Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In short I want an E. Heres all the deals on the table and one that maybe got away.

Vancouver Wa - $1K below. First $25K and went to $27 for trade. Tossed them my best offer and they refused.

Olympia - didn't even get to the table. Used car Manager rubbed me the wrong way

Tacoma - 1st week was over MSRP. Tossed them my best deal I got and waiting

Longview - MSRP then $1K below after I showed them Vancouver's website. It was already a hassle.

Bremerton - taking orders at MSRP

And the best of them all. Sumner. Here's the story -Made an appt to see the E. I arrive to see the internet manager and get shoved off twice to different people. Told E was sold before I got there. The salesman does the Box paper thing which I hate. I tell him We only need to talk about the price of the RL and my trade. RL was $2700 below MSRP and I would have to pay $350 for dealer trade. They offered $25K for my trade. I told them KBB is $28,400 for my model and I have add ons. I tell them I might as well take Vancouver's deal. They come up to $26K. I say $27K and he disappears. Mean while they give my 15K mile car a prostate exam. Somehow they wiped my radios settings and fiddled with some knobs. He comes back and says "if we can agree, do we have a deal? and I say that depends on if we agree". The come back with $26.5K and I'm sticking to $27. So he disappears again and says " I just checked to see if we can locate one and we can't. They're all spoken for. So I'm sorry this won't work out." Then he tries to get me to buy a "T". No dice I want an "E". So that was that. Maybe should of signed at $26.5K so they had to find me an "E". It was a good deal at the time but time changes everything.

Tacoma just emailed and said they're next E is due in Sept and is black and not the color I want. So I'm guessing they won't match Sumner's deal.

Checked every dealer website I can think of and not finding an "E". Maybe theres a shortage or its all BS. I see lots of lower trims.

Vancouver sold the one they have coming in. Waiting seems fine. The car I paid $33K for in Nov is fetching $26Kish and a few more miles is not going to change that. Meanwhile the tides will change and prices will drop as demand goes down and supply rises. The dealings with everyone has made me tired and taken the wind out of my sails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
...and that's how they wear you down! Many buyers just get tired of all the hassling and cave in to a so-so deal. I think you are wise to be patient and stick to your guns.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
359 Posts
Your best bet is to wait a few months and let the demand go down. They will be more willing to deal. Also, I usually just deal with the Internet sales managers via email to get the price I want. I don't even mention a trade if I have one. Secure the price of the RL first, then if you need to trade, work on your trade price. Working both at the same time will usually not yield you the best deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,727 Posts
7k depreciation in 8 months is damn near a k a month. I got used to Subarus I guess. My last one lost 4K in 36 months. You lose the least sticking to lower trims. Higher optioned trims you lose more on. I'd definitely stick to your number but private party sale is much easier. And always put resale at the top of your list, before you buy anything.

I'd blow it all off until the end of the year or at least wait until summer is over. You are spinning your wheels trying to get a deal on a FMC that has been out less than a month. Not worth the time right now. In a few months it will. This is why I don't even fool with it in the beginning. Just not enough of them in circulation so it's a bucket 1 instead of a 4. Can be done but not worth all the time and aggravation. You need at least a few of them sitting on lots. They constantly calculate how long they sit on the lot and those numbers are readily available to dealers and industry insiders. Fewer days on the lot the more of a PITA. If I buy this year, late December. Lowest APR's tend to creep then also. Multiple rain days and extreme cold weather are always on your side. And post Christmas is good too for leftovers. Most people are broke and in debt from the holidays, prime time for getting a leftover model. Summer time is for suckers and/or the impatient. You can get lucky, but even a busted clock is right twice a day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
You mentioned the box paper thing...I would have just walked out. I can't believe there are salespeople who still try that approach.

Next time, counter by drawing your own box....kidding.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,068 Posts
Checked every dealer website I can think of and not finding an "E". Maybe theres a shortage or its all BS. I see lots of lower trims.
From what I've observed, the higher trims sold through pretty fast leaving mostly mid and lower trims. Ordering can take days to weeks if a dealer swap on a pending factory order can be made. If not, it could take months to receive a factory order that is placed today - if Honda are even allowing factory orders to be placed by the dealer. As far as I know, dealers are still on allocation and can only exchange orders at best rather that order a specific vehicle.

You mentioned the box paper thing...I would have just walked out. I can't believe there are salespeople who still try that approach.

Next time, counter by drawing your own box....kidding.
Four-square is alive and well. As soon as I see that single, white sheet of paper coming toward me, I remind them that I'm not interested in numbers games - all I need to know is whether or not you'll accept my offer so we don't waste each others' time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
608 Posts
Four-square is alive and well. As soon as I see that single, white sheet of paper coming toward me, I remind them that I'm not interested in numbers games - all I need to know is whether or not you'll accept my offer so we don't waste each others' time.
I guess it still works for some dealers; however, I think it's a bogus game. I agree with you, I want to give you an offer and see if it's accepted, or no, then move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just contacted 2 or 3 more dealers. No Es in stock. Over charging on whats coming in. So far I have hit every single dealer along I-5 in Washington state. Portland to Everett. Not messing with Bellingham etc.

Klien was a fast talking SOB.I pretty much had to say " Thankyou for your time and hang up" cause I couldnt get him to stop. Not driving 100 miles to pay $1k under and dicked on my trade.

Bellevue is not dealing and they warned me about Klien.

Sticking a fork in it cause its done.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top