Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about Hondas Satellite radio... does anyone know which systems satellites it uses? I know Sirius and XM have combined but some units use the different Satellites still. Where I live the XM reception is VARY bad but the Sirius works fine...

·
Registered
99 Posts
It uses the XM sat's.
As you may or may not be aware the Sirius satellites are higher in the sky, at least here in northern New England and have less break up from trees and mountain sides.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Here is a GIF of the orbits which will help to explain the difference.

http://www.tiger-usa.com/sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

Personally I prefer my Android Auto and Spotify via a T-Mobile account that does not charge for most streaming content. OTOH, if you are out of coverage a lot or have to have what XM/Sirius offer (mostly sports) then go for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waiting for delivery of my BE here in Newfoundland. I had a F150 that used the Sirius satellites with no issues but changed to a Ram eco diesel which uses XM and I had to cancel by subscription it was that bad....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW... first time Honda/Ridgeline buyer....needed a full size for my work or I would of had one sooner! Love the new design

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a question about Hondas Satellite radio... does anyone know which systems satellites it uses? I know Sirius and XM have combined but some units use the different Satellites still. Where I live the XM reception is VARY bad but the Sirius works fine...
If you are "newfie" then XM on the island of Newfoundland is quite bad, due to the angle to the horizon. Not much you can do about it, unfortunately.

It's not that it doesn't work, it's just that you have much higher chance of trees and rocks and moose getting in the way of your signal because the birds are much closer to your horizon than, say, someone in Miami.

I spent 3 weeks vacation in NL earlier this year, and was happy my Dodge Charger rental had XM, but there were long stretches of the TCH where it was cutting in and out non-stop.
:surprise:

BTW when I was in NL I was surprised how popular/common the gen1 RL seemed to be... Far more of them there as a percentage of pickups, than in Ontario. Tacoma was well represented as well. For the fullsize and big 3, Ram seemed to be #1, Ford and Tundra about equal #2 and C/GMC a distant third.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes and the more east you go the reception gets even worse. I'm in St John's so you can't go much more east than that. Lol
Your breakdown of the truck types in this area seems about right... Rams are everywhere but I do see a lot of Ridgelines around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe it's XM. We never had an issue with it, but we like Sirius better. When our yearly subscription ran out on the CRV we chose not to renew. We have two life memberships anyways to Sirius that was upgraded to SiriusXm and the radios are transferable. Every once in awhile we lose a signal due to the tree line. If I remember correctly, we seldom lost a signal in the CRV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts