Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 227 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I really don't understand what's so amusing with having shirts made up and giving some away to customers on this forum. BUt, what I have OFFERED from the start is a full refund for anyone that buys this and doesn't like it. And I'll even pay the return shipping. Why? Because it works. Plain and simple. The reviews on the site link below (Scroll down) are from actual users of this item on their Ridgeline. Their emails are also listed and you can contact them if you like if for some reason you don't believe the claims. I like this item because people call after they get it, (no one normally calls to say thanks) because they like it that much.

And just for that, I've dropped the price for a few days, updated price on link, Again, scroll down to read REAL reviews.

Burtman Industries Sprint Booster, V3! - If you get this and don't like it, I'll let you send it back, shipping paid.
Just ordered....thank you.

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
I'd like to know what brand/model of vehicle the electronic throttle control demonstrator depicted in the video on the first post of this thread is from. That's not how the ETC's in any of my last ten Hondas have operated. It's easy to see for yourself by removing the intake hose from the throttle body so that you can see the throttle blade move. Just have someone turn the ignition on without starting the engine then have them press the accelerator pedal. You'll see that the throttle blade opens almost instantly - it's nowhere nearly as slow as depicted in the video.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Thanks Jason. Although it may sound like it, my post wasn’t trying to flame you. It was to get a deeper understanding of the tech, I still don’t have that, who cares. People are happy, you back your product up well with a nice parting gift that further pimps your product and if worn in public instead of in a wash bucket, enhances word of mouth advertising, the best kind there is difficult to invest in.

My only remaining point is we Sheeple can be fickle. Yes your SB probably does what it says just fine (yawn) as do many similar products that offer that and more.

Many think peanut butter is fabulous who were satisfied with roasted peanuts. I commend your thriving PB type SB business, really.
I was curious if you have anything else in the mix that might make it on par with what many might not care to taste, Jelly mixed with Peanut Butter, quite tasty on flat bread and highways show encouraging results.
Appreciate the ‘because people like it PSA’ but that wasn’t the comparison. It just seemed simple and maybe that’s your niche?

Good luck regardless as I’ll remain a PB&J fan, tongue in cheek.��

·
Registered
3 Posts
hhmm, I find it amazing that some people that have NEVER tried this product somehow know how well it works.lol
It seems there are two types of people out there. The person that owns it , and loves it. Then the person that claims to know how it works but never owned one.

I'll have to trust the people that own it ( seems like A LOT of people out there) with their actual experience with the product ,in comparison to the self proclaimed geniuses that don't own it. No hate on those people, just my opinion :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I must be one of the lucky few. I have not experienced any sluggishness, delay, or hesitation in my 2017 RTL-E's throttle, in either regular or ECON mode. I give it gas and it goes. No delay, no hesitation. Now, in SNOW mode, there is a noticeable change in throttle control, but that is intentional in order to prevent wheel spin on snow/ice covered surfaces.

Perhaps the issue is isolated to certain batches of ECMs?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Hmm. I didn’t feel any issue in “normal” mode. I just tried ECON today and there is a lag, to me, on merging type acceleration. It’s not always required, but sometimes I want to gitty-up. Not sure this do-hicky would fix/help that though.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
hhmm, I find it amazing that some people that have NEVER tried this product somehow know how well it works.lol
It seems there are two types of people out there. The person that owns it , and loves it. Then the person that claims to know how it works but never owned one.

I'll have to trust the people that own it ( seems like A LOT of people out there) with their actual experience with the product ,in comparison to the self proclaimed geniuses that don't own it. No hate on those people, just my opinion :)
I currently own a 2019 RTL-E, and just purchased a Sprint Booster for it. I used to have a '08 RL, and installed one of these on it, and loved it.

Professionally, I do contract work for Caterpillar Fuel Systems and load software files onto engine ECMs using a program called Vector CANape. This is in order to run tests and simulate real world engine conditions on 3516 engine test benches. So I have a bit of an understanding of electronic engine controls, but I'm not a genius.

So I guess I used to own it, loved it, will own it again soon, and I claim to know how it works.

·
Vendor
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Cool. It's just one of those things sometimes where you don't know an improvement can be made until you try it. But, I say to people if you don't think your truck has a lag and you're happy with the truck now, then you don't need it. I get quite a few calls since the 2nd gen came out with more than a few mentioning this issue.

Thanks Jason. Although it may sound like it, my post wasn’t trying to flame you.
Not at all, no worries. I just like being able to sell things that keep people happy. I personally don't like returns and that's why I like this part. People that get it, want to keep it.

I currently own a 2019 RTL-E, and just purchased a Sprint Booster for it. I used to have a '08 RL, and installed one of these on it, and loved it.

Professionally, I do contract work for Caterpillar Fuel Systems and load software files onto engine ECMs using a program called Vector CANape. This is in order to run tests and simulate real world engine conditions on 3516 engine test benches. So I have a bit of an understanding of electronic engine controls, but I'm not a genius.

So I guess I used to own it, loved it, will own it again soon, and I claim to know how it works.
Nice. Be sure to come back later if you can and give feedback. Where many get confused is, this doesn't target or do anything to the ecu, it only adjusts and fixes the drive by wire module, which is separate from everything else. Also, no need to worry about your warranty either. This is undetectable at the dealer, even when they plug into the odbII port.

Burtman Industries Sprint Booster, latest version, will ship next week if you order now

·
Vendor
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Re: Sprint Booster for 2nd gen Ridgeline, fixes the lag and throttle response. Video

Cool. It's just one of those things sometimes where you don't know an improvement can be made until you try it. But, I say to people if you don't think your truck has a lag and you're happy with the truck now, then you don't need it. I get quite a few calls since the 2nd gen came out with more than a few mentioning this issue.

Nice. Be sure to come back later if you can and give feedback. Where many get confused is, this doesn't target or do anything to the ecu, it only adjusts and fixes the drive by wire module, which is separate from everything else. Also, no need to worry about your warranty either. This is undetectable at the dealer, even when they plug into the odbII port.

Burtman Industries Sprint Booster, latest version, will ship next week if you order now

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
Please allow me to clarify a technical detail: There's no separate "drive by wire module" on the Ridgeline - the accelerator pedal position sensors connect directly to the PCM which directly controls the throttle actuator. The Sprint Booster alters the signal between the APPS's and the PCM making the PCM think the pedal is being depressed more than it actually is - the opposite of what the Ridgeline's PCM does when ECON mode is on. The Sprint Booster introduces three additional points of failure in the form of two mechanical connections and electronics. I'm personally unaware of any Sprint Booster failures and in the event of a failure, the brake override function should keep the vehicle from running away. However, I'd recommend uninstalling it before bringing the vehicle in for any warranty repairs since its physical presence alone may lead to warranty hassles and add a scarlet letter to your vehicle for the remainder of the warranty period. Here are a couple of detailed articles on the Sprint Booster.

https://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-articles/sprint-booster-is-it-worth-it/

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/sprintbooster/SprintBooster.pdf

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I’m not a hater nor a genius, just an inquirer with some shaved pelts on a wall that gets what you don’t know is yet to be learned. Closing your mind to possibilities is silly. We all might not see lag until driving a 1k HP Hennessy car.

This stick to wire converter works great, apparently as buyers are happy, percent refunded data?

There are many devices that’d turn this ghostly lag to smile making launch these days without penalty. Thats’s sort of my point, find your happy pace. 🚘

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Please allow me to clarify a technical detail: There's no separate "drive by wire module" on the Ridgeline - the accelerator pedal position sensors connect directly to the PCM which directly controls the throttle actuator. The Sprint Booster alters the signal between the APPS's and the PCM making the PCM think the pedal is being depressed more than it actually is - the opposite of what the Ridgeline's PCM does when ECON mode is on. The Sprint Booster introduces three additional points of failure in the form of two mechanical connections and electronics. I'm personally unaware of any Sprint Booster failures and in the event of a failure, the brake override function should keep the vehicle from running away. However, I'd recommend uninstalling it before bringing the vehicle in for any warranty repairs since its physical presence alone may lead to warranty hassles and add a scarlet letter to your vehicle for the remainder of the warranty period. Here are a couple of detailed articles on the Sprint Booster.

https://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-articles/sprint-booster-is-it-worth-it/

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/sprintbooster/SprintBooster.pdf
The warranty issue is partly what concerned me, but I wasn't sure we were going there. Since we have, I'll air my second concern. Insurance. If a Claims Examiner I know found that booster, after a front end collision, I'm betting she'd make it a point in the file and argue against paying at least part of the claim. Even if it were her husband driving, cause that's how she rolls :grin:

Regardless of what our opinions might be, this unit is not correcting something the factory or Honda did wrong, it's changing it. And enhancing acceleration is not something you want to discuss when your $3,000 front end is sprawled across the freeway.

·
Vendor
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The people I'm selling this to want it to be SAFER. They get scared when merging onto the highway and think they have to make it out in front of someone, and they don't have that time, due to the delay. Or they just feel it's not as instant response as it should be. That was the call I got yesterday by a guys wife who won't drive that truck on the highway anymore.

The best way to look at this is, this makes the vehicle feel and drive exactly like a car before drive-by-wire came out. Any car I think that was pre 2002 had a metal cable on the back of the gas pedal, which went directly to the throttle body. Those were the cars where you could pop the hood and make the engine rev yourself from under the hood. I've had many people that just want their new cars and trucks to act and behave like their OLDER CARS DID. This is another way to look at it. Every car pre 2002 felt much better than many of these drive-by-wire setups. My one truck is a 1997 4Runner, has a metal cable on back of gas pedal, yes, old school, but I have more instant throttle than the 2017+ Tacoma that is a dog. Google Tacoma throttle lag and you'll read about people returning the truck because it's so bad and so delayed!

Also, a while back had the owner of Stop Tech Brakes call me (competitor to Brembo), he bought a new 2019 4Runner limited for his daily driver. He went and picked up his truck and as he was leaving the dealer, he made a left out of the lot and punched it, a car was coming that he saw and he thought he has PLENTY OF TIME to get out in front of him and test out his new trucks power. The hesistation was so delayed the guy almost hit him! This delay is more of a safety concern with at least my customers. They want more instant response. So, anyway, he turned around and went right back into the dealer and he said, "What's wrong with my truck?", they couldn't answer it and said "that's just the way it is". Then he googled "4Runner pedal lag" or something close to that, then found the 4Runner forums where I've sold 80+ of these on that truck. He then ordered it and told me this story. After he texted me and said it drives great and he now can enjoy the truck and it drives like his older vehicles used to.

This is also much different than the sprint booster back from 2007. Now it has much more flexibility and you can fine tune it exactly for what's comfortable to you. Another customer just bought this for the VALET MODE feature. He has a 16 yr old son that is learning to drive on his 2017 Ridgeline. The valet mode lets you set an rpm point that the truck can't go over. Kinda neat.

Another feature is the lock out mode, where you can set a pin and if someone breaks in and tries to steal it, the gas pedal is locked out and they are going nowhere! This makes me feel good when my car is at an airport and gives me more peace of mind. Yes, if someone really wants to steal your car, they will find a way, but this is just another layer of protection may make them take someone elses car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
...Another customer just bought this for the VALET MODE feature. He has a 16 yr old son that is learning to drive on his 2017 Ridgeline. The valet mode lets you set an rpm point that the truck can't go over. Kinda neat.

Another feature is the lock out mode, where you can set a pin and if someone breaks in and tries to steal it, the gas pedal is locked out and they are going nowhere! This makes me feel good when my car is at an airport and gives me more peace of mind. Yes, if someone really wants to steal your car, they will find a way, but this is just another layer of protection may make them take someone elses car...
Interesting. Why aren't these features explained on your website?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
@Jason B, I understand the "safer" aspect you're presenting. I tried to explain Honda Sensing to GEICO and they said, "other than ABS, airbags, there really are not safety features that would provoke a discount on your insurance." Now, Honda Sensing and ACC just about drive this Ridgeline and to say that it doesn't make the vehicle safer in a meaningful way is absurd, other than the fact that the features can be turned off. Were it not for that, I don't see how the vehicle isn't safer.

Playing devil's advocate on the booster: the safest thing to do is simply wait until traffic is completely clear, then merge. We all know that could result in road rage from other driver's, but since when do insurance companies live in the real world???

·
Vendor
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I’m just thrilled laughing harder now. Seems y’all got not only a stick wire but a tunable teen trainer, valet RPM limiter, and a fancy CLUB security device. All to act retro to accelerate faster, there are better ways to get that done (ECU) with nice T-shirts too.

Our Honda dealer says any device that changes throttle response could void warranty so I get what it does now thanks to Roger’s quote, fear it. SB and ECU plug ins are included, no need to quote law here, I know it.

I am also thrilled to learn of the added utility SB version-whatever has built in and that any of us that modify under the guise of safer are likely not going to win any PIA insurance or court cases, like that was news? Your rock cave cover awaits your return if so... call it what it is, speedy snake oil that really works. Can the next gen make K-cups please?
It really seems like a good product so lower your BP Jason, all in good pokin’ fun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks! Site updated to show the additional features most don't know about. There are a few people that get it for those other reasons, but most just want the main benefit.

I've had this installed on my 1st gen ridge and got it for my 2nd gen ridgeline. You can't pay me to remove it! My truck drives how it should have come off the factory line. DOn't get why some want to bash something they never tried but I'm not one to be fooled because you can feel and see the difference instantly. Next I just need to decide what running boards I want

41 - 60 of 227 Posts