Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Small Leak Leading to White Smoke- What Is It?

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 ·
The pictures below are with the engine off, but this area (the round half-circle with the wires sticking out) has something leaking onto it when the engine is running. This fills the engine compartment with a white smoke that smells of exhaust. I cannot seem to determine what that could be. Obviously, knowing where the leak is coming from will help determine what the next steps are. I have not noticed any difference in performance or idle issues. This is just outside the engine block in between the motor oil fill cap and the oil dipstick.

Any thoughts on what this fluid could be?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
My initial guess would be the valve cover gaskets are leaking onto the manifold.

#3 ·
White smoke would be coolant methinks. Are you having to add any fluids to keep them topped off? Have you checked the spark plugs to make sure they are properly torqued? The J35 is known to develop loose spark plugs over time.

#5 ·
The round half-circle things with the wires coming out are your coil packs which sit on top of your spark plugs. It does appear there is a bit of an oil leak from the valve cover gaskets getting onto the covers themselves. That oil is then likely dripping onto the exhaust manifold below causing the smoke (which should actually be a bit blue if it's oil). It could also be coolant, but I'm not sure exactly where it would be coming from. The best thing you can do is to clean the area really well with a little degreaser. Be careful not to get it on the electrical parts or belts. Drive it around a bit and see if the oil or whatever fluid it is reappears. It will be easier to trace and to confirm it is actually oil.

If it does turn out to be a faulty valve cover gasket, depending on the age and mileage of your truck, you may want to consider have the valve clearances adjusted while the gasket is fixed. In order to take the valve covers off, there are several parts that need to be removed. Much of the work involved in the valve adjustment job will have to be completed in changing out the gaskets. I do most of my own work, but had a dealership do the adjustment work for me and replace my cover gaskets for about $350.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.