Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I didn't find anyone talking about this in the forums, so if you know, you can direct me to the thread.

New 2019 RTL-E owner. When I turn on the heated steering wheel, I feel a slight electronic shocking/tingle sensation. It's not comfortable and makes me think either my hands are super sensitive or something is wrong with the steering wheel. It's so slight that I don't think everyone would be able to feel it, but it's definitely present.

You know those old plasma globes that you touch and the current is directed to your finger? A slight sensation is passed through it. It's the closest way I can describe what this feels like.

Is something wrong or is it normal? Does anyone else feel it? Maybe it has to do with the type of heating that the steering wheel uses?

Thanks for any clarity you can provide,

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
I haven't noticed that in either of the two Ridgelines I've had with heated steering wheels (2017 and 2019).

I have, however, experienced an "electrical" sensation when lightly running my fingers across certain devices like my aluminum MacBook when the AC charger is connected. Enough though the charger only sends low-voltage DC to the laptop, my fingers feel a 60-cycle "slip-stick" condition. This has occurred with other devices as well, but I can't remember which ones right off hand.

I believe the resistance heating element in the heated steering wheel uses high frequency pulse width modulation for control based on the reading of a temperature sensor embedded in the steering wheel. Perhaps you have hemochromatosis and are hypersensitive to the effects of magnetic induction.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I haven't noticed that in either of the two Ridgelines I've had with heated steering wheels (2017 and 2019).

I have, however, experienced an "electrical" sensation when lightly running my fingers across certain devices like my aluminum MacBook when the AC charger is connected. Enough though the charger only sends low-voltage DC to the laptop, my fingers feel a 60-cycle "slip-stick" condition. This has occurred with other devices as well, but I can't remember which ones right off hand.

I believe the resistance heating element in the heated steering wheel uses high frequency pulse width modulation for control based on the reading of a temperature sensor embedded in the steering wheel. Perhaps you have hemochromatosis and are hypersensitive to the effects of magnetic induction.
Our RLs can do just about anything, including medical diagnosis. Who says this isn't a real truck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be bringing it in soon to get my plates and have the grounding checked out. I guess I'll get my iron levels checked too? Thanks for the ideas. I'll check back if there are any updates!

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
Can others feel the sensation you are feeling? If not, my crystal ball says the dealer won't find a problem.

Don't get near any MRI machines and be sure to dry off completely after showering - we don't want you exploding or rusting! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts

Since you show sensitivity, stay away from cancer causing windmills.

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
I see what you did there. :)

As a child, I remember watching an episode of 20-20 that was about a family who lived under a high-voltage transmission line and they all got cancer and sued the utility company. This was decades before people started worrying about potential health hazards of RF exposure and before a police officer sued his employer and a radar gun manufacturer after being diagnosed with testicular cancer.

At a recent city function, we had a resident complain to the mayor about a new 5G cell tower that is scheduled for construction. She is genuinely concerned about damage to the trees, squirrels, and residents of the city. We've also had people complain about the city's use of wireless water meters and wireless electric meters while wearing Bluetooth headsets connected to phones in their pockets. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey there. I didn't find anyone talking about this in the forums, so if you know, you can direct me to the thread.

New 2019 RTL-E owner. When I turn on the heated steering wheel, I feel a slight electronic shocking/tingle sensation. It's not comfortable and makes me think either my hands are super sensitive or something is wrong with the steering wheel. It's so slight that I don't think everyone would be able to feel it, but it's definitely present.

You know those old plasma globes that you touch and the current is directed to your finger? A slight sensation is passed through it. It's the closest way I can describe what this feels like.

Is something wrong or is it normal? Does anyone else feel it? Maybe it has to do with the type of heating that the steering wheel uses?

Thanks for any clarity you can provide,
Take it to your nearest Honda dealer for service. If it is still under warranty, it is a free fix.
YES you have a problem! You should not be feeling an electric shock. I don't ever feel anything closely resembling any type of shock on mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts