Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
So, this thread is leading me to ask the question, if you were to choose one tire for conditions from 100 degrees F to 20 below zero, sun, rain, snow, and ice, what would that tire be?

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
I would choose the Nokian in 255/60R18 because it is XL rated, four seasons, mountain snowflake icon, and I have had good experience with them. Although minuscule by comparison to Rocky Mountain passes, these tires served me well going over Anderson Grade in the Siskiyou Mountains.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
So, this thread is leading me to ask the question, if you were to choose one tire for conditions from 100 degrees F to 20 below zero, sun, rain, snow, and ice, what would that tire be?

Bill
Probably the Firestone or the General with the 3 peak rating. These are all weather, not all (3 season really) tires. The Michelins and the Goodyears are expensive and most of the time my tires dry rot before they wear out. I have a few cars now that I haven't purchased a second set of wheels for so I'd probably go the 3 peak route. Some winters are worse than others but don't have to be out in the elements anymore and it has become a chore lugging mounted tires into the basement. Here I usually switch out the first week of December and last week of March.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I just bought Arctic Claws tires. Put on stock rims. I got 265/60R18s. It usually does not snow in WV until late November, so they are not on the truck yet. Soon. I had ordered the Blizzaks originally, but was convinced by several factors that they were just as good, if not better. At half the price. With the amazing traction control and ANY snow tire, I am sure it makes little difference what snow tires we chose in the end.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E Black and Low
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The way I see it I will burn through 3 sets of tires during the time I own this truck.
Might as well have best for snow for 4 months, best for handling for 4 months, best for road tripping for 4 months.

I need room for 3 sets of wheels…..
or change snows out with road trip tires on OEM wheels, and have the Pilot Super Sport 4s on American Racing 22” for summer crusing the twisty stuff

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The more I am looking into this the more convinced I am becoming that we just may be doing away with the old school practice of switching summer and winter tires and simply going with all-weather tires, (not all-season tires but all-weather tires, I am learning there is a difference.) I am also having to concede that studded tires may also be no longer in our future........................
Bill

·
Registered
2021 Canadian Ridgeline Sport
129 Posts
When I had a full-size pickup, I had Cooper M+S tires on it during the summer, so I could leave them on after October 1 even with the British Columbia snow tire requirements. For this reason, I had a set of Cooper studded snow tires that went on at the beginning of December, which is when I start skiing. They worked extremely well.

The RL came with "3 season" Firestones which must be replaced with actual snow tires sometime around the beginning of October here in BC. Since I don't want to run the studs for an extra two months before winter really gets serious, I have chosen a studless solution: the Pirelli Ice Zero FR. We'll see how they work.

The Pirellis are a compound that I would not want to use in warm weather, so I have two sets of tires mounted on wheels.

·
Registered
21 RTL-E in Lunar Silver Metallic
6 Posts
Thats my problem living in Seattle. Daily driving in the winter is almost always rainy and its pretty accepted here that snow tires suck in the rain. Problem is we live in an area where having to cross a mountain pass is pretty normal and we get lots of snow there.
One can avoid chaining up with an awd vehicle and m+s rated tires but I have found m+s tires to be lacking on icy roads which can be present in town and the mountains.
Just ordered some Michelin CrossClimate SUVs 265/60R18 yesterday from Discount Tire. Scheduled to get them installed in two weeks as the store manager said he is having to get them transferred from multiple stores to get a set. Yea supply chain shortages!
I live Seattle too. Have been running Yokohama Geolandar A/T g015 on my last 3 vehicles and love them.

·
Super Moderator
2,231 Posts
I had those Geolanders on my Ford Escape. They were great in the snow with that AWD system.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had a set of new Arctic Claws mounted on my spare stock wheels today. I probably won't put them on the truck until first week of November. Great price too. $135 mounted/balanced per tire. I've not seen many reviews on these, but I know the shop I bought them from very well (best friend owns it). I was told they sell many of these and their customers love them.
EDIT: I got these in 265/60 R18
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 RTL
2 Posts
Have been running studded snows on all vehicles in winter. Black ice occurs often in Maine from freezing fog on the coast and packed snow at intersections in town turns to ice due to catalytic converters. I have been very happy with Nokians and I have a set of Hakkapeliitta 10s on rims ready to go. Biggest drawback with the studs is the noise but nothing beats them on ice.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts