Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
260 Posts
I've read really good reviews on Michelin X-Ice and purchased a set this past week for my '19 Nissan Leaf, and also got them from Discount Tire on their store associate's personal recommendation. Had them installed on a 2nd set of wheels so will install on the car in a few weeks when the weather turns. I've never driven on them so can't speak for their actual performance yet. Also in my case, chose an inch smaller wheel diameter & taller tire profile to better handle the frost craters.

As for the need for snow tires on the Ridgeline, that's likely debatable. I'm in the snowbelt area of NE Ohio and found the factory Firestones (and AWD) more than sufficient for my needs thus far.

You might want to check with your local Discount Tire retail store. They offered me free mounting & balancing on a current promotion so got them a few weeks earlier than planned.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E Black and Low
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope to hear how you like them.
currently on back order in sizes that fit original wheels, my Firestone tires are nearly wore out so not wanting to run them in snow.

As I drive hard on dry roads with lowered and sway bar equipped truck I will get Pilot Sport 4 on 22” wheels in spring.

If it wasn’t for that plan 17” rims for snow tires would be a great idea, but I can’t see 3 sets of wheels working for me.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I'm not sure about the Xice3 but other versions of the Xice were the only snows I knew of that had a mileage warranty. They're always in the top with the Blizzaks and Hakkapelittas. Ridgeline is so good in the snow all that's really needed is a tire that does well under snow braking but doesn't give up too much on dry or wet roads. I remember in the past that wet road braking suffers with snows (based on TR data) would never have thought that but in the end the gains from snow tires when it snows far outweigh the losses from snow tires in other conditions.

·
Registered
2021 Canadian Ridgeline Sport
129 Posts
will install on the car in a few weeks when the weather turns.
When the weather turns??? You ain't from around here, are ya, boy? :LOL:

I drove through snow yesterday (October 7) on my way to get my snow tires mounted, balanced and installed. I was actually pushing the law by a few days. Around here (i.e., the province of British Columbia, in Canada), you are required to be wearing tires designed with M+S or the mountain/snowflake as of October 1. Enforcement is usually pretty light in early October, but there is definitely a reason for it. Deciding you don't really need snow tires because of your special Sooper-dooper AWD SUV/Ridgeline/F150/Tesla/whatever is a good way to end up with a fat fine.

I don't need snow tires! I know how to drive! The gummint is stealing my freedoms! Yeah, well go ahead. See how that works out for ya.

Note that while AWD may contribute to stability in messy conditions, it doesn't help you stop. Every car has 4-wheel brakes. Also, that stability may lead you to believe that things aren't as bad as they really are. Since the AWD vehicle doesn't get twitchy, you may not realize how slippery it really is. AWD is not a panacea! Be careful out there!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had them on my Rav4 Hybrid. I liked them a lot. Good snow performance and decent wear considering I'm in western PA. It's not always cold enough for snow tires, but you never know when you're going to need them. And with the goat paths that qualify as roads in some parts, you don't want to be caught without them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got Cooper Evolution winter tires from Tirerack. I have been very happy with General Arctic on my other cars, but could not find them in Ridgeline size. I always get studabble tires, since the softer compound of studless wear out too quickly. Blizzacks are amazing the first year, but wear very quickly.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E Black and Low
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Am hoping to get the 265 snows for the slight lift, as I am lower and need height in our infrequent deep snow events.
Also often in off season much mud is encountered and width helps with this.

I tow a 24’ airstream and locally move a 31’ and a 34’ airstream off road so mud traction is an issue

OEM tires were not good for me

Wheel Snow Tire Land vehicle Car

Stuck on a flat road off camber slope, needed 2 people push

Embarrassing moment in front of neighbors with my new used truck, 3 weeks new to me….
towed both of them out last snow with my Expedition that I traded in.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I'm not sure about the Xice3 but other versions of the Xice were the only snows I knew of that had a mileage warranty. They're always in the top with the Blizzaks and Hakkapelittas. Ridgeline is so good in the snow all that's really needed is a tire that does well under snow braking but doesn't give up too much on dry or wet roads. I remember in the past that wet road braking suffers with snows (based on TR data) would never have thought that but in the end the gains from snow tires when it snows far outweigh the losses from snow tires in other conditions.
Thats my problem living in Seattle. Daily driving in the winter is almost always rainy and its pretty accepted here that snow tires suck in the rain. Problem is we live in an area where having to cross a mountain pass is pretty normal and we get lots of snow there.
One can avoid chaining up with an awd vehicle and m+s rated tires but I have found m+s tires to be lacking on icy roads which can be present in town and the mountains.
Just ordered some Michelin CrossClimate SUVs 265/60R18 yesterday from Discount Tire. Scheduled to get them installed in two weeks as the store manager said he is having to get them transferred from multiple stores to get a set. Yea supply chain shortages!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Just ordered some Michelin CrossClimate SUVs 265/60R18 yesterday from Discount Tire. Scheduled to get them installed in two weeks as the store manager said he is having to get them transferred from multiple stores to get a set. Yea supply chain shortages!
It appears that you have made a good choice: https://www.cartirereviews.com/tire-reviews/michelin-crossclimate-suv/ I am assuming that you are planning on operating them year round?

We're getting ready to move back to Montana in a year or so and already purchased a second set of wheels for mounting winter tires, but we now rethink that strategy?

Bill

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
It appears that you have made a good choice: https://www.cartirereviews.com/tire-reviews/michelin-crossclimate-suv/ I am assuming that you are planning on operating them year round?

We're getting ready to move back to Montana in a year or so and already purchased a second set of wheels for mounting winter tires, but we now rethink that strategy?

Bill
Yea Im going to use them year round. Honestly if wasnt for the fact I am driving to FL for Christmas I might have just made do with the stock tires for another year though Im not impressed by them.
The only time I ever felt the need for snow tires was when I lived in Spokane where there is as close to zero winter road maintenance as they could get away with and even then it was because I had a one-wheel-drive Ford Courier that was sketchy on wet roads and close to immovable in the snow so I may not be the best person to answer this question.
I drove from Spokane to Missoula in snow storms with a VW van on all-seasons on multiple occasions so…

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Thats my problem living in Seattle. Daily driving in the winter is almost always rainy and its pretty accepted here that snow tires suck in the rain. Problem is we live in an area where having to cross a mountain pass is pretty normal and we get lots of snow there.
One can avoid chaining up with an awd vehicle and m+s rated tires but I have found m+s tires to be lacking on icy roads which can be present in town and the mountains.
Good luck with the Michelins, they are supposed to be one of the best. I'm a big fan of the General Altimax RT43's and I now see that General has a 3 peak tire now as well. So basically it comes down to the Cross Climates, Firestone Weathergrips, General Altimax 365AW and the Goodyear Weather Ready's. Sounds like your conditions out there are like it is for some folks in Colorado. You can get many seasons in a day! Need snow tires one day and the next day it's too warm to melt your snows or you need a good balance between snow and wet. Looks like you are the ideal candidate for 3 peak designated tires.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
And Nokian WR SUV.
I'll didn't mention the Nokains or the Toyos because South Main Auto had some really bad things to say about one of them in one of the videos. I'm thinking it was the Nokians because IIRC he was shocked how one of the best snow tire makers could make such a crappy tire.

Edit: Found it, go to 3:05. He likes the Toyo's too.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
My experience with the Nokians has been different. I’m currently on my third set between two vehicles.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Good luck with the Michelins, they are supposed to be one of the best. I'm a big fan of the General Altimax RT43's and I now see that General has a 3 peak tire now as well. So basically it comes down to the Cross Climates, Firestone Weathergrips, General Altimax 365AW and the Goodyear Weather Ready's. Sounds like your conditions out there are like it is for some folks in Colorado. You can get many seasons in a day! Need snow tires one day and the next day it's too warm to melt your snows or you need a good balance between snow and wet. Looks like you are the ideal candidate for 3 peak designated tires.
Ive experienced the sudden weather changes the Denver area gets. Seattle is no where as near as extreme. We seldom get measurable snow in town since we are at sea level but the weather changes as you head east.
Seattle is at or near sea level and is mile 0 on I-90. Snoqualmie pass is 3,000ft and is mile 54 on I-90.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts