Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody been on the brake, off it, then on it and when you get on the 2nd time etc, it feels stronger and a shorter distance to stop on the pedal? I am wondering if this is a problem or not.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That use to happen to me in my Suburban. I thought it was air in the line, pep boys said it was the brake booster. When I got it back it worked well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have same exact feeling in my rl. i second the question does anyone know if this is a problem??????????? i drive my new born in my rl so any help would be great. thanks.:bart::homer:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Does anyone have any real info about this issue????? Dusty if you are reading this im sure you can put me at ease.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
That is the effect that can be felt if the brake fluid has absorbed too much water from the air ( in Honda's the brakes are not sealed and can absorb water from the air - that is why Honda says to replace the brake fluid every 3 years ).

The other reason is air in the brake line and bleeding the brakes will fix that.

If you press and hold the brake pedal and it does not move - there is nothing wrong with the brakes - it is the brake fluid - either it has air or moisture in the brake fluid.

Air and moisture does compress which is why a second pedal seems stronger - you have compressed the air or water and got more brake fluid in the lines now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the effect that can be felt if the brake fluid has absorbed too much water from the air ( in Honda's the brakes are not sealed and can absorb water from the air - that is why Honda says to replace the brake fluid every 3 years ).

The other reason is air in the brake line and bleeding the brakes will fix that.

If you press and hold the brake pedal and it does not move - there is nothing wrong with the brakes - it is the brake fluid - either it has air or moisture in the brake fluid.

Air and moisture does compress which is why a second pedal seems stronger - you have compressed the air or water and got more brake fluid in the lines now.
I have 22000 miles on the truck. I have put that on in one year. Is there a certain mileage that I should have the fluid changed? I really think it is more of an air issue.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That's why I love this site! I have the same issue but I thought it was my imagination and I was worried because I had break issues and had to go back to the dealer 3 days after I bought it (new)! I have 33k on my 08 now and it started doing this when the weather got cold and we had that big snow in N Va just before Christmas. Plowing through all that snow must have gotten moisture in the fluid. So I guess it's time to get the dealer to do the break fluid thing on my next visit.;act028:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I've been experiencing this for about 6 months now. Glad to find out the remedy! Thanks to all..:act035:

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have an 07 just over 32,000mi. why dont they recommend changing fluid earlier so we dont have to deal with this. very unsetteling when you feel like your brakes are not working properly. well at least it has an easy enough fix i will get to it asap. is changing brake fluid easy to do at home or do i need to take rl into shop?:act060:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
It is not hard to do - remove as much fluid from the brake master cylinder and open a new bottle of dot 3 brake fluid and place upside down in the master cylinder. Wait for the air to go away (3-5 minutes) then bleed each wheel. - Best to use 3 smaller cans of dot -3 brake fluid than on big can - they will fit in the top of the cylinder and not fall over. You almost need a can for each side. Do not allow the master cylinder to run out of fluid or you will get air and have to start all over. Honda does not use or like dot-4 brake fluid - do not use - it absorbs moisture faster than dot-3.

You will need one of these two items to do it with.

This is what they use at my honda dealer and it is one man - you watch for the fluid to change color and then close it ( about a minute per wheel ) they do not use the master cylider adapter - they just put the dot-3 can in upside down. ( make sure the can is clean and free from dirt before opening ).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92924

If you want cheaper ( and messier ) ( someone has to pump the brakes for this )

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37201

edit - if it is air in the lines you do not need to remove the old brake fluid from the master cylinder - only if you are doing the brake fluid flush.

Autozone on bleeding you brakes http://corp.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/asp/ccr/ccr20011001bb.asp

And from how stuff works http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-repair/brake-bleeding.htm

·
Registered
442 Posts
Honda recommends every 3 years regardless of mileage. All my motorcycles stated every two years. Keep in mind that a 2007 might actually have been built in 2006 and is now over 3 years old even if it wasn't put into service until sometime in 2007.

Don't expect miracles. My Ridgeline has soft brakes for the first pump even though it has been thoroughly bled even with new pads and rotors.

I think it must have rubber brake lines that expand when used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts