Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've owned several Mazda products and all of them were excellent. I've always liked their driver focused engineering philosophy. Honda always marketed themselves as being practical and economical with a little more sportiness than Toyota. Mazda was unabashed in saying they wanted to make fun to drive cars. Lost in the shuffle was the fact that they have always made very good cars. The rotary powered cars always had issues, primarily with apex seals which were were more of a wear item. Mazda has even made models for other manufacturers and has sold other brands rebadged as Mazda's (remember the B series pickups and Navaho SUV?). The Ford Probe was mostly a Mazda.

Thankfully I never had to take any Mazda product I owned back to the dealer for anything, so I can't comment on their customer service. I beat my poor Miata worse than I've ever beaten any car in my life (you had to to make it go!). I bounced it off redline at every shift. But it never failed. No squeaks, no rattles, just ran as expected. I had a Millenia and a 626 that were equally a solid. My RX-7 did suffer apex seal failure, but I knew it was coming and what to look out for and traded it off before I had to replace them.

Best of luck with the CX-5. That will probably be my wife's next vehicle in a year or so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@zroger73 Glad you are sticking around, you've contributed so much to this forum. Like others have mentioned I don't blame you one bit with the experience you have had. This is my second Honda and riding off the great experience I had with my 2006 Accord (brother has now). I'm hoping I have the same experience with the 2019 BE but only time will tell (only 12K so far). I am thinking about the extended warranty which I never even thought of with my Accord. Look forward to hearing about your experience with the CX-5, my wife drives a Mazda 3 and treats it like crap and it keeps going :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So, you either get a Ridgeline and deal with the quality issues or sacrifice the core features that make the Ridgeline what it is buy buying one of the other midsize pickups. :|
Well, it has been over a year of ownership now without any quality issues what-so-ever, knock on wood keeping a positive attitude that they keep eluding us!

Bill

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Same thing happened with my Focus RS. I love the class of car, the AWD turbo hatch. Best drivetrain I have ever driven and I've driven many 6 figure cars. I've driven nothing faster in my life up a wet windy road. Handling was second to none. But I had one too many issues with mine. First it was an invasive factory recall (all of the 2017's and 2018's had the wrong headgasket mounted at the factory) which led to a new HG and a new head. Then it was an oil leak which turned out to be an oil supply line to the turbo. Then a month after that a transmission seal was leaking. I was on that forum, and there were far worse cars than mine, with many owners having to get all new motors, and a myriad of other issues including the PTU seals. I was going to buy the G2 Ridgeline anyway, as soon as the RS was paid off and I was most of the way there financially. But then I had an opportunity to get out of the RS for $3k less than I paid for it 2.5 years into ownership and made the decision to get the G2 Ridge prior to ADAS being on all of them so I took it.

This is what happens and can happen with any vehicle from any mfr. The RS's, a friend has one at work and hasn't had any issues outside the factory recall work. If anything with the Ridgeline it's an Alabama plant issue with consistency. But I totally understand. Once you have gone through with too many service visits and too many issues, you cut bait. I loved that car of mine but all be damned if I'm going to keep going back and back to the dealer to get x fixed, then y, then y again. It's too much and life is too short. Cut bait, and move on. Ford lost me too because when I bought the RS I was seriously weighing the GT350 instead but even as much as I love the Voodoo, I love AWD more because I get performance in our NTX floods and rains. In those conditions the GT350 turns into a Corolla. So looking forward to the new STI coming next year to add to the fleet.

Best of luck with the Madza. They are a tiny mfr. comparatively but imo, they are making drivers vehicles with a focus on handling and driving dynamics while others are focused on screens and gadgets. If I could get them to make a new AWD MS3 6spd, they'd have my money. Their interiors are also simple and stellar imo. Having the exact same service dept. to deal with both of your vehicles is also a massive benefit in customer service.

·
Administrator
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Same thing happened with my Focus RS. I love the class of car, the AWD turbo hatch. Best drivetrain I have ever driven and I've driven many 6 figure cars. I've driven nothing faster in my life up a wet windy road. Handling was second to none.
Years ago, my brother bought a new 2003 Focus ZX3. I remember that car being very fun to drive at the time. Even for a cheap economy car, it felt great and handled well. The steering and brakes felt precise and the interior materials and design were good for the class.

·
Super Moderator
5,209 Posts
@Zroger, have you adapted to the strange manual shift configuration of pushing the shifter forward for downshifting, rather than the normal forward motion for up shifting? Maybe they have changed that by now.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
For the first time in over a decade, I am no longer a Honda automobile owner. This evening, I traded my 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E for a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Signature.

What set this in motion was when the transmission in my 2019 Ridgeline failed at 14,000 miles. I provided a long list of other issues for the dealer to address while it was there. They fixed a few, dismissed some as "normal", and didn't fix some others.

Each of the 11 new Hondas I've purchased since 2006 has been more problematic than the last. I reached out to Honda and asked them to replace my 2019 lemon with a 2020. They refused. I later asked for them to pay for half of the trade difference. They refused again. I then asked what they were willing to offer to demonstrate their interest in retaining a loyal Honda customer. The robotically repeated "Honda will repair your vehicle per the terms and conditions of the warranty" from a script then stopped responding to my emails and phone calls.

I'll undoubtedly miss the utility of the Ridgeline, but I can't continue rewarding an automaker with declining quality who ignored my pleas for help.

I plan to remain active here. I still love the Ridgeline. I just didn't love MY last Ridgeline and I can't respect the company that made it because of the way they handled my case. This isn't the first time Honda slammed the door in my face - they did the same thing when the rear window spontaneously exploded in my 2007. My Ridgeline would have qualified for Texas Lemon Law based on the time spent being repaired, but the reality is that's a long, stressful process - it's easier just to move on. I got a fair trade value for the Ridgeline and employee pricing less rebates on the CX-5, so it didn't cost much to trade.

The Ridgeline has already been sold by a dealer in Dallas. I feel sorry for the next owner who will be faced with the problems it has and hope everything will be fixed under warranty to their satisfaction.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Never thought you would give up on Honda good luck with the new ride.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'll publish a more thorough review of the CX-5 and discuss the good and bad in the coming days after I have time to test more of the features. My initial impressions are mostly positive. It reminds me a lot of the 2019 RDX I had, but at $10,000 less. The best things about the CX-5 are invisible - it's clear Mazda's budget is biased towards how it drives and feels on the inside and less on exterior design and the latest electronics.
I can’t wait to read what your thoughts are on the CX-5. Wife wanted a Mazda a few years ago, but not having a dealer within a 30 mile radius, killed that deal. Having to take it for service, or warranty work with having to travel and the dealer wasn’t really highly rated meant a lot. I can do most of the work, but at some point she might have needed to take care of it if I was at work, which she wasn’t comfortable with. They won’t bull💩me on something that needs repaired. Hope you enjoy your new ride and your experience with the Miata have stirred my desire for a sports car, not that I could get in or out of it easily. ENJOY,

·
Administrator
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@Zroger, have you adapted to the strange manual shift configuration of pushing the shifter forward for downshifting, rather than the normal forward motion for up shifting? Maybe they have changed that by now.
I noticed that, but fortunately Mazda added paddle shifters for 2020 so I just use those.

What does the CX-5 have in common with the Honda Ridgeline, it appears that they would accomplish totally different missions?

Bill
Both the Ridgeline and CX-5 transport me to and from work five days a week. They both carry home weekly groceries and supplies. They both transport up to four people on weekend outings. They both haul boxes and bags of recyclables. I've never used the trailer hitches on any of the five Ridgeline I owned over a 14-year period. The first and last thing I towed was a U-Haul trailer with a Ford Ranger somewhere around 1997.

What the CX-5 won't do for me is haul doors, dimensional lumbar, motorcycles, conduit, pipe, mattresses/beds, or large furniture - all things I've done at least once over a 14-year period in my Ridgelines.

I never tow or go off-road and rarely haul anything. I have access to five trucks between friends and family members. I prefer having a truck so that I don't have to wait for delivery or rely on others when I decided to purchase something that won't fit in an SUV - I like that independence.

For me, the Ridgeline is the one vehicle that meets all of my needs and wants when it comes to moving people and things. I just couldn't stand my 2019 any longer. I wanted to start over with another Ridgeline and expected Honda to contribute something toward that trade, but they refused any and all assistance. I refuse to reward Honda with another sale because of their defective product and continued lack of assistance.

I'll likely be in another truck at some point, but I'm unlikely to buy a new Ridgeline unless Honda provides a special financial incentive and/or I see evidence of improved quality that makes me feel better about owning another Honda.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've always felt Mazda was one of the few that got the up/down shifting motion right. My brain just says that up to downshift and down to upshift is right. Maybe from having driven manual cars is where the preference comes from. In a manual, 1st to 2nd is down to upshift, same with 3 to 4 and 5 to6. Also, every car I've driven with addle shifters, upshift is always on the right and down is on the left, which makes sense from a relationship to the shifter standpoint. Pushing a shifter forward to upshift just "feels" weird to me.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,568 Posts
Well, I'll join the many in wishing you lots of happy smiles with the CX-5 @zroger73, and also thanking you for sticking around ROC with your incredible depth of so willingly shared information about our RLs.

Vehicle selection / ownership is a highly personal matter .... ya gotta do what ya gotta do for yourself :)

BTW, that sales manager linking you to auto-blogging is no big surprise .... your name and location entered in Google yields your TAWA Profile as the first hit, at least for me. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,209 Posts
Both the Ridgeline and CX-5 transport me to and from work five days a week. They both carry home weekly groceries and supplies. I've never used the trailer hitches on any of the five Ridgeline I owned over a 14-year period. The first and last thing I towed was a U-Haul trailer with a Ford Ranger somewhere around 1997.

I never tow or go off-road and rarely haul anything. I have access to five trucks between friends and family members. I prefer having a truck so that I don't have to wait for delivery or rely on others when I decided to purchase something that won't fit in an SUV - I like that independence.
You just described exactly, my 8 years with the RL, probably most other RL owners, and maybe even most "truck" owners.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,020 Posts
Simply put, for many buying a truck is a want rather than a need. If you are going to buy a truck even though you don't really need one, then buying one that makes the least amount of compromises to its primary role as a daily driver is a somewhat smart move.

The problem for the Ridge is that it lacks much of the truck aesthetic to satisfy the "want."

Honda's slogan should be : "Ridgeline, the best truck for people who don't really need one."

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Honda's slogan should be : "Ridgeline, the best truck for people who don't really need one."
Our Ridgeline satisfies our yen for a modern day El Camino perfectly! Actually, in several ways it surpasses it! ;)

But, to keep with the theme of this thread, I do not believe that it was what zroger73 was actually seeking.

Bill

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,568 Posts
Won't argue that's probably a great sales approach, and I agree with your point about many buyers, but The RL is also a great truck for those who do need one of the size and capacities for which it's rated.

I'm in that latter group, my RL definitely sees use as a truck, hauling stuff in the open bed that can't go in an SUV of any size, and using it regularly to tow trailers (utility and RV) that fit within its rated capacity. The swell thing is, it also makes a fantastic non-trucking people-moving daily driver. (y)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Simply put, for many buying a truck is a want rather than a need. If you are going to buy a truck even though you don't really need one, then buying one that makes the least amount of compromises to its primary role as a daily driver is a somewhat smart move.

The problem for the Ridge is that it lacks much of the truck aesthetic to satisfy the "want."

For me it's "Ridgeline, when you really want a truck but not a giant thing that's pretty much only a truck."

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,020 Posts
I'm in that latter group, my RL definitely sees use as a truck, hauling stuff in the open bed that can't go in an SUV of any size, and using it regularly to tow trailers (utility and RV) that fit within its rated capacity. The swell thing is, it also makes a fantastic non-trucking people-moving daily driver. (y)
Yes I am well aware. I have used a Ridgeline since 2005 to move tools and supplies as well as my family. There is no other vehicle out there that meets MY needs quite as well.

That said, if you don't really need a truck there are multitude of options out there that would cost less, handle better, have more passenger space and ammenities, get better fuel economy etc etc. The Pilot ranks close to last in it class now yet the Ridgeline tops the midsize truck market in the same areas (handling, ride quality, fuel economy etc) even though it certainly isn't any better (worse in fact) at those things. The bar for trucks in these kinds of dynamics is pretty low.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts