Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my 2017 Ridgeline RTS. I looked through my manual and online and could not find any information regarding locking/unlocking options. When I unlock the truck with the remote or by the smart touch door handle with the fob in my pocket it only unlocks the drivers door. If I do this on the passenger door all doors unlock. Is there a way*to change the settings to unlock all doors with one touch? I have the base radio which does not have any option to change this setting. My wife's CRV has the smart touch doors/touch screen radio that has changeable settings for one touch lock/unlock options.

This is what my dealer sent to me ( it does not work BTW)
1. Make sure the shift lever is in Park
2. Make sure the drivers door is closed
3. Set the*parking*brake
4. Turn the*ignition switch*on (IGii position – or “run” position – do not start the vehicle).*
5. Hold the rear edge of the*power*lock switch (unlock mode – the locks will unlock immediately when the switch is depressed)
6. Continue to holding the switch down until you hear the solenoid click once again (after about 5 seconds)
7. Keep holding it until you hear the solenoid an additional cycle (another 5-10 seconds)*
8. release the power door lock switch
9. Shut the IG switch off within 5 seconds of releasing the*power door lock*switch

After you preformed these programming steps, confirm the process was successful. With the shift lever in park, start the vehicle and manually lock the doors. With the brakes or*parking*brake*applied, shift the vehicle into dirve. Next, put the vehicle in back into park and confirm all the doors un-lock. If they do not, you have not performed the process correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my RTS. Finally called my salesman and he told me he was wrong about being able to unlock all the doors from the driver's handle. He researched it and found out you have to have trim level T or above to do it. Guess we're both out of luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that is the case its not a big deal ( first world problems, I know) just wondering if it could be changed. It seems odd to me that the default setting or permanent setting with smart touch is to unlock all doors when entering the passenger side but it unlocks only the drivers door when entering the drivers side. I'm just used to keeping the key fob in my pocket because of the smart touch doors/push start. In the past this was not an issue because I always had my keys in hand because you needed them inserted into the ignition. My wife has just been knocking from the passenger side and giving me the eye because she has to wait a few seconds ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
Since those with a higher trim level can change the option for door unlock via the radio I'm guessing that there's a CAN bus setup that could be done using some kind of Honda programmer tool that could do the same thing for us low end radio model users. What we need is a Honda tech to figure this out for us low life cheapo RL owners. (40k is low end ? lol)

Steve M

PS - this is for the smart unlock on the door handle. Not the Keyfob which works fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a question about my 2017 Ridgeline RTS. I looked through my manual and online and could not find any information regarding locking/unlocking options. When I unlock the truck with the remote or by the smart touch door handle with the fob in my pocket it only unlocks the drivers door. If I do this on the passenger door all doors unlock. Is there a way*to change the settings to unlock all doors with one touch? I have the base radio which does not have any option to change this setting. My wife's CRV has the smart touch doors/touch screen radio that has changeable settings for one touch lock/unlock options.

This is what my dealer sent to me ( it does not work BTW)
1. Make sure the shift lever is in Park
2. Make sure the drivers door is closed
3. Set the*parking*brake
4. Turn the*ignition switch*on (IGii position – or “run” position – do not start the vehicle).*
5. Hold the rear edge of the*power*lock switch (unlock mode – the locks will unlock immediately when the switch is depressed)
6. Continue to holding the switch down until you hear the solenoid click once again (after about 5 seconds)
7. Keep holding it until you hear the solenoid an additional cycle (another 5-10 seconds)*
8. release the power door lock switch
9. Shut the IG switch off within 5 seconds of releasing the*power door lock*switch

After you preformed these programming steps, confirm the process was successful. With the shift lever in park, start the vehicle and manually lock the doors. With the brakes or*parking*brake*applied, shift the vehicle into dirve. Next, put the vehicle in back into park and confirm all the doors un-lock. If they do not, you have not performed the process correctly.
I've had the same issue and I have the RTL-E model. I'm going to try this process today after work and see if anything changes. Thanks for posting this, I'll update whether it works or not for the RTL-E owners.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If that is the case its not a big deal ( first world problems, I know) just wondering if it could be changed. It seems odd to me that the default setting or permanent setting with smart touch is to unlock all doors when entering the passenger side but it unlocks only the drivers door when entering the drivers side. I'm just used to keeping the key fob in my pocket because of the smart touch doors/push start. In the past this was not an issue because I always had my keys in hand because you needed them inserted into the ignition. My wife has just been knocking from the passenger side and giving me the eye because she has to wait a few seconds ;)
The theory is, as I understand it, that if you open a passenger side door, you do intend to let someone in. If you just open the driver door, you don't necessarily want to open yourself up to someone running up and jumping in the passenger door.

I have a -E and kids. I changed the setting so it would open all doors.

Pete

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The theory is, as I understand it, that if you open a passenger side door, you do intend to let someone in. If you just open the driver door, you don't necessarily want to open yourself up to someone running up and jumping in the passenger door.
That theory is BS though because all they have to do is run up to the truck and touch handle and it will unlock. Whether the driver unlocks it or the thug unlocks it, they're getting in.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That theory is BS though because all they have to do is run up to the truck and touch handle and it will unlock. Whether the driver unlocks it or the thug unlocks it, they're getting in.
Situational awareness is far more important than door lock function.

Reactions: OWG

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
632 Posts
On my wife's car, (not a Ridgeline), if the driver has a FOB and the passenger does not, the passenger door will not unlock when the pax grabs the pax door. The driver can unlock all doors by grabbing the LH rear door handle, then open his own door. If the driver only grabs the drivers door handle, only the drivers door unlocks. I'd be very surprised if a person without a FOB could unlock and open the pax door even with the driver on the other side of the car.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
On my wife's car, (not a Ridgeline), if the driver has a FOB and the passenger does not, the passenger door will not unlock when the pax grabs the pax door. The driver can unlock all doors by grabbing the LH rear door handle, then open his own door. If the driver only grabs the drivers door handle, only the drivers door unlocks. I'd be very surprised if a person without a FOB could unlock and open the pax door even with the driver on the other side of the car.
But the driver with their fob would be within range. Hence, anyone touching any handle would unlock. Correct? (well obviously except for the rear doors on the Ridgeline, Honda did not put sensors in the rear).

Edit: Disregard, I see your very last sentence. And I was thinking on the contrary. I suppose it's worth a simple test to see. ** Wish it was possible to delete a post before anyone replies, these forums are like tattoos.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'd be very surprised if a person without a FOB could unlock and open the pax door even with the driver on the other side of the car. My first test drive I had the fob and the dealer opened the passenger door before I touched the driver's door (I was looking at the fob for the unlock). My second test drive I had the fob, I opened the driver's door, then she opened the passenger door, so no, as long as the fob is within range of the truck (the manual shows the range on three sides) easy access works.

I made a comment to the dealer about the driver versus passenger door setup and she started in about the safety of it. When I pointed out she opened the passenger door even though I hadn't unlocked it, she became silent.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard back from my local dealer yesterday who talked to all of the best Honda Techs who looked at a showroom model RTS and have come to the conclusion that the smart touch door settings cannot be changed on models with the basic radio. Only the touch screen radio models have an option to change settings.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Anyone have found if the settings can be changed yet? I'm about to take home an RTS and the honda tech said they can't do it without voiding warranty?

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
There's been no reports of anyone with success on this one. It appears that it's a canbus item that works through the settings in the radio. The radio communicates and changes the features it can via it's software. Otherwise I'm guessing that it's possible based on your Honda tech comments but he doesn't want to get involved in messing with settings in it.

Steve with a RTL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Relatively new RTL owner checking in to see if anyone has solved this issue. All I can get out of Honda is either 1) dealer scan tools can only read not write (BS at best as dealer scan tools have been used for decades to update vehicle software - e.g. write) or 2) owner's manual doesn't say this feature can be changed unless your vehicle has the touch screen (non-responsive as the question I asked was can the dealer reprogram this feature). I'd like all doors to unlock when I open driver's door or hit the fob unlock button once. Both settings are adjustable with the touch screen so they are adjustable in vehicle memory somewhere and the only question is can the dealer scan tool adjust that memory. The Honda responses to date have been evasive at best.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
I attempted to change the door lock/unlock settings on my RTL-T to open ALL doors when I touch the driver's door handle. I made what I though would be the appropriate changes to the on screen menu, but it did not change a thing.

Does someone know what settings I need to change to accomplish the desired result?

My wife and kids get impatient waiting for me to push the button inside the door and I am too lazy to take the key fob out of my pocket.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I attempted to change the door lock/unlock settings on my RTL-T to open ALL doors when I touch the driver's door handle. I made what I though would be the appropriate changes to the on screen menu, but it did not change a thing.

Does someone know what settings I need to change to accomplish the desired result?

My wife and kids get impatient waiting for me to push the button inside the door and I am too lazy to take the key fob out of my pocket.
I believe it is in settings but I just changed mine 2 weeks ago, I got tired of playing grab a handle as the back door would open sometimes! Strangest thing...but Thats as much as I remember.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

I did that for both sides, and I am thinking that it's under some automation setting, but I don't remember offhand. I have the owner's manual on my workstation, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Vehicle, Keyless Access Setup, Door Unlock Mode

EDIT #2: See also Vehicle, Door Setup, Auto Door Unlock

1 - 20 of 26 Posts