Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you cold weather RL owners:

I'm strongly considering snow tires for my RL. I've always purchased snow tires for my vehicles here in Salt Lake City. I had Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Subaru Outback, and it was pretty close to unstoppable in the snow. We don't get a whole lot of snow here in the valley, but I head up the canyons very often, and I'll be doing it more this year because I'll be working part time on weekends as a ski instructor. The canyon roads are maintained very well (tourist $$ is big here in winter, so UDOT spends a lot of money plowing) but since it snows 500" a year up the canyons, it can still be very snowy.

But I have no idea what the RL is like in snow. I imagine it is MUCH better in the snow than a traditional 4x4 truck with part time 4wd, but is it as good as an awd Audi or Subaru? How are the stock tires in snow? They are rated M+S, but I'm suspicious of the typical "all season" ratings. Tires like that, in my experience, are not very good in any situation, but at best mediocre in all. I've had very good experience with Blizzaks on ice and snow, but we're talking about a $500+ investment.

So, what do you think? Is it worth it to get snow tires for the RL?

I'll probably purchase them locally, and have them installed and uninstalled at the shop; I don't want to spring another $400 for wheels.

L

·
0 Posts
I had a good month or better with snow and Ridgena. No problem's at all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Check out the Michelin Latitude X-Ice, they are the updated version of the Michelin Artic Alpine which had a better rating than the Bridgestone.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
swampler said:
I've heard the RL is very good in snow. Look at the tire ratings for the Michelin at Tire Rack...they're rated excellent for snow.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I also saw a couple of snowstorms. No issues at all. I'm looking forward to snowboard season. Killington has 22 trails open.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Would you ever get chains?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll let you know real soon supposed to get 5cm tonight

·
Registered
333 Posts
bonerep said:
Would you ever get chains?
I have struggled with this question ever since I started driving AWD vehicles 15 years ago. My Audi Quattros ('84 and '88) didn't have clearance for chains, so I never bothered even carrying them. But then I was always a little nervous heading to the snowline to ski or over the Cascade passes because they can occasionally get real nasty and you are supposed to carry chains by law. However, you can pass the 'Chains Required' signs if you have 4wd and M+S rated tires, according to the State Patrol. I have always wondered what sign they put up if they wanted chains mounted even on 4wds.

My last vehicle was a 92 Toyota Previa AWD, and I did carry chains for it. When I recently got my RL, I took my 3 year old but unused chains back to Les Schwab and they traded them up to my new size for only the difference in cost.

So, to finally answer your question, yes I got chains.... and I have a trunk to store them!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have never used or needed snow tires or chains with my 4WD or AWD vehicles. Just a good, agggressive, all season, radial tire.

This includes heading in and out of the interior of British Columbia under some horrific winter driving conditions (bad enough to close passes or highways), Alberta blizzards at -40, and up to ski hills on those big powder mornings....no problem.....ever.

I am looking forward to getting the Ridgeline out there this season.:cool:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I agree with rms56 a good all weather and if possible all terrain tire should do the trick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BIGGUY said:
I agree with rms56 a good all weather and if possible all terrain tire should do the trick.
The key difference between snow tires and all seasons regardless of their rating is the temperature envelope of the compound. Knobby or not all seasons have a specific temperature zone that they operate best in. Although the stock RL tires ARE very good in snow they still have a higher ideal temperature band then a true snow tire...They have to other wise it would be like driving on grease in the summer. So compound is the number one reason to buy snow tires.

Several tests I've seen have concluded that a two wheel drive snow tired car is easier to drive then a AWD with all seasons. Although traction on take off might be the same braking is actually the real peformance killer in winter. And when braking AWD does zippo...all that matters is traction.

Water is also a third consideration. What makes ice slippery is the thin film of water which pressure brings out onto the ice. This is why ice is a low friction surface. Most well designed snow tires have snipes which act like a sponge to soak up this water allowing the compund to grip. Next time there is some ice around put a sock over one boot. The sock absorbs the water allowing you to walk easily on the ice. Good snow tires work the same way.

I, and more importantly my wife and kids drive in snow and ice from October to..well sometimes June. I have recently purchased Blizzaks for my RL and they have been excellent. I tried to get Michelin X-ice but they were out of stock in the correct size. My tire guy is kind of crazy...He loves giving pefect service (if only Honda dealers were so kind). He phoned Honda and spent an hour or so talking to an engineer about what tires he should order for me. At least unofficially the Blizzaks were the way to go.

A nod to a comment in another post...My Blizzaks are slightly narrower then stock which in theory allows them to sink a little deeper in the powder (we do have the best skiing/boarding on the planet but that's our little secret).

The RL's traction systems are excellent in the snow and the stock tires are reasonable. Throw on a pair of snowies and save the stockers for the summer. It only takes one panic stop on the ice for them to pay for themselves.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Good informative post kbird, but it needs a minor typo correction. The tire grooves are sipes. If they were snipes, tires would be coated with poor squashed birds! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I were you, I'd give the OE Michelins a try. We had a heck of a storm here in the burbs of Philly on Friday. I went inot work, the roads have not been plowed, and I had no trouble with the Michelins (which I think are rated M +S ). Much better than my Pilot with the all season Goodyears.

Jeff

·
Registered
720 Posts
Jeff in PA said:
If I were you, I'd give the OE Michelins a try. We had a heck of a storm here in the burbs of Philly on Friday. I went inot work, the roads have not been plowed, and I had no trouble with the Michelins (which I think are rated M +S ). Much better than my Pilot with the all season Goodyears.

Jeff
The Pilot stock tires are worthless!! (Goodyear Integrity)

Swapped out after 13k for Mich Cross-trerr SUV.

The stock RL tires are some of the best stock tires I have seen!

TL

·
Registered
678 Posts
I also saw a couple of snowstorms. No issues at all. I'm looking forward to snowboard season. Killington has 22 trails open.
What's a 'Killington'? Is this an east coast ski area? Never heard of it.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Killington, VT. One of the biggest, best ski areas on the East Coast.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hmmm. Ok, got it now, but I've still never heard of it. Must be because living out here on the west coast we've got tons of first class ski resorts.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
basils said:
Hmmm. Ok, got it now, but I've still never heard of it. Must be because living out here on the west coast we've got tons of first class ski resorts.
We all know Western US Mountains are better but you don't have to rub it in the poor Easterner's face quite that hard did you? :confused:

They have to use what they have. They don't rub it in our face that Lobster is a $1 a pound less than what we pay do they (weak example but the only thing I could think of). :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts