Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up to two... original owner, 2006 RTL.
Rebuilt the first time at 125K for $3300, due to the strawberry milkshake of death.

And just rebuilt again at 251K for $4500, due to an internal failure.

Let's hope nothing else major goes wrong for at least 12 months! :/

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
238K on original drivetrain, except the propeller shaft and front axles. Even all engine accessories (alternator, pwr steering, starter, AC compressor, etc) are still original to the truck.

Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
Honda replaced my trans under warranty at 56k miles due to a whine in top gear since new. 120k miles on it now.

Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
For my Canadian-built 2009 RTL, I have never had my transmission replaced and I have tortured the hell out of it by towing over the limit for many years in the summer months, not any more but I used to. Keeping the transmission fluid fresh is key, in my experience.

Registered
Zero times 2012 67k miles. As I understand from Scotty Kilmer channel, there aren't many good mechanics that can rebuild transmissions.

Super Moderator
Zero times 2012 67k miles. As I understand from Scotty Kilmer channel, there aren't many good mechanics that can rebuild transmissions.
SKilmer lost a lot of credibility around here when he basically trashed the Ridgeline with a lot of baseless criticisms. Now if he was right, that's one thing. And while I don't recall the particulars, I do recall he was way off base with his criticisms.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Well I wouldn't say it cant be done...but the shop that did the first rebuild had trouble. In fact, the rebuilt transmission wouldn't pass their QA testing. They ended up purchasing a used transmission and rebuilding that.

That lasted 6yrs / 125K miles...and truth be told I towed a 5K pound travel trailer around some MI,OH,IN,KY during that time.

Now I'm in SLC, the shop that rebuilt it this time also had problems They gave it back, and the first morning (@ somewhat cold temps) I drove it, the shift out of first was delayed and when it finally shifted, it was very hard.

Needless to say, I took it back. They had it about a week the first time. The second time, it's been more like 3. They ended up tearing it back down and re-replacing some piece.

But hey, its got a 5yr/100K warranty, so as long as nothing else major goes in the next 12 months I come out ahead.

And if it makes it 4 years, well my daughter will need a first car. ;)

Registered
2006, 230k mile, 2nd owner, steelblue ridge
I'm up to two... original owner, 2006 RTL.
Rebuilt the first time at 125K for $3300, due to the strawberry milkshake of death.

And just rebuilt again at 251K for $4500, due to an internal failure.

Let's hope nothing else major goes wrong for at least 12 months! :/
Over 230k on original trans. Have done the drain/fill/drive/repeat 3x fluid replacement twice with no issues.

Registered
SKilmer lost a lot of credibility around here when he basically trashed the Ridgeline with a lot of baseless criticisms. Now if he was right, that's one thing. And while I don't recall the particulars, I do recall he was way off base with his criticisms.
For those that may be interested, zroger73 noted in his post SK's comments about the RL Scotty Kilmer: Never buy a used Ridgeline!
I had look at the transmission major/minor reliability ratings for 1Gen on Consumer Reports website. I didn't see any ratings that would be cause for concern for me.
I expect I would be less likely to have transmission issues with a 1Gen IAW the data Consumer Reports collected from survey respondents.

Registered
I mentioned Scotty with a smile on my face. He has an enormous amount of opinions for a mechanic with a single car driveway. I can relate to the caution about transmission rebuilds but I doubt he has a lot Ridgeline experience.

Super Moderator
Well I have to give my 2 cents. I will finally turn over 320,000 on my 08 RTL. It shifts as well as it did the day it was new and off the showroom floor. I have no doubt that it will do the other 80,000 and make it to 400,000 on this original drivetrain.
I have to ask how far you plan to drive your Ridgeline? Aiming for 1 million miles? Sounds like you are well on the way and with a solid base to do it.

Registered
I have to ask how far you plan to drive your Ridgeline? Aiming for 1 million miles? Sounds like you are well on the way and with a solid base to do it.
My biggest concern is not being able to drive it every day, as I believe that is part of its secret to no breakdowns. I have no real reason, at this time, to think about another pickup. That may change as the all electric pickups are introduced as I now have the capability to operate one of those with free electricity. But for now my RTL just keeps marching on.

Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
176k miles with original everything. I have done many drains and fills of the trans fluid over the years with one round of multiple D&F's to change over to DW-1 fluid from the factory Z1. Still running on factory suspension, original front brake rotors (changing those soon), and all original pumps. I do currently have a small oil leak from the pan gasket, but that's really the only "issue" I've had with it. I need to have my airbags replaced AGAIN, so I'll likely have the dealership reseal the pan at the same time. I could do it myself, but I don't have a lift and I'm not doing it on jack stands.

As far as the Scotty Kilmer guy, he's incredibly annoying and has absolutely NO credibility at all. His claims and "advice" are all completely biased and related to his own unfounded opinions. Every time I see one of his videos pop up on YouTube, I cringe because I know something stupid is going to come out of his mouth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts