Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
  • Does that mean it makes you unaware of how it operates? You seemed pretty confident in your response (post#140) of its technical function.
  • What about my concerns in regards to your response as I quoted in my post right above yours?
  • When you were quick to dismiss a concern that I had and asked me to mind my own business (essentially), in response I asked for better clarification so I may understand it. I am not trying to be passive aggressive, but if you have no intention on clarifying, I suggest you think for a moment before you respond.
I welcome anyone who can quell my curiosity with this product.
Why don't you just buy it and return it if you don't like it? I have one in my CRV and love it. I will be buying one for my Ridgeline once I purchase my suspension.

·
Administrator
13,360 Posts
There sure are a lot of new or previously-dormant members on here who are passionate about this device - almost to the point of being suspicious. :cool:

But, with such a generous, money-back guarantee, what can go wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
For me, it defies the conventional practice of soft gas peddle to maximize fuel economy. When did the ability to shorten the throttle response improve fuel economy? I want to see some facts to support the dealer's claims. One or two anecdotal claims do not amount to "facts".

·
Registered
5 Posts
There sure are a lot of new or previously-dormant members on here who are passionate about this device - almost to the point of being suspicious. :cool:

I'm actually new here. I was scrolling through recent comments and realized they made one for my truck. , I have one so I thought I would reply. I think being passionate about bashing a product is more suspicious than someone who actually owns one. Mine is the older version but I think they work the same just the newer one has more bells and whistles. I also love my stoptech slotted rotors and posi quiet pads. Is that suspicious?

·
Registered
250 Posts
For me, it defies the conventional practice of soft gas peddle to maximize fuel economy. When did the ability to shorten the throttle response improve fuel economy? I want to see some facts to support the dealer's claims. One or two anecdotal claims do not amount to "facts".
I just searched both the original post and the Burtman website for claims that it improved fuel economy and nowhere does it say that at any point. Jason B did relay another user's feedback that personally for that person and their driving habits, they saw a 1mpg increase.

I think there's a ton of confusion and conflation in this thread between user feedback and actual advertised features/specs. Jason has made it crystal clear at least 5 separate times what this device does and what user feedback has been.

This was and still IS what Jason has advertised:

I've sold a slew of these for the 1st gen Honda Ridgeline (and the 2nd gen 2017+ has even more lag). These trucks have a laggy throttle and this fixes it. These don't give more hp, which many think that's what it does. It makes the vehicle feel more like there's a direct link, a cable link from the pedal to the throttle body, which most of these drive by wire setups still aren't instant like an old school cable would be. Gives a more instant feel when merging from an exit onto the highway, more instant response when mashing the throttle, and quick pass bys where you may need to get out the way quick, it's just all around more instant.)
Notice any language in there about "it improves your MPG"?????

At the end of the day, this device changes user interaction with a device that has a very heavy impact on fuel economy, and so we can expect to get a lot of variance in what each user experiences. I don't think you're going to get the "facts" that you requested because they were never advertised or communicated as facts.

It's almost certain that any conclusions that can be drawn from the Ridgeline are likely the same type of conclusions that you can draw across any other vehicle that this works with. Think about it this way -- you're asking for data that's essentially of no more value than me saying "I found this neat trick to increase 2mpg! You simply dont use the pedal as much!". At the end of the day, results are dependent upon personal driving habits.

Or maybe think about it this way -- if the mfr of the vehicle claims X mpg and you got 2mpg less than that, are you going to ask the mfr to prove it, or are you going to go "yeah that's probably because my driving habits differ, I bet I could beat that by 1mpg if I tried hard enough".

·
Vendor
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I'm actually new here. I was scrolling through recent comments and realized they made one for my truck. , I have one so I thought I would reply. I think being passionate about bashing a product is more suspicious than someone who actually owns one. Mine is the older version but I think they work the same just the newer one has more bells and whistles. I also love my stoptech slotted rotors and posi quiet pads. Is that suspicious?
Thanks for chiming in. If you want, we can work something out if you want to try the newer version, let me know. Again, the newer version 3, (V3) works even faster and has a few other things that makes it special besides the throttle fix and some have bought the V3 just for these reasons:

NEW - VALET MODE: Valet mode lets you set an rpm point that the car can't go over. Good for when you don't want someone joy riding at the dealer or when you don't want your kids or crazy friend beating your vehicle around. One customer got it just for his 16 yr old daughter that he was worried about driving it.

