Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2017 Ridgeline has 45,000 miles. The original tires were replaced at 35,000 miles with Michelin Cross Climate SUV tires. We have snow and ice on our local roads about 4 months of the year. With previous vehicles I have always purchased inexpensive steel rims and mounted something like Blizzaks on them. I don't like studded tires. When it came time to do the Ridgeline, I scoured the internet in vain looking for inexpensive steel rims for 245/60R 18" wheels. No luck, I would have to buy a set of fancier more costly aluminum wheels. The Michelin Cross Climate tires are touted as an all season tire so I figured I would use one tire year round. Turns out the Michelin's are a great tire most of the time. But, we have found they aren't as sure footed on ice and snow. Traction is not the problem, but rather sliding around on nasty roads. You have to drive pretty slow sometimes and be gentle on the brakes.

Does anybody on this forum have any recommendations for inexpensive steel rims and for a tire that is not as slippery in snow or ice. Remember, I don't like studded tires. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I assume you are going to wait until next winter then. I'd just look at ebay/craig's during the year and maybe you can score a deal on some wheels. Then at the beginning of the fall, or end of this winter you can watch out for some deals on snows. The RL is pretty good so any snow with reasonable reviews should work to avoid the dreaded ABS clicking under braking. I prefer Blizzaks but when I purchased they weren't available so I got some Yokos which have performed well in all conditions. There are plenty of good choices out there but IMO the tires that can not be studded will be better on ice than a tire that can be studded (but not studded). RL is never short on pull off traction, the tires make the difference with braking and turning.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Does anybody on this forum have any recommendations for inexpensive steel rims and for a tire that is not as slippery in snow or ice. Remember, I don't like studded tires. Thanks.
The G1 steel wheels fit the G2. I sourced mine from a local junkyard and had them sandblasted. Then I painted them and mounted 235/70/17 Blizzaks. Sometimes you can find them on craigslist for cheap.

STL63894/64011 Honda Pilot, Ridgeline Wheel Steel #42700SJCA01
Make/Model/Year:

Honda Pilot 2009-2015
Honda Ridgeline 2006-2014

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought after market wheels ($$$$) and had Blizzaks mounted (Costco). I live in eastern WA up high. Lots of snow and ice. Between the awd and good tires, it’s unstoppable. By far better than my 4wd Tacoma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts