunch of information that needs to trickle into your receiver. The same when they changeback to regular channels which would have been not too long ago of your noted issues. If your trips are rather short and the radio never gets time to fully take in the refreshed data, it can be buffered as a task that still needs to happen the next time the radio is turned on causing a delay.

One thought to help in that is to turn the radio on, go to their website, and REFRESH the radio by entering your radio ID.
Here is a link I use for mine: https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action#/refreshradio

Good luck.
Good feedback. Thanks. I'll give that a try. I was leaning more along the lines of "the RL satellite antenna is not as good as the RAV4 one"; or "my RL satellite radio is OEM whereas my RAV4 is an add-on I put in"; or "all the fancy features of the RL satellite radio (images, buffering of songs to allow skip forward/back, etc.) require more 'spin up' time than the lesser features of the radio I put in the RAV4". But all that said... doesn't make sense to me that I get a 'no signal' message unless... as it says... I am getting no signal (i.e. not buffering or whatever). I'll try your refresh idea.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Good feedback. Thanks. I'll give that a try. I was leaning more along the lines of "the RL satellite antenna is not as good as the RAV4 one"; or "my RL satellite radio is OEM whereas my RAV4 is an add-on I put in"; or "all the fancy features of the RL satellite radio (images, buffering of songs to allow skip forward/back, etc.) require more 'spin up' time than the lesser features of the radio I put in the RAV4". But all that said... doesn't make sense to me that I get a 'no signal' message unless... as it says... I am getting no signal (i.e. not buffering or whatever). I'll try your refresh idea.
Did it work?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Can someone explain to me on how...in the Owner's Manual it said, and AFAIK these are subscription services...yet it plays fine on the truck...is it a 1 year free thingy ?

sidetrack but similar...the live traffic on NAV...is it forever or is it a 1 year thing too ?

Thanks. :smile:

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Can someone explain to me on how...in the Owner's Manual it said, and AFAIK these are subscription services...yet it plays fine on the truck...is it a 1 year free thingy ?

sidetrack but similar...the live traffic on NAV...is it forever or is it a 1 year thing too ?

Thanks. :smile:
Yeah, they are complimentary for a trial period. Don't quote me on the period, I think SXM is 3 months... and Honda Link is something like a year. I can't recall exactly. I had mine transferred, so I didn't take notice.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Yeah, they are complimentary for a trial period. Don't quote me on the period, I think SXM is 3 months... and Honda Link is something like a year. I can't recall exactly. I had mine transferred, so I didn't take notice.
I think that 3 month trial is correct. I still get it free in my car because the unit is so old as well as the car. Got XM when they first started.
Sister has her subscription in the Ridgeline as she had for 10yrs. When we purchased the 2009 Ford Focus for my nephew it had Sirus. Sister I think kept Sirus in the Focus for 1 year but got rid of it after that. Sometimes they will open a week for you to listen for free and try to get people to renew.
Last week the loaner Acura TLX I had the XM/Sirus was not activated so could not get anything but what was playing on preview channel. That car had 12,000 miles on it 2015 model. So as a loaner been around for a little while. Maybe time to be sold this was mileager god daughter got her Acura at said it was loaner vehicle.
Back this summer in June had loaner Acura RDX XM/Sirus was working in that vehicle it only had 1,200 miles on it. I guess they come from the factory activated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back to the original intention of my post: "...sporadic long delay for signal at each start up..."
After dealing with this for over a year (I know... but it WAS sporadic, and eventually I would just switch to FM) and never hearing anyone here or via the dealer that had the same issue... I was finally able to get the problem to occur at the dealership and could recreate the problem repeatedly. So first they replaced the satallite radio antenna (basically because that was a fast and cheap solution. Problem recurred, immediately. So they worked with Honda and authorized a entire head unit replacement (refurbished from what I hear, but appeared brand new). Problem is gone. It was the head unit. Nice to have my sat. radio back. Wish I had the $ back for all the months I lived with crappy service.

Reactions: Last Train
1 - 12 of 12 Posts