NEW - LOCK OUT MODE: Lock out mode let's you set a pin and if someone breaks in and tries to steal your car, the gas pedal is locked out and they are going nowhere! Ex, say your park at an airport or a place your aren't comfortable with. Many say it gives them more peace of mind. Yes, if someone really wants to steal your car, they will find a way, but this is just another layer of protection may make them take someone else's car.

WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY: I also have these for just about every car there is, so ask if you want to try on your other vehicles. As far as dealership concerns there is a law called the Magnuson Moss Act. Sprint Booster works manufacturers OWN safety protocols so it's a no worry option.

Burtman Industries Sprint Booster, latest version, ON SALE! If you install this and don’t like it I will let you return it no questions asked!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't have a SprintBooster, and i doubt my car would benefit from installing one. From my understanding, it does not change the performance of the vehicle at all, it just changes the driving experience.

With that being said, i remember reading,15-20 years ago, an article where they stated that to get the best MPG in a modern vehicle, you should accelerate at 3/4-throttle until you reach top gear. The article pointed out that this was counter-intuitive to the advice we all received back in the day about driving like you had an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Apparently, with modern vehicle drivetrains, it was more efficient to get into top gear as quickly as possible without going into WOT mode. I don't know if this still holds true with the latest vehicles, but the phenomena could explain a slight increase in fuel economy based on how it changed the user's driving habits, if that did indeed occur.

Also keep in mind that many vehicles get slightly better MPG after they get a couple thousand miles on them, and that could have coincidentally coincided (there's my two cents worth!) with the user's installation of the SB.

·
Premium Member
3,105 Posts
Why don't you just buy it and return it if you don't like it? I have one in my CRV and love it. I will be buying one for my Ridgeline once I purchase my suspension.

It is simple; I am a financially conscious individual, who would like to be certain on where I am directing my finances. Thus, no desire in purchasing an item that I am not confident in, regardless of the level of risk involved in recouping my financial exposure.
I am not suspicious (if that is what is being alluded to here) of this because I am aware of 'what' this does.

@longboat ; your explanation does present the possibility. However with the DBW system and the fuel mileage craz, I would imagine that the 'setting' from the factory would be the most optimal for fuel economy (in a non-sports car) . Due to the nature of the drive by cable, one can anticipate the 3/4 throttle to achieve what was found in the article, but with the DBW setups, achieving such steady state is on the ECU/PCM output side as it dictates the actual throttle plate position, which is the resultant of the vehicle's active stability system and basic engine management programming.

By the way, if anyone is interested about the so called Fuel mileage increase, check post #6 on this thread thread >> https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/question-for-those-w-sprint-booster-installed.219717/ . Irony is this, I am checking on some of the members who claim to be 'thrilled' with these purchases were particularly active on certain threads and they seem to be inactive for two weeks to 7 months. 😵

Sprint Booster's official stance >> https://www.sprintbooster.com/faqs/ . Though we know and understand that this unit is designed to only 'trick' the engine management, it cannot affect the limits and thus the warranty of the vehicle. However, the FAQ does not include "Will Sprint Booster void my vehicle's mfg warrant?" or to that effect.

Well, after this lengthy discussion, what I gather is that the Sprint Booster is a great add on for those who are unable to modulate the pedal, to their desire, with their right foot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is simple; I am a financially conscious individual, who would like to be certain on where I am directing my finances. Thus, no desire in purchasing an item that I am not confident in, regardless of the level of risk involved in recouping my financial exposure.
I am not suspicious (if that is what is being alluded to here) of this because I am aware of 'what' this does.

@longboat ; your explanation does present the possibility. However with the DBW system and the fuel mileage craz, I would imagine that the 'setting' from the factory would be the most optimal for fuel economy (in a non-sports car) . Due to the nature of the drive by cable, one can anticipate the 3/4 throttle to achieve what was found in the article, but with the DBW setups, achieving such steady state is on the ECU/PCM output side as it dictates the actual throttle plate position, which is the resultant of the vehicle's active stability system and basic engine management programming.

By the way, if anyone is interested about the so called Fuel mileage increase, check post #6 on this thread thread >> https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/question-for-those-w-sprint-booster-installed.219717/ . Irony is this, I am checking on some of the members who claim to be 'thrilled' with these purchases were particularly active on certain threads and they seem to be inactive for two weeks to 7 months.

Sprint Booster's official stance >> https://www.sprintbooster.com/faqs/ . Though we know and understand that this unit is designed to only 'trick' the engine management, it cannot affect the limits and thus the warranty of the vehicle. However, the FAQ does not include "Will Sprint Booster void my vehicle's mfg warrant?" or to that effect.

Well, after this lengthy discussion, what I gather is that the Sprint Booster is a great add on for those who are unable to modulate the pedal, to their desire, with their right foot.
Since my post was mentioned, I'll respond.

I just updated my results. Did I see an increase in mpg? I don't claim that. I certainly did not see a reduction in mpg though, and the improved response (which is what I was looking for, and not mileage improvement) is solid. Could I simply just push the pedal harder? Yes... Obviously... But my experience is that even that does not provide the same level of responsiveness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Just throwing this out there for others to try too. Just for sh!ts & giggles, I decided to try hitting the D4 button on the shifter immediately before a highway pass. To me, it seems to help with that terrible lag I normally get when I want to pass on the highway.

I leave for Cabo San Lucas around 3 AM Sunday morning, so I won't be doing any driving for a week. Hopefully I'll be sipping tequila on a beach, enjoying Monarch butterflies as they migrate, and enjoying Dia de los muertos. I'll be interested in reading some more replies upon my return.

Hasta luego!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Just throwing this out there for others to try too. Just for sh!ts & giggles, I decided to try hitting the D4 button on the shifter immediately before a highway pass. To me, it seems to help with that terrible lag I normally get when I want to pass on the highway.

I leave for Cabo San Lucas around 3 AM Sunday morning, so I won't be doing any driving for a week. Hopefully I'll be sipping tequila on a beach, enjoying Monarch butterflies as they migrate, and enjoying Dia de los muertos. I'll be interested in reading some more replies upon my return.

Hasta luego!
Cool! I visited Cabo San Lucas several years ago, and San Jose del Cabo last spring. San Jose is about a half-hour up the road from San Lucas and is a little more civilized for older folks. Both places can be fun, though!

Saw both G1 and G2 Ridgelines in San Jose. Lots of little Chevy Tornado trucks, little VW and Mitsubishi trucks, little Ram trucklets and Nissan trucks everywhere. People down there who have trucks have them because they need them to make a living, and they get by with the minimum they need, a stark contrast to the U.S. lifestyle.

·
Vendor
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Since my post was mentioned, I'll respond.

I just updated my results. Did I see an increase in mpg? I don't claim that. I certainly did not see a reduction in mpg though, and the improved response (which is what I was looking for, and not mileage improvement) is solid. Could I simply just push the pedal harder? Yes... Obviously... But my experience is that even that does not provide the same level of responsiveness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the feedback. I sold one to my neighbor for his '17 and he drives 30,000 miles a year with it and has thanked me twice now.

Burtman Industries Sprint Booster, latest version. If you install this and don’t like it I will let you return it no questions asked!

·
Vendor
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #173

·
Vendor
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Welcome and thanks for the feedback. You mean you have a version 2? That's similar to the new version 3, but the V3 adds more programs, choices and the lock out feature and rpm mode to restrict high rev's etc. If you want these newer features I'll let you trade it back in. Let me know.

In stock again - http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the feedback. You mean you have a version 2? That's similar to the new version 3, but the V3 adds more programs, choices and the lock out feature and rpm mode to restrict high rev's etc. If you want these newer features I'll let you trade it back in. Let me know.

In stock again - http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr
Yes, It is a V2 on my CRV. I'm probably going to hit you up soon for a V3. Looks like they have a lot more features for about the same price as my V2..win win. I've talked to other Ridgeline owners that have the V3 and they seem to love it on our trucks!! God knows it needs it... lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had just purchase the sprint booster from Jason. It will be arriving tomorrow evening. I will be sharing my thoughts and review as well. I am thinking that it will completely eliminate the throttle lag. I always put my RL sand mode on most stop lights then switch right away to normal mode.... hoping after the install that I wouldn't need to do that anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got mine today, and installed before I went to lunch. Throttle response is def way up, gives it a nice crisp feeling to the pedal.

161 - 180 of 204 Posts