Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the Burtman Industries skid plate? Or are there any other companies that make a skid plate for our trucks? If so, what's your opinion? I'm either going to buy or fabricate something for my RL.

I know that something is better than nothing and I do take the truck on some pretty nasty trails. Last weekend I had to navigate over a lot of rocks...more than whats usually on the particular trail I was on. Decided it's time to make the investment.

What's everyone's experience?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have the front and rear on mine - well-made, fit perfectly. Not made for crawling (neither is the RL), but perfect for rocky trails, etc.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Keep in mind that while you can easily change the oil with the front skid plate, the rear plate must basically be removed to change the VTM-4 fluid. Granted, that's not as often as oil changes, but it's a pretty big pain in the butt, imo. Was reminded of this tonight when I changed the rear diff fluid...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got one for sale for the front if anybody wants it. It won't fit on the 2014 I just got and I took it off my 2006. I was thinking about stripping it and painting it again before I sell it but it wouldn't affect the function. You could contact Jason for the bolts I'm sure, once you put the bolts and the spacer in the tube frame, I don't think there's a way to fish them back out. So I didn't.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I've got one for sale for the front if anybody wants it. It won't fit on the 2014 I just got and I took it off my 2006. I was thinking about stripping it and painting it again before I sell it but it wouldn't affect the function. You could contact Jason for the bolts I'm sure, once you put the bolts and the spacer in the tube frame, I don't think there's a way to fish them back out. So I didn't.
give me a price SpecialEdition....

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's an awesome skid plate! Where did you get it from? I want one.
AND, it comes with a Smith...5906, 4043? A skid plate that requires a background check, too cool. I really do like the skid and I want one. How do I get one? I'll put the Smith with the others:act035:.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts

Burtman Industries
http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=rdge_skid_plate

Ironically it saved me some damage today. I leave for work at 4:30am and it was raining. Driving down the interstate I came over a hill and saw a truck and trailer with it's hazzards flashing. I move over to the left lane and notice someone with a flash light. As I take my foot off the gas I see a bunch of wreckage across both lanes. With no room to work and a wet road with I try to straddle the object in my lane. The Ridge has what 8" of clearance... I needed a foot. The fender from the trailer was what I hit.

Saved all the plastic and I think the trans from being hit. It just paid for itself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am new to this forum. I have a 2019 RTL-E. Reading up on Honda factory -vs- No-Lo -vs- Burtman's skid plates? any opinions, suggestions, or recommendations? Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I am new to this forum. I have a 2019 RTL-E. Reading up on Honda factory -vs- No-Lo -vs- Burtman's skid plates? any opinions, suggestions, or recommendations? Thanks all.
As far as I know there is no "factory" skid plate. There is a JSport aluminum skid plate that is carried by some Honda dealers.

The No-Lo Designs is also aluminum skid plates (I have f & r No-Lo Designs) that appear to be well designed and simple to install and manufactured by a ROC member.

The Burtman skid plates are not manufactured by him and appear to be made of high carbon steel being relatively heavy. Owners of the Burtman branded skid plates appear to be happy with their purchase, I however am really annoyed by Burtman's marketing tactics and lack of answering questions at all or providing non-answer answers to product questions.

I highly recommend the No-Low Designs skid plates. And, you have posted your question in the 1G section.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the Burtman Industries skid plate? Or are there any other companies that make a skid plate for our trucks? If so, what's your opinion? I'm either going to buy or fabricate something for my RL.

I know that something is better than nothing and I do take the truck on some pretty nasty trails. Last weekend I had to navigate over a lot of rocks...more than whats usually on the particular trail I was on. Decided it's time to make the investment.

What's everyone's experience?
go to the source: Race Skids - Truck Skid Plates for Honda Ridgelines and Toyota 4Runners. I bought mine (front and rear from Burtman) but he is reselling them from raceskids. Eric is very forthcoming and answered many questions I had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as I know there is no "factory" skid plate. There is a JSport aluminum skid plate that is carried by some Honda dealers.

The No-Lo Designs is also aluminum skid plates (I have f & r No-Lo Designs) that appear to be well designed and simple to install and manufactured by a ROC member.

The Burtman skid plates are not manufactured by him and appear to be made of high carbon steel being relatively heavy. Owners of the Burtman branded skid plates appear to be happy with their purchase, I however am really annoyed by Burtman's marketing tactics and lack of answering questions at all or providing a non-answer answer to product questions.

I highly recommend the No-Low Designs skid plates. And, you have posted your question in the 1G section.
Farther, Thanks much for the information. Sorry I put this in the gen1 thread...
I would think the No-Lo product would be better in terms of weight now that I learn what Burtman’s product is made of. I will shift over to a gen2 discussion thread for further information. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts