Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 210 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
What is disgusting is that Roger was treated so poorly at the dealer level. For a vehicle under a manufacturer warranty no less. I had a similar experience with our Cadillac SRX under warranty. I asked them to replace the leaky Front halogen headlight on the drivers side. I noticed water intrusion and it would go away after it was in our heated garage. As soon as you'd drive it out in the rain it would come back immediately. When i told them about replacing it they just blew me off and said that was normal. I said no the other side doesn't do this. But, I couldn't get them to replace it. Fast forward to this year and I get a letter in the mail from Cadillac saying, yep guess what ??!! The headlights are a problem and we will "goodwill" warranty the replacement of them if they leak ! Hell, yeah ! And the best part is I had it replaced last fall after 3 years of looking at that water condensation in there. $500 for that headlight for r/r by my local mechanic garage at our inspection time along with some other minor repairs. (leaky flex pipe in the exhaust too) So, things at dealers should be better but they just don't give a rats ass IMO. Even on a PREMIUM LUXURY vehicle they still provide service like it's a CHEVY ! lol

Steve who complained to everyone in the world about those leaky headlights and heck you should see all the other people who've had them. Just look at one in the parking lots you are at. They all leak. And the light output from the halogens (base, luxury models) is just horrendous! I put HIDS from Diode Dynamics in ours to improve them and it's been great for heading into 4 years use now.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,264 Posts
Do the Canadian-built Ridgelines have the same issues with leaks, bad welds, exploding windows, transmissions failing, etc?
Yes. My 2008 Ridgeline built in Alliston, ONT had a water leak due to improper factory sealant application at the factory. I had Honda look at it during warranty but they couldn't find the leak. Later on, I paid the local Honda shop to pull the right front fender and look again. This time they found and fixed the problem.

I should have pressed it while still under warranty. But it only seemed to show up under heavy rain and that wasn't a very common scenario. Later on it became worse and I got aggravated enough to pay to have it fixed.

Now if I could just find the leak in the trunk on my Hyundai Genesis Coupe, I would be a happy camper!

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna have to stop you right there, bluegrass. Accords are made in Indiana, and so are Subarus. Camry's are made just north of Lexington, and that's barely Kentucky.

Hoosier quality for the win! :cool:
Good catch. I live in Northern Kentucky (KY, OH, IN "Tristate" area) and rattled off those regional plants, but should've specified that just the Georgetown Camry plant is in Kentucky. I was a little irritated and spoke out of regional pride, but should've taken care to be accurate - a mistake.

Georgetown is about 70 miles into Kentucky, and the whole state is only 190 something miles top to bottom on I-75. Georgetown is where the Kentucky Horse Park is located, and they do have southern accents there :).

Honda has been building cars in Marysville, Ohio since the early '80s, but maybe it's something besides Accords there by now. Is the Honda plant in Indiana you're referring to the one on I-71 between Cincy & Indy? Been past that one a lot of times, and also a Subaru plant on I-65. Toyota's North American Manufacturing headquarters was 15 minutes from me until recently, when they incorporated it into that giant new facility just outside Dallas (Plano), Texas.

Where do yo live? Our son lives in Indy - a great place.

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
Just to be clear guys, I was the first one on this forum to sell my Ridgeline and move on to a CX-5. The seasoned members on this forum already know this story. It was in 2012, when gas prices were going up. I was looking forward to a more fuel efficient alternative for the RL.

I went to the Hyundai dealer because my neighbor was talking up his Santa Fe. I just did not like the Santa Fe styling at the time, so the sales rep brought over this Mazda. I was smitten enough by the 2012 CX-5, that I purchased it and left my trusty 2008 Ridgeline at the Hyundai dealer.

It only took me 12 hours to regret that decision, so I went back the next day and unwound the deal. That particular AutoNation dealership had a 3-day/250 mile satisfaction guarantee. I had my Ridgeline back. I literally walked over to the Honda dealer (same parking lot) and purchased a 2012 CRV. Honda offered me the same amount for the RL trade as the Hyundai dealership did. It was a nice vehicle, but my wife never liked it.

That's the short version, but in the next two years I purchased several other vehicles; 2012 Toyota Tundra (too big), 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (caused back pain), 2014 Toyota Highlander (had major surgery in hospital for 17 days), and finally my present 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Funny how things come back around.

·
Administrator
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I would not have considered a CX-5 until Mazda added the 2.5T engine and two higher trims levels (Grand Touring Reserve and Signature) for 2019. Prior to those additions, I would have chosen a CR-V. The 2019+ CX-5 Signature steps on the toes of the Acura RDX Advance.

I traded a 2007 Ridgeline for a 2008 G35, a 2014 Ridgeline for a CR-V, and a 2017 Ridgeline for an RDX. The first time, I bought a used truck as a second vehicle. The last two times, I returned to a Ridgeline within a few months.

In the past, I left the Ridgeline because of personal choices and not because of quality or attitude. This is the first time I've left Honda because of quality and attitude which is why I'll need to see a major change in the Ridgeline and Honda before I return.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Yes, but I'm from Kentucky, and the national media thinks everyone here is toothless, inbred and stupid too - and several people I know are most demonstrably not - but millions are happy with their Camrys that are made an hour from me, the Accords an hour and a half north, the Subarus a little northwest, and so on. I don't know if the Honda Alabama plant is doing a great job, but quality can occur anywhere via a well-assembled/managed team, as can sloppy work. My point is to take such reports with the proverbial "grain of salt".
Don't forget Fix Or Repair Daily has two plants in Louisville (Super Duty and Escape)(and where they built most of the previous version Ranger - of which you can still see many driving around daily). And the Corvette is built in Bowling Green. Kentucky is one of the leading auto build and parts supplier states.

·
Registered
167 Posts
And in Tennessee we have the Nissan plant in Smyrna, the VW Plant in Chattanooga, and the GM plant in Spring Hill. Nissan also has an engine plant in Decherd, TN which also makes Mercedes engines if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Don't forget Fix Or Repair Daily has two plants in Louisville (Super Duty and Escape)(and where they built most of the previous version Ranger - of which you can still see many driving around daily). And the Corvette is built in Bowling Green. Kentucky is one of the leading auto build and parts supplier states.
Oops, I named plants that aren't in Kentucky and missed some that are! Thanks for adding those. How could I forget passing the Corvette Museum on I-65 by Bowling Green?

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
470 Posts
Honda then v. now:

On July 4, 2003, I purchased my 1st "new" vehicle..a Dodge Dakota, quad cab 4x4. Dealer allowed me to test drive the vehicle locally, but I was not allowed to go on the freeway. On the way home, I discovered a nasty steering wheel shimmy, driver's seat wasn't completely bolted down, and there was a thumping in the front end. Holiday weekend, dealer service was closed so I brought the truck to the shop where I had worked. I tightened the bolts for the drivers seat, tightened loose bolts on all four shocks, and basically completed my own delivery inspection. The following week I brought the truck back for them to diag/repair the shimmy which ultimately, was never repaired. For the next few months, more issues cropped-up. HVAC and 4x4 worked intermittently and the seat belt chime would "ding" at random. Dealer could never replicate problem. After the 1st rain storm (followed by a sunny day) the truck became a steam bath because underneath the carpet was soaked. When I lifted the carpet I found a loose (now rusty) main ground. Once cleaned/tightened it fixed the intermittent electrical gremlins. Dodge had my truck for months (off and on) trying to locate the leaks, they couldn't (or wouldn't) fix them. Claimed to have tightened the heater box, replaced door seals (even though the headliner that sits higher than the doors was wet). Factory Rep. came out, I was told "it's a truck", "I'm being too picky", etc. etc. but each rain storm brought more water. Throughout this ordeal, I had incurred approx. $3k in rental car fees and ultimately hired an attorney. The truck was bought back as a "lemon" and I was reimbursed.

In 2001, my brother had purchased a new Odyssey. By 2004, the van had 100k miles. Planning our annual family snow trip, my brother took the van to his local Honda dealer for a service. He was advised that his transmission was making noise, it was a known issue and Honda would replace it, no cost. The next call from Honda was that there was some issue with the intake and EGR system, Honda would repair that per some campaign with again, no cost to him. He told the dealer about their vacation and asked if he could rent a vehicle. Dealer comped him a rental. My brother told the service advisor that he had purchased all of the parts (from that same dealer) to do the timing belt service. The advisor told him to bring the parts and they'd install them. In the end, my brother paid for the extra labor to complete the t-belt service and for the initial oil service.

While my brother was being treated like royalty by Honda, I was driving a self-pay rental F150 and dealing with a service department that kept trying to convince me that water is smart enough to defy the laws of gravity SMH!

My brother now has a CRV, Accord, and Pilot, and he still brings them all to that dealership for service.
Times have changed for Honda (and unfortunately all manufacturers) Loyal customers like Zroger73 and my brother are hard to find. Why push them away?

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
One of the "as lately seen" policies of Cadillac is that when your car is under warranty and needs service you get to drive another Cadillac "loaner" from them. They didn't used to do this but it started a few years ago. I've seen a number of people with 8 speed transmissions who drove that loaner Cadillac for a month or two while Cadillac figured out the issues and how to make them work better. (mostly solved) That's a nice perk IMO. And I drove two different ones. A XT5 and a SRX two different times.

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’ve been a loyal Honda owner for the better part of 15 years and have owned nine of their models - four Accords, two Pilots, one CR-V, one Ridgeline and one Civic. All great vehicles. With the exception of my 2017 Accord 6-6 coupe which I sold they’ve all been great. The dealer I bought them from has been exceptional from the sales and service perspective, sparing no expense and cutting no corners to service the vehicles. Much of this has to do with my relationship with the dealer. I’m gearing up to buy my daughter her first vehicle, which will be a Honda from the same dealer. Loyalty is a two way street.

I did stray from the brand with my Ram 2500 but that’s a different story. I do have a Honda ATV I often take to job sites in the Ram so that counts, right ... ;-)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good catch. I live in Northern Kentucky (KY, OH, IN "Tristate" area) and rattled off those regional plants, but should've specified that just the Georgetown Camry plant is in Kentucky. I was a little irritated and spoke out of regional pride, but should've taken care to be accurate - a mistake.

Georgetown is about 70 miles into Kentucky, and the whole state is only 190 something miles top to bottom on I-75. Georgetown is where the Kentucky Horse Park is located, and they do have southern accents there :).

Honda has been building cars in Marysville, Ohio since the early '80s, but maybe it's something besides Accords there by now. Is the Honda plant in Indiana you're referring to the one on I-71 between Cincy & Indy? Been past that one a lot of times, and also a Subaru plant on I-65. Toyota's North American Manufacturing headquarters was 15 minutes from me until recently, when they incorporated it into that giant new facility just outside Dallas (Plano), Texas.

Where do yo live? Our son lives in Indy - a great place.
The Honda plant is in Greensburg, IN, between Indy and Cincinnati off of I-74. I thought they built the Accord, but they don't. They build the Civic, CR-V and Insight hybrid. Nice area of the state, fairly rural and not too far from Indy. I live on the southeast side of Indy. Spent quite a few weekends in Somerset. That's the reason for the "barely" Kentucky joke. To me, it doesn't start looking much different than Indiana until you're south of Lexington. :)

I do love my 2017 Escape. To me, a better vehicle than the same year CR-V in all areas except for cargo volume.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Honda plant is in Greensburg, IN, between Indy and Cincinnati off of I-74. I thought they built the Accord, but they don't. They build the Civic, CR-V and Insight hybrid. Nice area of the state, fairly rural and not too far from Indy. I live on the southeast side of Indy. Spent quite a few weekends in Somerset. That's the reason for the "barely" Kentucky joke. To me, it doesn't start looking much different than Indiana until you're south of Lexington. :)
Good to know - wondered what they built there off I-74, having passed that one probably 100 times over the years. As noted, my son loves living in Indy. He got married in October at the Brown County Inn in Nashville, Indiana, where we had a heck of a great mini-destination celebration.

Guessing you're visiting Lake Cumberland in Somerset. Go there each Fall for a little family golf shindig at Woodson Bend.

You're not wrong about "barely" Kentucky. We're in the NKY suburbs of Cincinnati, and can be in Lexington in an hour without much hustle.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Looks like Acura is headed in the right direction:

Complete with double-wishbone suspension and turbo V6 goodness... and they'll release more info tomorrow. Note: TURBO V6 + 10AT + SH-AWD!

Let's hope their QA/QC can catch up and keep up, and then inspire the lowly Honda....

Hey, Honda, where's my Acura Ridgeline?!?

·
Administrator
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Looks like Acura is headed in the right direction:

Complete with double-wishbone suspension and turbo V6 goodness... and they'll release more info tomorrow. Note: TURBO V6 + 10AT + SH-AWD!

Let's hope their QA/QC can catch up and keep up, and then inspire the lowly Honda....

Hey, Honda, where's my Acura Ridgeline?!?
Acura better watch out for the forthcoming Mazda 6. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the first time in over a decade, I am no longer a Honda automobile owner. This evening, I traded my 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E for a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Signature.

What set this in motion was when the transmission in my 2019 Ridgeline failed at 14,000 miles. I provided a long list of other issues for the dealer to address while it was there. They fixed a few, dismissed some as "normal", and didn't fix some others.

Each of the 11 new Hondas I've purchased since 2006 has been more problematic than the last. I reached out to Honda and asked them to replace my 2019 lemon with a 2020. They refused. I later asked for them to pay for half of the trade difference. They refused again. I then asked what they were willing to offer to demonstrate their interest in retaining a loyal Honda customer. The robotically repeated "Honda will repair your vehicle per the terms and conditions of the warranty" from a script then stopped responding to my emails and phone calls.

I'll undoubtedly miss the utility of the Ridgeline, but I can't continue rewarding an automaker with declining quality who ignored my pleas for help.

I plan to remain active here. I still love the Ridgeline. I just didn't love MY last Ridgeline and I can't respect the company that made it because of the way they handled my case. This isn't the first time Honda slammed the door in my face - they did the same thing when the rear window spontaneously exploded in my 2007. My Ridgeline would have qualified for Texas Lemon Law based on the time spent being repaired, but the reality is that's a long, stressful process - it's easier just to move on. I got a fair trade value for the Ridgeline and employee pricing less rebates on the CX-5, so it didn't cost much to trade.

The Ridgeline has already been sold by a dealer in Dallas. I feel sorry for the next owner who will be faced with the problems it has and hope everything will be fixed under warranty to their satisfaction.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
The more I read, the more I’m glad I kept my 2011. It’s got 95 k on it and it’s no longer my daily driver so I’m keeping it as my utility/tow vehicle. Probably outlast me.

Don in Connecticut

·
Registered
'19 RTL-T
15 Posts
  • Congrats Zroger. Based upon your comments yesterday, looks like the delta was lowered to $700 within trigger range. Hondas used to be enjoyable to own and when you got the next one it was even better. Now it's just always a fight with the dealer and clearly Honda doesn't (at least in my case too) stand by its products. There is a world of difference between a car that runs as designed and car that goes down the road and operates but not to spec. In Honda's mind, if it goes down the road and is safe, it's not on them. How times have changed. Hope that the Mazdas do you well and you can flip them when you want to under your own terms. Honda has done you wrong big time and clearly they are a bottom line company that you gave many, many chances to make things right and when they did the help came at the dealer level, not the Honda level.
All I can say is the dealer you worked with must suck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
zroger73 I have been considering a Ridgeline for almost a year and have enjoyed reading your posts. My son at my suggestion purchased a CX5 in 2014 and I have driven it many miles. I made an road trip from Seattle where my daughter in law was finishing her Phd and drove the CX5 back to Texas making stops at every National Park possible. The car was loaded to the hilt and it never missed a beat. I drove it yesterday at nearly 100,000 miles and it is just as sound as it was in 2014. I think tires, battery, and other maintenance is all that it has needed. Now to my issue. My current truck is a 2003 Toyota Tundra. It has 110,000 miles and besides regular maintenance has had one shock replaced under warranty many years ago, a new radio with Car Play and rear camera, multiple batteries, tires and nothing else. It looks and drives seemly like new. It has scaled Colorado mountains, western deserts, rough roads in Big Bend, hauled dogs and no telling what else. I can't for the life of me figure out why I would get rid of it other than the safety features of the Ridgeline and improved ride. Enjoy the CX5, it is a great vehicle. Mazda service has been good also. Think I'll wait on the Honda.

81 - 100 of 210 Posts