Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a rear mount plow like the Snowsport brand. I have a short driveway and something like this would clear it off in no time. I seen other put a front mount plow on a couple Ridgeline's but no rear. They make the front receivers but I rather not go that route if I don't have to. Just an idea I am tossing around. I had a 02 CRV I planned to put sold it before I had chance.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
No way, ever plow before. Plowing is or can be very hard on a truck let alone going backwards even if you think you know what your doing. What are you going to do when the banks get 2' - 3' high. You need speed to get the fresh stuff up and over the bank. I just couldn't see plowing backwards at 15mph or more. Just my 2 cents, I've been plowing for years and I would never put my RL thru it. Get a cheap truck, quad or side by side 4x4 with a plow setup. They sell anything now a days.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I learned how to drive in a 89 Dodge Ram that was modified for plowing, back when we had a real winter in Nova Scotia. After that I drove a 94 F150 for years plowing in the winters.

I see most people have mounted these plows to the front but for what I wanted to do I don't mind reverse but if the reverse gear isn't going to take it I wouldn't put it through the punishment. I no longer have a need for a full time plow truck, we now hire our commercial parking lots out and sold our old truck. I've often talked about buying another cheap truck to plow with and for other work before I bought the Ridgeline but than I am stuck with another vehicle in the yard. I also had a 04 Polaris with a plow that worked pretty well and would love to have another but it just isn't in the cards right now.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It wouldn't be so bad if you have a 80-90' driveway and planned to plow every 6". Not a ton of truck beating with one driveway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never measured the drive way but it's about 4 to 5 car length long all flat. I had thought about mounting it on the rear and than next winter getting a front receiver.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'd do it if that's all you're doing. Not like this is a family car. They make snowblowers for this but the plow would certainly work and I doubt you tear anything up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For a driveway of that length, I'd stick with a good snow thrower. As for the Snowsport. IF I was to use one, I'd prefer it mounted in front for various reasons including better visability, gearing, etc. In the end, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Just some side comment on using truck for snow-plow. I rented an F150 yesterday (long story), and in slack time glanced at the owner's manual. I was stunned at the restrictions for plowing.... especially if you don't have the biggest engine. Just FYI, check manufacturing data before doing the plow thing. It's MUCH more restrictive than I would have thought.... doesn't compare to robust towing capacity for same vehicles. I guess it's a transmission stress thing.
Anyway, be sure to check your vehicle's limits first..... FYI. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts