Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 210 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
@zroger73, now you and @csimo can get together and share Honda horror stories. I hope it's just a short story and not a series.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I spent a couple hours giving the CX-5 a proper detail and inspection this evening and am happy to report that I can't find a single defect anywhere. Everything is attached properly. Panel gaps are tight and consistent. There are no scratches, dents, chips, rips, tears, or scuff marks anywhere. Everything operates as advertised. The paint has the lowest amount of orange peel this side of a custom paint job. I can't find any runs, dirt, fisheyes, or other defects. The wheels look nice, but their complicated, "twisted spoke" design is a nightmare to clean. This is the type of new vehicle experience that I used to enjoy with Honda.
Geez, was that thing built in Japan??

I sure hope Honda is back to a similar level of quality when I'm ready to buy again. Took a while to get the wife to leave GM and go to Honda (some untimely and numerous breakdowns on her Trailblazer helped convince her), and she is now a Honda fan. Will take some doing to get her to go to another brand, but Honda may do that themselves if they don't straighten up soon...

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts

I sure hope Honda is back to a similar level of quality when I'm ready to buy again. Took a while to get the wife to leave GM and go to Honda (some untimely and numerous breakdowns on her Trailblazer helped convince her), and she is now a Honda fan. Will take some doing to get her to go to another brand, but Honda may do that themselves if they don't straighten up soon...
That explains it all. It does look like the CX-5 is made in Japan. Mazda is going into a joint venture with Toyota on a plant in Alabama, so @zroger73, bought his vehicle at precisely the right time. The automotive plants in Alabama need to get their act together.

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
@zroger73, now you and @csimo can get together and share Honda horror stories. I hope it's just a movie and not a series.
Eh... There was a time I would have taken out a full page ad in the newspaper, shoepolished "LEMON" all over my vehicle, and flew to Honda headquarters to throw burning crosses in their lawn. Instead, I'll just speak with my wallet. I won't discourage anyone from buying a Honda, but I can no longer include phrases such as "well assembled", "trouble free", "attention to detail", and "customer focused" with a clear conscience when sharing my experiences with their automobiles. For the first time, I am compelled to strongly recommend that anyone buying a new Honda also buy the longest Honda Care plan available, hope for the best, and expect more repairs.

I really like the Ridgeline, Accord, Civic, and HR-V and strongly feel that they are at the top of the list when it comes to certain aspects such as ride, features, value, efficiency, resale value, handling, performance, and packaging. Unfortunately, consistency, quality, reliability, and their dealer network are issues that are going to push other loyal Honda owners to other brands - even if that involves sacrifices.

Every vehicle has compromises, but for a while Honda had the least number of them. The Ridgeline, in particular, stands out as not only Honda's, but one of the industry's most unique and useful automobiles. I hate that I didn't have a reliable one and that Honda didn't care. I have surrendered some utility by getting rid of it, but I couldn't live with it any longer and I refused to give Honda $40,000 of my money for yet another chance at winning the lottery.

Yes. Like all Mazdas sold in North America except for the Mazda3, it was built in Hiroshima with 90% Japanese parts content. The Mazda3 is hecho en Mexico.

Most Hondas sold in North America are now made in the US followed by Canada, Mexico, and Japan.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
A lovely car, but for those darned vintage US federal bumpers (the Spider does manage them better than many others of the era).

Nice toy you've got there! :)

(and doubtless one of the many cars serving as inspiration for the original Miata development team)
You're right - they made some sleek, agile sports cars look like Coney Island dodge-ems; the Triumph Spitfire comes to mind - but Alfa pulled it off pretty smoothly on the Spider. Dog 2C's certainly proves that....beautiful machine!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
83 Posts
That explains it all. It does look like the CX-5 is made in Japan. Mazda is going into a joint venture with Toyota on a plant in Alabama, so @zroger73, bought his vehicle at precisely the right time. The automotive plants in Alabama need to get their act together.
One of my honest concerns when I bought my Ridgeline was that it was made in Alabama. Here is a scorecard from US News ranking Alabama among the rest of the states. In the overall ranking, Alabama barely beats Louisiana for last place. These numbers, as well as being a Right to Work state, do not add up to great confidence in quality.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
One of my honest concerns when I bought my Ridgeline was that it was made in Alabama. Here is a scorecard from US News ranking Alabama among the rest of the states. In the overall ranking, Alabama barely beats Louisiana for last place. These numbers, as well as being a Right to Work state, do not add up to great confidence in quality. View attachment 402445
Yes, but I'm from Kentucky, and the national media thinks everyone here is toothless, inbred and stupid too - and several people I know are most demonstrably not - but millions are happy with their Camrys that are made an hour from me, the Accords an hour and a half north, the Subarus a little northwest, and so on. I don't know if the Honda Alabama plant is doing a great job, but quality can occur anywhere via a well-assembled/managed team, as can sloppy work. My point is to take such reports with the proverbial "grain of salt".

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
Yes, quality is really a statement of the parent companies desire to make it better. Such as in China where they put extra quality people on the manufacturing line at each station assembly to "oversee" the quality into the product. If not then you end up with typical chinese quality like on our chinese made Jinma - FarmPro (branding in USA) tractor which has both metric and english bolts (supposed to be metric) and if you try one socket in metric and it doesn't fit you try one in english and of course it works. All of the bolts that hold it together are like that. No quality just "cheapo". The rest of the manufactured tractor is the same way. As long as you are good with that it's ok. But, it's what you get with low quality low price.

Steve

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, but I'm from Kentucky, and the national media thinks everyone here is toothless, inbred and stupid too - and several people I know are most demonstrably not - but millions are happy with their Camrys that are made an hour from me, the Accords an hour and a half north, the Subarus a little northwest, and so on. I don't know if the Honda Alabama plant is doing a great job, but quality can occur anywhere via a well-assembled/managed team, as can sloppy work. My point is to take such reports with the proverbial "grain of salt".
I have lived the South over 30 years ago (North Carolina now, and 20 years in Georgia before that) and I was afraid my post would strike a sensitive nerve with some folks. Sorry! Of course, you are correct that not everyone in the South is "toothless, inbred, and stupid, too." There are many bright, intelligent folks to be found here as well. I hope I am one! I have no argument with your "grain of salt" comment, either.

I never looked up the state by state ratings until today; my reservations were based on my own experience, observations, and opinions. I did, in the end, purchase a Ridgeline. Happy that I did, and I hope it remains trouble-free as Honda's reputation persuaded me it would be.

With that said, I don't believe the numbers are simply based on stereotypes, but based on a set of measurable standards (how ever subjective) they set up for comparison. I am sure there are dozens of such studies, but doubtful there is enough variation to matter. It saddens me that any state would rate so poorly in so many of these categories.

While not impossible, it is just my opinion that it is more difficult to produce high quality and a good work ethic with poor education, poor healthcare, high crime, and poverty. No one in the "wealthiest country in the world" should be reduced to living in those conditions in the first place. I am old enough to remember when 'made in Japan' generally meant cheap junk, but things seem to have reversed in a lot of people's minds, as in the earlier comments in this thread.

I'll stop now before I offend someone else. It is unintended if I have done so. I don't always express myself as well as I'd like.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have lived the South over 30 years ago (North Carolina now, and 20 years in Georgia before that) and I was afraid my post would strike a sensitive nerve with some folks. Sorry! Of course, you are correct that not everyone in the South is "toothless, inbred, and stupid, too." There are many bright, intelligent folks to be found here as well. I hope I am one! I have no argument with your "grain of salt" comment, either.

I never looked up the state by state ratings until today; my reservations were based on my own experience, observations, and opinions. I did, in the end, purchase a Ridgeline. Happy that I did, and I hope it remains trouble-free as Honda's reputation persuaded me it would be.

With that said, I don't believe the numbers are simply based on stereotypes, but based on a set of measurable standards (how ever subjective) they set up for comparison. I am sure there are dozens of such studies, but doubtful there is enough variation to matter. It saddens me that any state would rate so poorly in so many of these categories.

While not impossible, it is just my opinion that it is more difficult to produce high quality and a good work ethic with poor education, poor healthcare, high crime, and poverty. No one in the "wealthiest country in the world" should be reduced to living in those conditions in the first place. I am old enough to remember when 'made in Japan' generally meant cheap junk, but things seem to have reversed in a lot of people's minds, as in the earlier comments in this thread.

I'll stop now before I offend someone else. It is unintended if I have done so. I don't always express myself as well as I'd like.
You haven't offended me, but the mainstream media sometimes does - that's why I don't pay much attention to it.

The source for such information seems more important than the info itself. That said, it's tough to know what source to believe.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I don't think the Honda lack of quality really has anything to do with the people assembling the vehicles, but has to do more with the seemingly new Honda culture of accepting mediocrity. Many of the things about the Ridgeline that remain a disappointment are put together by robots.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,133 Posts
You haven't offended me, but the mainstream media sometimes does - that's why I don't pay much attention to it.

The source for such information seems more important than the info itself. That said, it's tough to know what source to believe.
For me its the ridiculous nonsense that media is obliged to report (becuase it is actually happening) that I find offensive. I try not to pay attention because it is too depressing. . . .Perhaps we should choose not to share politically charged commentary here?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
For me its the ridiculous nonsense that media is obliged to report (becuase it is actually happening) that I find offensive. I try not to pay attention because it is too depressing. . . .Perhaps we should choose not to share politically charged commentary here?
Not a political statement, per se; just a suggestion not to discriminate based on location.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think the Honda lack of quality really has anything to do with the people assembling the vehicles, but has to do more with the seemingly new Honda culture of accepting mediocrity. Many of the things about the Ridgeline that remain a disappointment are put together by robots.
Yep!!

Modern manufacturing is mostly robots and laser measurements. Line workers perform installation tasks guided by computer. For example, they may bolt on a wheel, but a computer controls the torque applied to the lug nuts. All the human does is put the wrench on the wheel and hit a button.

Really don't understand the hate for the South. I am a Tennessee resident and have lived in Kentucky and Alabama. I've also traveled all over the US and other countries. I have never met nicer, harder working people than in the Southern United States. Yes, it's true, many are poor. Many don't have a great education. But the same could be said for urban areas up North too.

Being poor and uneducated doesn't make you a bad worker. Bad managers, bad processes, and bad quality control is what makes bad products. The guys getting paid $30,000 a year aren't the problem....it's the guys making $3M a year that's the problem.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
459 Posts
I agree. I live in Mississippi and only a couple hours from the Alabama plant. I actually know people that work there. Most are in the paint quality dept.

Thing I have the most questions about is the leaky seam seals. I’d love to know if this process has been changed to robotic application or if the process is different at the AL plant. Cuz it sux!
too many pilots and RL w leaks. No excuse for something so simple.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Getting back to the original post.

I am sickened by the way you were treated by the dealership and by Honda.

It would appear that Honda is NOT interested in product loyalty, especially WHEN involving someone who has been a very loyal product supporter for so long. Not to mention, someone who is widely accepted on an enthusiast group such as ROC and a “Go To Guy” on the boards.

I’m disappointed, and believe Honda in this case to have been penny wise and pound foolish.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us over the years. You have never lead me in the wrong direction & helped me decide on getting a RL (now about two weeks shy of a year ago.)

I do hope you enjoy your new wheels, & look forward to your continued posts.

Thanks zeoger73

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do the Canadian-built Ridgelines have the same issues with leaks, bad welds, exploding windows, transmissions failing, etc?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Do the Canadian-built Ridgelines have the same issues with leaks, bad welds, exploding windows, transmissions failing, etc?
Canadian RL's come from the same Plant in Alabama. The welds on the door frames are sometimes high and not ground down creating a water issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, but I'm from Kentucky, and the national media thinks everyone here is toothless, inbred and stupid too - and several people I know are most demonstrably not - but millions are happy with their Camrys that are made an hour from me, the Accords an hour and a half north, the Subarus a little northwest, and so on.
Ok, I'm gonna have to stop you right there, bluegrass. Accords are made in Indiana, and so are Subarus. Camry's are made just north of Lexington, and that's barely Kentucky.

Hoosier quality for the win! :cool:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Clearly, the build quality of my RL is the worst of any Honda I've had and the others were excellent. I did see a cheapening of the materials used over the years but not in their assembly. It fell off with the RL. Seams line up on the door but not on the plastic, fuel door has high spots, fenders don't align with plastic. High spots on door welds, goes on and on. Not fair to blame it on geography or people, blame it on the management. The build quality of my 99 Taurus was just as good as Japan built Hondas. Also, lets not confuse design and engineering issues with assembly issues, that's another set of issues which the RL has as well. Factor in dealer B/S and there you have it, a recipe for a lost customer. It used to be brakes, fluid, gas drive 100k and get excited about getting another Honda. Now it's intermittents that a dealer can explain away or dismiss as normal. I'll tell you who is getting dismissed next.

61 - 80 of 210 Posts