Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

181 - 200 of 252 Posts

·
Vendor
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
I had just purchase the sprint booster from Jason. It will be arriving tomorrow evening. I will be sharing my thoughts and review as well. I am thinking that it will completely eliminate the throttle lag. I always put my RL sand mode on most stop lights then switch right away to normal mode.... hoping after the install that I wouldn't need to do that anymore.
Great, thanks for the reply. Don't forget to come back as well.

in stock! http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just got the sprint booster last week. You can feel a difference right away even at the low setting. My wife who only drove the truck one time before the install was like.. What did you do? How come it's faster now?! lol. I told her it's not faster, I just made it more responsive. I have already drove a few hundred miles at various settings and decided to keep it at Green 9 for now. Thank you Jason for this amazing product. Thank you archiemagtibay for the install video.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Be sure to buy from Jason if you opt for this. There are a lot of bogus sites. For example, Sprintboostersales.com (bogus) is not the same as Sprintboosterusa.com (real).

We live in a world of knockoffs....

·
Vendor
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Just got the sprint booster last week. You can feel a difference right away even at the low setting. My wife who only drove the truck one time before the install was like.. What did you do? How come it's faster now?! lol. I told her it's not faster, I just made it more responsive. I have already drove a few hundred miles at various settings and decided to keep it at Green 9 for now. Thank you Jason for this amazing product. Thank you archiemagtibay for the install video.
Awesome. That's what should happen. It's night and day!

And thanks @archiemagtibay for the video

·
Vendor
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Be sure to buy from Jason if you opt for this.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Again, I enjoy selling this part because it's one of the few items I sell where people actually call me back or email saying THANK YOU. I often here "My wife asked what I changed to the truck and noticed the difference instantly" and most people think they won't notice.This Sprint Booster keeps everyone happy.

Back in stock! http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr - Shipping express UPS and we are only ones that offer a 5 year warranty on this.

·
Vendor
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #187

·
Vendor
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #188 (Edited)
There's a YouTube video showing a guy in a e90 3 series with a manual shaving 0.5s off his 0-60 ,time. He did five runs each before and after the install. I think the biggest difference is that you each wide open throttle faster which would translate to faster launches. Also for a manual car, every time you shift , you get back to full throttle quicker with this mod. I also have this in every vehicle I own and didn't do it for faster 0-60, I got it to feel the difference in day to day driving. I know someone on here said they were also getting better mpg and can't find the post, but if I do I'll link it.

·
Administrator
15,243 Posts
There's a YouTube video showing a guy in a e90 3 series with a manual shaving 0.5s off his 0-60 ,time. He did five runs each before and after the install. I think the biggest difference is that you each wide open throttle faster which would translate to faster launches. Also for a manual car, every time you shift , you get back to full throttle quicker with this mod. I also have this in every vehicle I own and didn't do it for faster 0-60, I got it to feel the difference in day to day driving. I know someone on here said they were also getting better mpg and can't find the post, but if I do I'll link it.

Have you or Johnson Research & Performance informed all the automakers about this device? Imagine being able to reduce 0-60 times by such a huge margin (or at all) with a simple, non-destructive, plug-in device with no consequences! Those silly automakers are missing the opportunity of a lifetime!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have you or Johnson Research & Performance informed all the automakers about this device? Imagine being able to reduce 0-60 times by such a huge margin (or at all) with a simple, non-destructive, plug-in device with no consequences! Those silly automakers are missing the opportunity of a lifetime!
:ROFLMAO:

I'm curious, zroger, if you've ever had an opportunity to drive an RL with one of these installed? I just ordered one as my daily commute involves a 3000' elevation climb and Im hoping this will make throttle control a little smoother and easier.
Will report back.

·
Administrator
15,243 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

I'm curious, zroger, if you've ever had an opportunity to drive an RL with one of these installed? I just ordered one as my daily commute involves a 3000' elevation climb and Im hoping this will make throttle control a little smoother and easier.
Will report back.
I have never driven a Ridgeline with a Sprint Booster nor have I ever drank diet water or wore a copper bracelet - I'm missing out!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have never driven a Ridgeline with a Sprint Booster nor have I ever drank diet water or wore a copper bracelet - I'm missing out!
Cool, I'm not arguing for or against. Just looking for your experience if you had had one.

I feel like I have a decent grasp of what the booster is capable of and not capable of. I know I won't have a faster vehicle. What I hope to gain is a 'quicker' vehicle due to reduced delay/lag in the electrical/mechanical communication.

What I'm curious to know, is if this 'lag' is by design for the purpose of preventing too much jerk force on the drivetrain and thereby extending lifespan and reliability or rather just for added fuel efficiency or perceived 'smoothness'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just thought I'd add my experience with the Sprint Booster 3 to this thread. Here's my take:
  1. First off, I was skeptical -- I didn't think this device could possibly make a significant difference. The only reasons I even tried it were a) because I could return it in 30 days if I didn't like it; and b) because it had the "Valet" and "Lock" modes, which I thought were kinda cool.
  2. First thing I noticed was that the build quality on the Booster isn't that great. In fact, I couldn't even plug in the controller without trimming plastic of that connector (the plastic casing covered the controller connecting port). This did nothing to relieve my skepticism.
  3. Then, as I have a 2019 RTL, and I could not install the Booster without removing the pedal assembly (it was WAY too tight up above the pedal, with too many things sticking out from under the dash that blocked access). I couldn't even get the linkage disconnected without removing the pedal assembly. I wasn't feeling so good about my purchase at this point, especially since I was assured I wouldn't have to remove my pedal to do the installation. The good news: the pedal assembly just 3 bolts and took less than a minute to remove.
  4. Next there was a weird connection problem that created a hiccup. A white plastic insert with "fins" transferred from the dash-side of the accelerator cable connector to the accelerator-side connector. This made it impossible to mate up with the Booster. Now I was pretty much ready to send the Booster back. But I contacted Jason Burtman, and he contacted the manufacturer, and apparently this had happened before...and so we got it figured out (I had to remove the plastic insert from one side and put it back in the other...presto!).
  5. When the Booster then installed just as easily as initially promised (LOL), I was ready to give it a try.
  6. It took me a few days for me to find the right setting. I tried Sport 4-9 and then Race 4-9. I settled on Race 4. And, after driving it for a little over a week, I would strongly recommend this device for anyone who wants to make their Ridgeline more responsive and "peppy." It feels like I'm driving an Audi Quattro instead of a truck -- especially when cornering, or taking on-ramps to the freeway, or passing folks on the freeway. Do I know why or how it works? No I do not. It just does.
  7. I live in San Diego, and folks here routinely cut people off, switch lanes without signaling, race around people who take too long to turn or cross an intersection, don't yield the right-of-way when they're supposed to, etc. In other words: you have to drive pretty defensively, especially if you can't "power out of a situation." Well...with the Booster in Race 4 mode I can easily power out of pretty much any situation now. :) Which means I don't have to take crap from obnoxious drivers anymore. Which is kinda sweet.
  8. That said, the Booster has also DEFINITELY changed my driving style. So much so that I am losing about 2 mpg when driving in the city. On longer trips I plan on using Eco mode (you can use it even with the Booster "on") to gain some MPG. But the "psychological effect" of the Booster on my driving is pretty noticeable. In fact, I won't be drinking coffee when I drive anymore either -- I'm just having too much fun driving, and I end up spilling it all over myself.
  9. When I took my wife for a test drive, she was impressed. She was also a little worried. So I've had to reassure her that I won't be hot-rodding all of the time.
  10. Lastly, I tried the Valet and Lock modes, and they work.
I guess my only concern over the longer term is that I might be wearing out my truck faster because of how I drive. I'm accelerating, braking and turning much more quickly...and I know this will take its toll over time. So I may eventually switch to a less aggressive setting (for example, I also liked Sport 9...just not as much as Race 4) for daily driving. Right now, though, I'm enjoying any excuse to hit the road.

Okay...that's my take.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just thought I'd add my experience with the Sprint Booster 3 to this thread. Here's my take:
  1. First off, I was skeptical -- I didn't think this device could possibly make a significant difference. The only reasons I even tried it were a) because I could return it in 30 days if I didn't like it; and b) because it had the "Valet" and "Lock" modes, which I thought were kinda cool.
  2. First thing I noticed was that the build quality on the Booster isn't that great. In fact, I couldn't even plug in the controller without trimming plastic of that connector (the plastic casing covered the controller connecting port). This did nothing to relieve my skepticism.
  3. Then, as I have a 2019 RTL, and I could not install the Booster without removing the pedal assembly (it was WAY too tight up above the pedal, with too many things sticking out from under the dash that blocked access). I couldn't even get the linkage disconnected without removing the pedal assembly. I wasn't feeling so good about my purchase at this point, especially since I was assured I wouldn't have to remove my pedal to do the installation. The good news: the pedal assembly just 3 bolts and took less than a minute to remove.
  4. Next there was a weird connection problem that created a hiccup. A white plastic insert with "fins" transferred from the dash-side of the accelerator cable connector to the accelerator-side connector. This made it impossible to mate up with the Booster. Now I was pretty much ready to send the Booster back. But I contacted Jason Burtman, and he contacted the manufacturer, and apparently this had happened before...and so we got it figured out (I had to remove the plastic insert from one side and put it back in the other...presto!).
  5. When the Booster then installed just as easily as initially promised (LOL), I was ready to give it a try.
  6. It took me a few days for me to find the right setting. I tried Sport 4-9 and then Race 4-9. I settled on Race 4. And, after driving it for a little over a week, I would strongly recommend this device for anyone who wants to make their Ridgeline more responsive and "peppy." It feels like I'm driving an Audi Quattro instead of a truck -- especially when cornering, or taking on-ramps to the freeway, or passing folks on the freeway. Do I know why or how it works? No I do not. It just does.
  7. I live in San Diego, and folks here routinely cut people off, switch lanes without signaling, race around people who take too long to turn or cross an intersection, don't yield the right-of-way when they're supposed to, etc. In other words: you have to drive pretty defensively, especially if you can't "power out of a situation." Well...with the Booster in Race 4 mode I can easily power out of pretty much any situation now. :) Which means I don't have to take crap from obnoxious drivers anymore. Which is kinda sweet.
  8. That said, the Booster has also DEFINITELY changed my driving style. So much so that I am losing about 2 mpg when driving in the city. On longer trips I plan on using Eco mode (you can use it even with the Booster "on") to gain some MPG. But the "psychological effect" of the Booster on my driving is pretty noticeable. In fact, I won't be drinking coffee when I drive anymore either -- I'm just having too much fun driving, and I end up spilling it all over myself.
  9. When I took my wife for a test drive, she was impressed. She was also a little worried. So I've had to reassure her that I won't be hot-rodding all of the time.
  10. Lastly, I tried the Valet and Lock modes, and they work.
I guess my only concern over the longer term is that I might be wearing out my truck faster because of how I drive. I'm accelerating, braking and turning much more quickly...and I know this will take its toll over time. So I may eventually switch to a less aggressive setting (for example, I also liked Sport 9...just not as much as Race 4) for daily driving. Right now, though, I'm enjoying any excuse to hit the road.

Okay...that's my take.
Had mine for almost a month now.

As you, I trimmed the same plastic. The “sleeve” came out of the OEM connector for me too.

Is it faster? No. It does feel lighter though if that makes sense.

If you drove the RL on Econ most of the time when you first got it, you might remember the pep you felt on those rare occasions you took it out of Econ mode. To me, this is the same, but four fold. And I run green 3, the default. I suppose it’s a about 1/8 -1/4 to the bottom of the overall settings scale.

The RL is nicer to drive - more fun to drive. Maybe I could do much of the same by simply mashing the throttle more quickly and farther each time. If I did that sends a signal to my head that I’m really driving it hard and subsequently feels like more work, more violent and more like I’m wringing this extra performance out of it. This peps it up much while fooling my head into thinking “I’m driving it the same”. It downshifts earlier (less pedal pressure) so it feels like it’s more frequently at the right rpm for the situation. I do believe it likely does this at a small cost to fuel economy - I don’t have enough history to tell, especially when taking the different driving style I have likely had. Have to let the newness settle in, then get a broader sample.

The RL’s power is neither created or destroyed - the experience is very different. Ultimately my perception is my reality.

I was a skeptic too - in hindsight I would buy again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
^This was my experience on my '11, minus the install issues(Gen 1 is under the hood). This has been the best modification that I have done to date and has really made the lift and larger tires a practical endeavor.

I realize that there are owners who will never modify their vehicles and believe that we've all drunk the booster kool-aid lol but, and I know it's said all the time, if you haven't tried it, it's kinda hard to knock it as vehemently as some on here do.

It won't work on a Gen 2 but, if any Gen 1 is in southeast Ga and just wants to try it, swapping takes no time at all. You just better come back! Lol. Best $300 I've ever spent and I've spent thousands modifying various personal fuel injected vehicles(we won't discuss carbs, I don't like to calculate that amount).

For those that mod and haven't tried it, it's the same feel if not effect of putting equal length Gibson headers on a 5.9l magnum or changing from 2.73 to 3.27 gears in a crown Vic. Because it's getting you into the torque band faster by opening the throttle quicker and with less effort by opening the throttle farther, it feels as though you've added torque(even though yes, it was always there).

Lastly, for the worry of drive train "shock", the automatic programming keeps the throttle blade closing on the shifts to prevent that as it doesn't override the factory programming, just enhances the speed and amount of butterfly angle.

·
Vendor
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
^This was my experience on my '11, minus the install issues(Gen 1 is under the hood). This has been the best modification that I have done to date and has really made the lift and larger tires a practical endeavor.

I realize that there are owners who will never modify their vehicles and believe that we've all drunk the booster kool-aid lol but, and I know it's said all the time, if you haven't tried it, it's kinda hard to knock it as vehemently as some on here do.

It won't work on a Gen 2 but, if any Gen 1 is in southeast Ga and just wants to try it, swapping takes no time at all. You just better come back! Lol. Best $300 I've ever spent and I've spent thousands modifying various personal fuel injected vehicles(we won't discuss carbs, I don't like to calculate that amount).

For those that mod and haven't tried it, it's the same feel if not effect of putting equal length Gibson headers on a 5.9l magnum or changing from 2.73 to 3.27 gears in a crown Vic. Because it's getting you into the torque band faster by opening the throttle quicker and with less effort by opening the throttle farther, it feels as though you've added torque(even though yes, it was always there).

Lastly, for the worry of drive train "shock", the automatic programming keeps the throttle blade closing on the shifts to prevent that as it doesn't override the factory programming, just enhances the speed and amount of butterfly angle.
Glad you like it and thanks for posting. This is the best selling item I have now out of everything I have. Instant gratification, makes more fun to drive, whether you're driving slow or fast. Every family member also has.

in stock! http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr - I'm shipping these UPS express and offering a 5 year warranty which no one else does.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jason, will this work on the new pilot? Friend just got one and we went out to dinner and I told him about mine and he's asking

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Well, I just got back from our annual cross-country trip. The booster arrived the day before we left. I purposely did not install it before we left. The drive east was without it and the drive west had it installed. On the 2007 G1 installation took about 30 secs and was literally a plug-and-play. There is definitely a difference for the better. First, it does nothing to the horsepower, only the increase the throttle responsiveness.

Without the booster, when merging and punching it to merge, there is a definite momentary hesitation where it feels like the engine is winding up and then it takes off. With the booster the very second you step on the gas, the truck is moving - without hesitation. I haven't tried all the settings, but for now I settled on Sport 7. There was a mention in the posts above of it shaving a 1/2 second off the 0-60 time. I personally didn't time it, but I can definitely see where this hesitation elimination could make for a 1/2 second shave.

Is this for everyone...no. If you're just cruising through town and dealing with stop signs and City traffic lights, I doubt you'd really notice any huge difference. But if you're like me, merging onto LA freeways and passing big rigs on cross-country trips, it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Question for owners -- is there a setting/level on this thing that essentially yields what you'd describe as "halfway beween ECON and ECON-OFF"?

I'm finding that it seems that halfway point would be optimal for my preferences.

181 - 200 of 252 Posts