Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
A while back they were advertising the heck out of the tailgate with a fold-down step - maybe Chevy, GM or both? - and every time it came on I'd think "That's all ya got? Not even a swinging gate?".

Most people have no idea about that or the hidden trunk. In 2011 when I met a couple guys at the golf course in my new-to-me 2007 RL they were stunned when I swung the tailgate open, opened the trunk and pulled my clubs out....nearly speechless.
I think even the people that DO know about the side-opening gate don't fully realize the benefits regarding access to the bed itself. It's a real back saver when loading/unloading heavy bags, pavers, etc.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I think even the people that DO know about the side-opening gate don't fully realize the benefits regarding access to the bed itself. It's a real back saver when loading/unloading heavy bags, pavers, etc.
This I will miss the most. I'm finding the seam for the trunk to be a PITA with cleaning out pine needles and dirt. It even gets caught in the weatherstripping which looks fragile. Since I never use the trunk, won't miss that.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
This I will miss the most. I'm finding the seam for the trunk to be a PITA with cleaning out pine needles and dirt. It even gets caught in the weatherstripping which looks fragile. Since I never use the trunk, won't miss that.
The real trouble I had with the G1 trunk was when part of the gasket came off due to mud & other debris caking in there, but it was easy to fix. Hasn't happened yet with the G2, though have had only one load of dirt so far.

Don't use it at all? Use mine constantly, mostly because of circumstances. We take care of the family lake cabin, an hour away, and so tools (etc.) that we tend to need both there & at home often stay in the trunk for periods of time....kind of a mobile storage unit.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The real trouble I had with the G1 trunk was when part of the gasket came off due to mud & other debris caking in there, but it was easy to fix. Hasn't happened yet with the G2, though have had only one load of dirt so far.

Don't use it at all? Use mine constantly, mostly because of circumstances. We take care of the family lake cabin, an hour away, and so tools (etc.) that we tend to need both there & at home often stay in the trunk for periods of time....kind of a mobile storage unit.
I have a backpack in there with emergency stuff but with the Tonneau and its darkness in there I've only used a handful of times. I'd prefer a deeper bed to stand up garbage cans or be able to slide a decent sized tote under the tonneau.. I mostly use other vehicles for grocery shopping etc. The RL is for the dump and HD but it isn't the all around vehicle that I hoped it would be. Original plan was to use it and the Accord and pass the Accord down to the kids. .Only have 22k on a 2017 so stuff like ride handling and MPG's not important. Bed a little short, rear passenger room a little short. So the dilemma is forego a bed, get an SUV and rent a truck on the few occasions that I need sheet goods or get a nice SUV and a minimal truck with a 6 foot bed. I always think if I go that route a 2WD V8 F-150 regular cab could be fun until the weather gets bad. I wish that was available in a Tundra as that would last for the days when I would still do home improvement. I consider 4WD in the full sizers useless compared to the RL. Back in the day I had a Mustang GT and a 2WD Ranger, a combo that worked well. Wouldn't work where I live now but I really miss the 6 foot bed.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I have a backpack in there with emergency stuff but with the Tonneau and its darkness in there I've only used a handful of times. I'd prefer a deeper bed to stand up garbage cans or be able to slide a decent sized tote under the tonneau.. I mostly use other vehicles for grocery shopping etc. The RL is for the dump and HD but it isn't the all around vehicle that I hoped it would be. Original plan was to use it and the Accord and pass the Accord down to the kids. .Only have 22k on a 2017 so stuff like ride handling and MPG's not important. Bed a little short, rear passenger room a little short. So the dilemma is forego a bed, get an SUV and rent a truck on the few occasions that I need sheet goods or get a nice SUV and a minimal truck with a 6 foot bed. I always think if I go that route a 2WD V8 F-150 regular cab could be fun until the weather gets bad. I wish that was available in a Tundra as that would last for the days when I would still do home improvement. I consider 4WD in the full sizers useless compared to the RL. Back in the day I had a Mustang GT and a 2WD Ranger, a combo that worked well. Wouldn't work where I live now but I really miss the 6 foot bed.
I agree on the bed and cab configuration. I'd be happy if they took a foot out of the cab and added it to the bed.

As far as the trunk gutter, I just keep it vacuumed out. My wife loves vacuum cleaners, so we have too many. Thusly, I relegated one of them to light-duty garage work, such as vacuuming the vehicles. Still use the shop vac for the heavyduty jobs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree on the bed and cab configuration. I'd be happy if they took a foot out of the cab and added it to the bed.

As far as the trunk gutter, I just keep it vacuumed out. My wife loves vacuum cleaners, so we have too many. Thusly, I relegated one of them to light-duty garage work, such as vacuuming the vehicles. Still use the shop vac for the heavyduty jobs.
I actually believe they got the right balance with the G2, little longer bed and little less cab right? As this is my only vehicle losing a foot in the cab would put it very crammed in the back seat. I guess the real disadvantage of having a unibody is you can't do multiple configurations so people can get the exact configuration they want (longer bed/more cab). Although I'm very happy with the configuration of the G2. I don't know about the bed extenders but would that make up for the short coming of the bed size? Or is it not the same thing as a closed tailgate.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I actually believe they got the right balance with the G2, little longer bed and little less cab right? As this is my only vehicle losing a foot in the cab would put it very crammed in the back seat. I guess the real disadvantage of having a unibody is you can't do multiple configurations so people can get the exact configuration they want (longer bed/more cab). Although I'm very happy with the configuration of the G2. I don't know about the bed extenders but would that make up for the short coming of the bed size? Or is it not the same thing as a closed tailgate.
Having made several compost and dump runs, a larger bed would be welcome (plus, I grew up around a lot of single cab long bed trucks, so my eye still kinda leans that way).

I don't know that I would see much benefit from the bed extender. If I have the tailgate open for longer items, I usually have them strapped down pretty good where the extebder is meaningless, or if I'm hauling something like dirt or gravel, again the extender doesn't offer much more room and would need a tarp to keep dirt/gravel in place.

I also use a cargo net occasionally. It hooks up nicely to the tie-downs in a rectangular bed configuration. It would be less than elegant with a bed extender.

I rarely have anybody besides the dog in the back seat, so I wouldn't miss that at all, but I understand that I am in the minority. I could go for a set of shelved storage bins back there in lieu of the seat.

Either way, it's not enough for me to lose sleep over! ;)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Yep, you and Honda got it right, I got it wrong. The transverse engine layout allows the RL to pick up a precious inch or two. From there I'm sure they went with the best combination to get the most legroom and bed length.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Having made several compost and dump runs, a larger bed would be welcome (plus, I grew up around a lot of single cab long bed trucks, so my eye still kinda leans that way).

I don't know that I would see much benefit from the bed extender. If I have the tailgate open for longer items, I usually have them strapped down pretty good where the extebder is meaningless, or if I'm hauling something like dirt or gravel, again the extender doesn't offer much more room and would need a tarp to keep dirt/gravel in place.

I also use a cargo net occasionally. It hooks up nicely to the tie-downs in a rectangular bed configuration. It would be less than elegant with a bed extender.

I rarely have anybody besides the dog in the back seat, so I wouldn't miss that at all, but I understand that I am in the minority. I could go for a set of shelved storage bins back there in lieu of the seat.

Either way, it's not enough for me to lose sleep over! ;)
Yea that makes complete sense. Wonder if you could modify the bed extender so it didn't have the gaps in it but guess some would still slip through the tailgate making it useless. Makes me wonder if that is why BoF is going to be around forever because of the need of different layouts of beds long/short/flat. But would be interesting to see if another option becomes available that is unibody from any others besides Hyundai.

Yep, you and Honda got it right, I got it wrong. The transverse engine layout allows the RL to pick up a precious inch or two. From there I'm sure they went with the best combination to get the most legroom and bed length.
Not really a right/wrong, just different need. I'm sure there are plenty out there that need more than the current bed setup. I wonder if it ever becomes more popular that you could see a different configuration. Might be too expensive to do 2 with a uni-body but who knows.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Yea that makes complete sense. Wonder if you could modify the bed extender so it didn't have the gaps in it but guess some would still slip through the tailgate making it useless. Makes me wonder if that is why BoF is going to be around forever because of the need of different layouts of beds long/short/flat. But would be interesting to see if another option becomes available that is unibody from any others besides Hyundai.

Not really a right/wrong, just different need. I'm sure there are plenty out there that need more than the current bed setup. I wonder if it ever becomes more popular that you could see a different configuration. Might be too expensive to do 2 with a uni-body but who knows.
According to @csimo, the G2 Ridgeline platform was designed to more easily accommodate different bed configurations.

This may not come into play, however, unless demand greatly increases for the Ridgeline and Honda responds with more manufacturing capability. Increased demand will be driven by a unique identity and adequate marketing, both of which the Ridgeline does not currently have.

201 - 210 of 210 Posts