Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and nothing showed up as to how the MM actually makes a decision on when you need a particular maintenance done, so I'm just throwing this out there in hope that someone can help.

Obviously, the ECM knows all(and hopefully tells no one) but how does it determine when you need to change your oil, for example? Does it log speed vs. time and separate highway miles from local miles from stop-and-go congestion miles and take all that into consideration?

I've just become used to a fixed maintenance schedule, either 3000 miles/3 months for dino oil changes or 5000/6 for synthetic with other fluids changed at manufacturer's recommendations based on mileage/time. So I was a little alarmed when the MM on my 2018 waited until I went past 8,000 miles to flash an oil change reminder. Given that probably 70% of my driving is at highway speeds and I don't do much stop-and-go traffic I guess that's reasonable but what about tire rotation? I've always rotated tires every 5,000 miles, do I let them go for another 3,000?

What do you guys do? Do you follow the MM or just continue the 5,000 mile changes? And what about coolant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, diff/xfer cases, etc.?

Thanks and stay safe,
Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did a quick search and nothing showed up as to how the MM actually makes a decision on when you need a particular maintenance done, so I'm just throwing this out there in hope that someone can help.

Obviously, the ECM knows all(and hopefully tells no one) but how does it determine when you need to change your oil, for example? Does it log speed vs. time and separate highway miles from local miles from stop-and-go congestion miles and take all that into consideration?

I've just become used to a fixed maintenance schedule, either 3000 miles/3 months for dino oil changes or 5000/6 for synthetic with other fluids changed at manufacturer's recommendations based on mileage/time. So I was a little alarmed when the MM on my 2018 waited until I went past 8,000 miles to flash an oil change reminder. Given that probably 70% of my driving is at highway speeds and I don't do much stop-and-go traffic I guess that's reasonable but what about tire rotation? I've always rotated tires every 5,000 miles, do I let them go for another 3,000?

What do you guys do? Do you follow the MM or just continue the 5,000 mile changes? And what about coolant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, diff/xfer cases, etc.?

Thanks and stay safe,
Bill
I change the oil every 5000 miles, regardless of what the MM says. 5000 is easy to remember. Tranny fluid was the only other thing that was completely replaced, under warranty, due to a surging problem in the transmission.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The ECM receives data from sensors. Lubricants are refined to meet auto manufacturers specs. Algorithms, using the data from sensors, trigger the MM. Simple........,right? With my driving style, 5000 miles is way too long to change motor......the MM tells me so.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
It's been posted on here numerous times, so it should show up on a search. The algorithms measure several things, but I believe a primary input is engine rpms (how many for how long vs speed).

Best and easiest solution is to follow the MM. Anything else* is just throwing your money away.

* Of course, there are always a few exceptions. In my case, due to COVID, I only had 3500 miles on at one year since manufacture date. My solution was to simply change oil and NOT mess with the MM. I expect the MM to tell me to change the oil around 7-8k, which should be in 8-12 months, at which point I will change the oil again, change the filter for the first time, and only then will I reset the MM.

YMMV

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's more than just engine revs and time. The algorithm figures in load also If you take a trip for a set distance and at a set speed and then do the same trip but this time towing a load, the MM software figures in that extra load.
On my previous 07 RTS, I only averaged about 7000 miles a year. That was probably 50/50 street/highway. My maintenance minder would pop up the alert for maintenance in just about 11 months and pretty much the same every year. I would reset the alert and wait until my annual service. Every once in a while the dealer would ask " Did you reset the MM?". I would smile and say yes. Note that for the most part, I had all the recommended maintenance done over the 13 years I owned that truck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
While @zroger73 is recovering from his migraine, here's a link from another post of his I found (via search) explaining shorthand how the MM works and what it takes into account for service intervals.

This has been a heavily debated topic, but the fact remains that vehicles are well made enough to be reliably tracked by the computers that run them. Aircraft in the modern day use similar systems for preventative maintenance, which the MM is also accomplishing - maintenance done early enough to avoid almost all breakdown scenarios (outliers are defined in the manual but generally refer to those who hardly ever drive or who tow excessively in harsh climates), but late enough to be financially manageable by the owner.

@billg71, you'll save the most money while providing the best maintenance to your truck as decided by the engineers who built it by following the MM. You can also follow whatever you feel is safer and more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
May I offer that the Maintenance Minder is just one tool that is available to the owner, but it is not the only one, nor necessarily the best one? May I further offer that most lubricants are being recycled these days?

I personally like a planned set schedule. The recommended oil change interval on our diesel Jetta has been 10,000 miles, which seems to work considering it has now nearly 400,000 miles on it. That is the schedule I would be using if we were doing our own oil changes. But since the dealer has provided us with free oil changes with the purchase of our Ridgeline, we'll be using their 5,000 mile interval with the vehicle inspection that goes along with it.

As far as other fluid maintenance, it has been suggested many times that an alternate fluid change schedule for the 6-speed transmission would be beneficial, (30,000 miles?) The rear differential every 15,000 miles appears appropriate as with brake fluid is every three years. Other incidentals will be accomplished on a "as needed" basis where I do my own inspections.

Bill
An added note: May I also suggest that the manufacturer's main concern is to get a vehicle through it's warranty period at the least cost to the manufacturer? And that any breakdowns after the warranty period has expired are then possibly to the benefit to the manufacturer/dealer?
bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
@wjfyfe, I may also offer that instead of taking pain medication when the need arises, take it as a daily dosage preemptively? The only downside is you paying more for more pain medication, and possibly your liver won't thank you in the long run.

People pay extra money all the time for extra security that may not be necessary, and I'm fine with that. But the way this discussion tends to go is starting with asking, "What data allows the maintenance minder to be accurate, and is it safe to trust it?" Once someone explains how and why it's safe, the argument switches from a fact vs fiction type to an opinion of personal preference, "Well, I don't trust a computer to take care of my vehicle and prefer a scheduled maintenance routine - even if I pay more, I know for a fact my car is well taken care of." How do I reply to that then? Congrats? Cool? Not my thing but sure? That's all I could say, because at that point it isn't about if the MM works, it's about their life choices, and I won't then take the Honda Bible out to preach fire and brimstone to those who don't follow the MM straight and narrow way lol.

Honestly, I'm all for whoever wants to do their own thing. But when they call into question the systems that other people want to use, such as the maintenance minder provided from the factory, and then proceed to say they want to do their own thing anyway, that's when the argument becomes a dog chasing its own tail. So yes, people can change the oil every thousand miles for all I care, it isn't incorrect to say their trucks will be well maintained too. But when all's said and done, I'll be personally happy the MM allowed me to save money for anything else that might break unexpectedly, or for a future truck instead. I'm happy doing my own thing, and everyone else can be happy doing theirs.

To answer the more specific claims, insinuating the manufacturer has the MM installed and programmed to cause a planned obsolescence of sorts is misguided, because then we'd have Ridgelines and other Hondas breaking down on an almost consistent basis from fouled engine oil or bad transmissions, and it's such an easy lawsuit that the manufacturer just couldn't handle. Engines aren't iPhones and oil life isn't battery life. Apple was sued successfully for throttling their phone performance after two years due to battery drain increasing. Honda has been accused of their V6 being unreliable only due to the cylinder deactivation, but nothing I can think of has ever been brought in a lawsuit concerning the MM causing premature failure of a vehicle.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a suggested interval for all maintenance "on paper" for my gen 1 and have never used the "magic Maintenance Minder" . It's just me but I'm heading to 400,000 miles with my perfect RTL.
Problem is, the G2 has no maintenance schedule 'on paper' from Honda. Only things floating around are edited G1 schedules which use different fluids, and schedules produced by individual dealers which only benefits the dealers bottom line and empty your wallet. Now you have a mix of transmissions that have different schedules and fluids.

Sure doing maintenance early is not going to hurt anything, but just be wasteful. Without the correct schedule you may over look something. If you over look something while under warranty, repairs will be on your dime.

Simple, just follow the Maintenance Minder as Honda intended.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The MM oil algorithm is posted here and quite sophisticated.

I did an exhaustive study of available Honda J series 3.5 UOA's from oil dedicated site "bob is the oil guy" that user posted and did not find a single case of unserviceable oil when following the MM, backing the honda engineerings teams reality of a substantive buffer built into the MM.

Most people confuse the idea of cheap insurance with reality of assured waste.

·
Administrator
16,354 Posts
I'll also add that their are examples of Ridgelines on this forum with more 300,000 miles that were maintained per the MM.

There are also examples of Ridgelines that survived gross maintenance neglect and misuse (if not abuse).

(Then, we've got potentially hundreds of transmissions in 2Gs failing before the first transmission fluid change becomes due including some that never towed, but that's another story.)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
OldBlue37, the OP asked the following:

Thanks and stay safe,
Bill
I responded with how I am am maintaining our Ridgeline, that is all. I apologize if my opinion reflects something differently than your own.

Bill

·
Registered
733 Posts
Here is a thread with running example of ongoing Maintenance Minder codes and the mileage when it was displayed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
An added note: May I also suggest that the manufacturer's main concern is to get a vehicle through it's warranty period at the least cost to the manufacturer? And that any breakdowns after the warranty period has expired are then possibly to the benefit to the manufacturer/dealer?
bill
Are you suggesting manufacturers have extended service intervals as a cost management strategy? Who told you this? Do you realize how ludicrous this sounds? Keep on doing you.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
LOL, you folks attacking this statement are just being toooooooooooooooooooo funny! I guess recognizing sarcasm is just as dead as using common sense! :devilish:

Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
@wjfyfe, I replied in my first post to clarify what the maintenance minder did to track maintenance code timing, and to provide my take on what the general discussion tends to revolve around concerning it. So I read the OP's post too. In the second post directed at you, I was mostly addressing the concept that the maintenance minder isn't a reliable means of timely maintenance, as well as your claim that manufacturers use the maintenance minder to purposefully destroy their vehicles and get money back in repairs. I do admit that in replying I remembered your other posts elsewhere on the forum about the maintenance minder and also those of other people in this very thread that claimed that it wasn't a reliable method to use, so I responded with that in mind. If I sounded belligerent I apologise, and I definitely meant what I said: I don't care how other people maintain their cars if it works for them. I just care when the maintenance minder itself is called into question as being reliable or trustworthy, and responded with that mainly in mind. Don't apologise for your opinion. I just wanted to avoid misinformation, so I made a lengthy essay lol.

Edit: Sarcasm? Okay that you'll have to clarify because this is the internet, and the depths of crazy opinions is bottomless. So please treat me like I'm stupid next time, and mention you're being sarcastic. 😉 Sarcasm carries over better through voice, anyhow.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts