Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Massachusetts, I just bought a Ridgeline AWD Sport Model. My question is should I buy snow tires?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have with my 2019 Ridgeline. I purchased almost new rims from this forum and shod them with some Michelin X-Ice from Costco.
Its not only the tires, but its the rims that take a good salting, so its nice to have a Winter set

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I live in Massachusetts, I just bought a Ridgeline AWD Sport Model. My question is should I buy snow tires?
It only takes that one time when you have to be out. Braking and turning won't are greatly improved with snows. I go from Albany to Boston a lot shuttling my daughter to college there. Last year the snows made all the difference during the blizzard. This year I've been fortunate to avoid storms so far so I use my Accord if possible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would say, since you live in MA, a dedicated set of snow tires is always the best option for winter. It makes for extra expense and extra inconvenience having to change them annually. The choice is yours.

·
Vendor
819 Posts
It really comes down to your needs and how much you are out driving in snow, ice conditions. Snow tires will give you the best traction but it is typically best to have them installed on some winter wheels as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm in Ontario Canada. I recently moved from a Ridgeline to an F-150 (bit of a story there). I always ran Michelin LTX M/S (or Defenders) on the Honda all year long and had no issues. These are not dedicated winter tires. Within the first month of F-150 ownership I purchased dedicated winter wheels/tires. I guess it depends on your level of risk taking but for 12 years of ownership I felt confident year round with the Ridgeline on the Michelins

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also in Ontario, Canada. Winter rims with Michelin ice for me and I’m happy with them. If you plan to keep truck for a long time the investment in winter rims/tires is worthwhile I think. Also winter tires have softer compounds and provide improved braking and road holding performance in cold weather conditions, so benefits are not only snow related.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats!
I also live in MA, and have been running 2 sets of tires on nearly all of my vehicles. As mgedit mentioned, snow tires aren't just for the snow, they are for the cold weather also. The rubber compound is different than a summer/all season tire, and performs much better (traction and stopping) once the temp drops below 40. +1 on Costco. They usually have great deals on winter tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with mgedit but since the Ridgeline is basically front wheel drive, I personally felt confident on the OEM tires year round. Plus at cost was an issue. I won't argue that safety trump cost though.
My personal situation has changed somewhat, that is why I'm getting winter tires/rims on this F-150. Today actually. Plus the F-150 kinda sucks in the snow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine is AWD also. What is was getting at is the fact that it's FWD all the time unless conditions cause AWD to kick in.
FWD vehicles are better in the snow than RWD typically.
FWIW I wasn't aware of the fact that FWD Ridgelines are even a thing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think the decision to go with snow tire becomes a little harder if you live in marginal snow / ice areas. .. But there really is no substitute for safety. I found the G1 OEM Michelin LTX tires to be pretty much useless in our snow / ice at around 30K miles and bought a set of Blizzaks for it on the 3rd winter. I never thought they were any more than marginal even when new. The G2 OEM Firestone tires were useless for me at 25K miles. They were also a notch or two down from the LTX tire right out of the box

After much frustration with the Firestone tire this past early December, I bit the bullet and did the tire /wheel combo with a set of Continental Viking Contact 7s. ...Even though we only had 4 weeks left to run them before heading to the SW for the winter. Couldn't be happier! We had several ice / rain / snow storms in December. It would have downright dangerous running the OEM tire. Next year I'll put them on in mid October. We had about 100" of snow when we left a couple weeks ago.

As for the FWD bias of the AWD RL, I also have always thought this was the best way to go, but now that we have a RWD bias AWD sedan, I kinda like it better in slippery conditions. Being FWD, the RL tends to understeer a tad before all the aids and RWs kick in. The RWD bias car is the opposite with a very slight oversteer before the aids and FWs kick in. It's a much more natural feeling. I can't speak for all road conditions, but IMO, the car will outperform the truck in many handling conditions. Of course to compare apples to apples, I'd have to have the same tire on the car as the truck

·
Registered
34 Posts
While even a few years ago, the FWD bias of AWD was true. The Ridgeline breaks from the mold in the G2 series, and the fact is it doesn’t actually default to FWD anymore. The wheel power is constantly being analyzed 500 times a second, and power allocated.
On the Ridgeline, you never actually know where the power is going, and just trusting in the computer.
It works for me, as I am a few weeks in to a new (to me) Ridgeline, and I have been trying to break traction, and so far haven’t been able to.

·
Registered
461 Posts
While even a few years ago, the FWD bias of AWD was true. The Ridgeline breaks from the mold in the G2 series, and the fact is it doesn’t actually default to FWD anymore. The wheel power is constantly being analyzed 500 times a second, and power allocated.
On the Ridgeline, you never actually know where the power is going, and just trusting in the computer.
It works for me, as I am a few weeks in to a new (to me) Ridgeline, and I have been trying to break traction, and so far haven’t been able to.
Here's what I see:

The 2017 Ridgeline’s i-VMT4 system is one of the big reasons why it’s able to be so flexible. During normal driving on pavement where there’s plenty of traction, up to 100 percent of available torque can be transferred to the front wheels. This helps the 2017 Honda Ridgeline maintain its great fuel efficiency ratings. When the system detects slippery conditions, it will automatically transfer torque to the back wheels for extra grip and traction.

The above confirms there will be slight understeer before the aids kick in....just as there is slight oversteer in our RWD bias AWD car before the same happens. I prefer the slight oversteer. Pushing even slightly on ice into a corner isn't good. We have about 25K miles on the truck and parts of 3 winters at 100 inches per year or so before we leave for the winter. We had 80K miles on our G1 RL

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I was in SLC where I lived for 12 years before moving to Colorado two years ago. Big storm on Friday morning. My wife gets a call from her sister telling her that she went off the road and totaled her car, a few minutes later, her husband goes off the road in the same spot and then someone else runs into the back of his car. What is the common denominator? Crappy tires. I go to give my brother in law a ride to get a rental while he waits for the tow truck(3 hours).Minutes later, I drive down the same steep section of road in my 18 Pilot with winter tires(Michelin Latitude X-ice) without a slip or issue. I drive up the same hill and again no slipping or sliding. I asked my brother in law if it was worth it to be cheap on tires, he didn't say anything. But I have been telling him that for 20 years. Get winter tires and save your cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My uncle lives in Syracuse, with a G2 RL, talked me into buying a 19 RL. When I asked about snow performance, He said he never has had a problem in snow and winter. I went with Blizzaks on my factory rims for two reasons. 1. I have a 2-2.5 hr commute to work and I have to get there. 2. One off-road excursion with damage due to road conditions is easy money saved on insurance/damage repair down the road. I agree with mcm0455!

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I asked my brother in law if it was worth it to be cheap on tires, he didn't say anything. But I have been telling him that for 20 years. Get winter tires and save your cars.
I've found that it never facilitates inlaw relationships by playing the "I told you so" card. Perhaps in the future, you could stop being politically correct and say "phuck you and the tires you drove in on" and let him find his own way home. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts