Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Administrator
15,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the first time in over a decade, I am no longer a Honda automobile owner. This evening, I traded my 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E for a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Signature.

What set this in motion was when the transmission in my 2019 Ridgeline failed at 14,000 miles. I provided a long list of other issues for the dealer to address while it was there. They fixed a few, dismissed some as "normal", and didn't fix some others.

Each of the 11 new Hondas I've purchased since 2006 has been more problematic than the last. I reached out to Honda and asked them to replace my 2019 lemon with a 2020. They refused. I later asked for them to pay for half of the trade difference. They refused again. I then asked what they were willing to offer to demonstrate their interest in retaining a loyal Honda customer. They robotically repeated "Honda will repair your vehicle per the terms and conditions of the warranty" as if from a script then stopped responding to my emails and phone calls.

I'll undoubtedly miss the utility of the Ridgeline, but I can't continue rewarding an automaker with declining quality who ignored my pleas for help.

I plan to remain active here. I still love the Ridgeline. I just didn't love MY last Ridgeline and I can't respect the company that made it because of the way they handled my case. This isn't the first time Honda slammed the door in my face - they did the same thing when the rear window spontaneously exploded in my 2007. My Ridgeline would have qualified for Texas Lemon Law based on the time spent being repaired, but the reality is that's a long, stressful process - it's easier just to move on. I got a fair trade value for the Ridgeline and employee pricing less rebates on the CX-5, so it didn't cost much to trade.

The Ridgeline has already been sold by a dealer in Dallas. I feel sorry for the next owner who will be faced with the problems it has and hope everything will be fixed under warranty to their satisfaction.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
  • Congrats Zroger. Based upon your comments yesterday, looks like the delta was lowered to $700 within trigger range. Hondas used to be enjoyable to own and when you got the next one it was even better. Now it's just always a fight with the dealer and clearly Honda doesn't (at least in my case too) stand by its products. There is a world of difference between a car that runs as designed and car that goes down the road and operates but not to spec. In Honda's mind, if it goes down the road and is safe, it's not on them. How times have changed. Hope that the Mazdas do you well and you can flip them when you want to under your own terms. Honda has done you wrong big time and clearly they are a bottom line company that you gave many, many chances to make things right and when they did the help came at the dealer level, not the Honda level.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hopefully your Ridgeline has a happier future with a new owner.............

I thought that I would share an experience I have witnessed over the past couple of years where a neighbor purchased a brand new brand X sport/luxury vehicle. Over the next 6-8 months the owner was continually complaining about all the things that were going wrong with it where the vehicle was spending more time sitting in the dealer's shop than getting driven. The neighbor across the street started growing weary of this owners constant complaining and offered to take the "lemon" off of the unhappy owners hands and paid a significant discount for it. Now almost a year later the purchasing neighbor has not had a single complaint about this "lemon" and swears it is the most fun vehicle he has ever owned.
Bill

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, bummer that you had to get rid of it, but after reading how they have treated you, that writing was on the wall. I am in a similar, albeit not exactly the same, situation as you. I have always had a VW until a week ago. Not any malice towards them, it was just time to get my Corvette. So ironically, I now have 2 Honda's and no VW's and the vette will come soon.

Wish you the best in the Mazda, I am sure it will treat you well. Glad you will be sticking around to help with your wealth of knowledge. Guess now is the time to ask for pics of the CX!

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Hopefully your Ridgeline has a happier future with a new owner.............
Some owners won't even notice the problems that concerned the OP. I actually almost feel sorry for the CX-5. It will be painstakingly scrutinized every day of its life. Enjoy the Mazda, @zroger73.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Sorry to hear that @zroger73, but glad you are sticking around. Honda should have treated you better. Maybe they're a little upset that only 2 or 3 people at Honda know more about the Ridgeline than you do!

Here's to hoping that Honda will improve their QA/QC sooner rather than later. It should be embarrassing to them that their loyal followers have to jump ship and go to Mazda or Toyota to get a quality build on top of reliability.

·
Administrator
15,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I obviously enjoy the automotive industry and interacting with forums. I enjoy learning about automobiles and sharing that knowledge and my experiences with them. Times change indeed - I never thought I'd see the day where I'd be impressed with and highly recommend a Kia (nods at the Telluride) while watching Honda fall from the top of the reliability ratings. What really bugs me about Honda is their response (or lack thereof) in situations like mine. I understand lapses in quality, but how the manufacturer responds to those lapses is key to the success of the brand. When Honda's quality goes down, they need to do their best to retain that customer in hopes they'll get another chance and have a better experience to write home about next time. Their denial and refusal to put forth any extra effort to do so is what will send the brand into a downward spiral.

I'm glad Honda finally realized there is a problem and is responding with operational changes and simplification, but those improvements can't happen overnight and may not be fully realized for many months, if not years. In the mean time, they need to turn their customer service "up to 11" to slow the bleeding. If Honda would have put forth at least some effort into getting me into another Ridgeline, I probably wouldn't have abandoned ship.

I'll publish a more thorough review of the CX-5 and discuss the good and bad in the coming days after I have time to test more of the features. My initial impressions are mostly positive. It reminds me a lot of the 2019 RDX I had, but at $10,000 less. The best things about the CX-5 are invisible - it's clear Mazda's budget is biased towards how it drives and feels on the inside and less on exterior design and the latest electronics.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I guessed before Christmas. zroger73, I would of done the same thing. I refuse to keep anything i don't feel comfortable with. Best of luck with your new toy!

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I guess Honda should add one more item to the inspection sheet BEFORE they release a vehicle for sale - the water drench test. At least they could solve the problem before the dealer has to spend hours and hours on diagnosis.

·
Administrator
15,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess Honda should add one more item to the inspection sheet BEFORE they release a vehicle for sale - the water drench test. At least they could solve the problem before the dealer has to spend hours and hours on diagnosis.
Every new Honda is driven through a water spray booth at the factory that simulates a torrential downpour to check for interior leaks, so either the inspectors and/or repairers aren't doing their job or the vehicles develop leaks after they leave the factory.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Totally understand; just sorry you had to endure all that. On the + side Mazda earned your business, and hopefully they and the CX-5 will perform well for you over time.

Really appreciate your insightful input on so many topics.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Best of luck with the CX-5. I had two Mazda 6’s (2003/2006) in the past and they treated me pretty well. And that was before they moved up-market with the premium strategy of today. During my last vehicle search, I test drove a 2017 CX-5 and liked everything but the lack of power from the 2.5L. I’ve been wanting to move from my 2017 Accord V6 Touring for a Ridgeline, or possibly a Passport, but the quality issues, from vehicles from the Alabama plant specifically, has me a bit hesitant. The RL is the only truck that I think I’d even consider. The Tacoma would be the only other remote possibility. I can't get the features I want on a full-size for under $50k. If I had a CUV/SUV, I’d need a trailer for some of the tasks I need the new vehicle to do and 2k lbs might not be enough if I were to get the CX-5.

i hope the CX-5 treats you well and you are pleased with it for as long as you want to own it 😀

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,772 Posts
Sad to hear, but have to be financially wise; I get the reason for your move. My sister was looking at the Pilot and the CX7, but ultimately decided to stay with Honda.

·
Administrator
15,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
During my last vehicle search, I test drove a 2017 CX-5 and liked everything but the lack of power from the 2.5L
The 2.5T in the Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trims fixes that. Those trims are faster than the RDX in every metric. The CX-5's 2.5T hits 60 in 6.2 seconds - nearly two seconds faster than the 2.5L. The RDX has more HP, but the CX-5 has more torque and weighs a couple hundred pounds less yet has more passenger and cargo volume. The CX-5 also gets 2 MPG better fuel economy and does all this with "only" a 6-speed automatic compared to the Acura's 10-speed unit.

The CX-5's interior isn't quite as luxurious as the RDX's, yet it's impressive considering the price point and the fact that Mazda is not (yet) a luxury brand. The CX-5's Bose system sounds just fine to me, but it's nowhere near as powerful as the RDX's extremely impressive ELS 3D Studio audio system and I prefer the RDX's True Touchpad Interface to Mazda's rotary knob.

My sister was looking at the Pilot and the CX7, but ultimately decided to stay with Honda.
I haven't done a detailed comparison between the Pilot and CX-9. Before buying the CX-5, I wished Mazda still made the CX-7. Since buying it, I understand why the CX-7 isn't necessary.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Every new Honda is driven through a water spray booth at the factory that simulates a torrential downpour to check for interior leaks, so either the inspectors and/or repairers aren't doing their job or the vehicles develop leaks after they leave the factory.
The leak I had didn't manifest itself for a couple of years. It was a weld, so I surmise that a gap opened up after a sufficient amount of fatigue took affect.

Those coming up on the end of their warranty should pay very, very close attention to their interiors after heavy rains and carwashes so they can find the problem. Actually, I recommend everyone do this. If they can replicate the problem, it's not too hard to fix.

As for the larger issue, it does baffle me that they let these problems in Lincoln continue. Okay, the Ridgeline is not Honda's bread and butter, but the Pilot, the Odessey are money makers, and, to a lesser extent, so is the Passport. There isn't much reason to pay a lot for these vehicles if Honda's former reliability isn't there. You might as well move to a Toyota or a Mazda--or even GM or Ford product for that matter.

·
Administrator
15,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As for the larger issue, it does baffle me that they let these problems in Lincoln continue. Okay, the Ridgeline is not Honda's bread and butter, but the Pilot, the Odessey are money makers, and, to a lesser extent, so is the Passport. There isn't much reason to pay a lot for these vehicles if Honda's former reliability isn't there. You might as well move to a Toyota or a Mazda--or even GM or Ford product for that matter.
The unfortunate part is that while the Pilot, Odyssey, Passport, and every other Honda model for that matter has direct competition, the Ridgeline does not - there is no other unibody midsize pickup with a trunk and dual-action tailgate...period. So, you either get a Ridgeline and deal with the quality issues or sacrifice the core features that make the Ridgeline what it is buy buying one of the other midsize pickups. :|

1 - 20 of 211 Posts