Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I"d post a few pictures of what our driveway looks like and the incline of it. It's hard to get a good idea, but I'll try.

In the last picture, you'll see my husband's Civic off to the left (just the tire). It was stuck and I was able to pull it out today. No VTM or anything, just put it into second. A little spinning of the wheels, then out it came. You can see the drive is all snow covered with packed snow, and ice underneath. Great truck!

THere is a nearly 180 degree turn at the top of the drive, which makes it a difficult climb when it's snowy. Especially when the snow drifts over it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
nice..wish it would snow here. would like to try my ridge in snow. A buddy of mine has invited me to do some trail drivin up in the local mountains with his jeep buddies for a little of medium duty 4wheelin. but for me i need to start baby steps firsts :D

Reactions: KiltedTailor

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice..wish it would snow here. would like to try my ridge in snow. A buddy of mine has invited me to do some trail drivin up in the local mountains with his jeep buddies for a little of medium duty 4wheelin. but for me i need to start baby steps firsts :D
I have been quite impressed with the Ridge over the past 2 winters. This one especially! It handles so much better in the snow/ice than my TrailBlazer did.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That's a LOT of snow... is that normally how your driveway looks in the winter?

·
Registered
26 Posts

Here in Omaha we rec'd our fist "real" snow a week ago today. We got approximately 13" of snow and it fell in about 6 hours and was accompanied by high winds. During that time, you really had a hard time seeing and of course the snow plows couldn't keep up with it at all. And when they did clean a road within a hour it needed plowing again.

I have to say that I was really (I mean REALLY) impressed with the Ridgeline. Not once did I have any trouble getting around. This truck is one of the best snow vehicles I have owned. The VTM indicator only blinked at me a couple of times. The transfer of power between the front and back, or both, was seamless.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
THis is the most snow that we've had since we moved here. Thank goodness it doesn't always look like that!
Thanks for the great photos Kellcut. We were all in St Cloud a while back but it wasn't as thick. Have fun, Drive safe and stay warm..........

·
Registered
705 Posts
Nice snow pictures. We have not had much snow for the last few years in NC where I live. FYI, I am going golfing on Saturday. :)
CD

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great pictures. Look at all of that wonderful white stuff. Pictures only a guy in Utah could fall in love with.:cool:

I agree this is the best snow vehicle I have ever driven. Well, except for the one that said Arctic Cat on the side.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We had well over a foot of snow here. We were driving back from New York the other day with our 94' Accord (We prefer to use the Accord when going to Brooklyn) and it was really bad. We saw so many accidents from Staten Island to up this 17 mile road that gets us to our home.

When we were going up the 17 mile road the conditions were terrible at best. The car was skidding all over the place, ABS was constantly going off, we had to run it in 2nd gear because the thing couldn't struggle through the snow and up the hills. Worse the wind shield kept icing up and we had to pull over half way up because it was blinding us. Took forever but we got home.

Funny though, the driveway must of had at least 6-10 inches of snow and we got up to the door (At that point we had to disarm the house alarm with this remote we had) then opened the garage and the car got stuck. Tires spun, I even tried to push while someone gave it gas but I just slipped and fell. Finally got it in with trial and error.

I wish we could of taken the Ridge, but glad in a way we didn't because the Accord got bombarded by more than a few salt spreaders.

This morning we had over a foot leftover, we put the Ridge in reverse and engaged the VTM-4, hit the gas and made it to the end of the driveway. Getting back in I had to put it in first gear and made it back in. Bit of a struggle but it did much better than the Accord.

Can't wait to see how it does out on the road during a blizzard. Just glad we have one AWD vehicle, can't wait until we get the second.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
What a beautiful view you have, kellcut. Nice piece of land you have there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so I'm moving to Omaha in September and I was told I would need to get snow tires are normal factory tires fine? Oh and moving from Georgia to Omaha.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
ok so I'm moving to Omaha in September and I was told I would need to get snow tires are normal factory tires fine? Oh and moving from Georgia to Omaha.
The OEM Michelin tires are unusually good in snow and slush. However, it's not the snow that is the problem. It's the cold (and ice). When temperatures get much below freezing, all-season and M+S tires get hard and slick, whereas true winter tires (the ones with the mountain/snowflake symbol) will stay soft and stickier.

I would have gotten the Michelin X-Ice model if I could have found them in stock. Instead, I got Toyo G-02. They are good, but not as easy to balance.

If you have any winter mishap that involves loss of traction using year-round tires, you will suddenly find that spending four figures on really good winter tires seems like a bargain.

Blizzaks also work as advertised, but they only last about 1/3 as long as many other good winter tires. That's why garages love selling them!

See http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/index.jsp

Yes, you should have winter tires. Omaha's average winter low is 11F.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thought I"d post a few pictures of what our driveway looks like and the incline of it. It's hard to get a good idea, but I'll try.

In the last picture, you'll see my husband's Civic off to the left (just the tire). It was stuck and I was able to pull it out today. No VTM or anything, just put it into second. A little spinning of the wheels, then out it came. You can see the drive is all snow covered with packed snow, and ice underneath. Great truck!

THere is a nearly 180 degree turn at the top of the drive, which makes it a difficult climb when it's snowy. Especially when the snow drifts over it!
Hey Ho; that looks a lot like my driveway at my last residence- save it was thru the woods. Thanks for the snow driving news, I need this info for my new to me '18 R/L

1 - 17 of 17 Posts