Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of some level of Covid boredom, and a super comfortable test drive I traded in my 2019 RTL for a 2021 Nissan Titan Pro 4x last November.

I was offered a great trade-in value on my 2019.

To be clear, the 2021 Titan Pro 4x is really, really nice. It's build quality is great, might be a shade better than the Ridgeline actually. (little things) It's dead quiet, comfortable, great stereo, looks great (IMO), etc. I can't complain one Iota about the truck so far. I even like Nissan Connect service! Huge sunroof.

Maybe, just maybe the transmission isn't as smooth as the Ridgeline.

On the highway, it's quiet, smooth and comfy. Gas mileage, well it's not quite as advertised but not awful.

Around town... well I don't enjoy it. It's a big beast. I am in parking lots and garages a lot for work. With the snow, sure 4WD is fine. But the Honda AWD is better.

Things I absolutely miss from the Ridgeline though are it's it's handling in traffic and parking lots, it's incredibly smooth driving. I really miss the dual opening tailgate, the trunk (more than I thought), and the "plastic" bed. The gas mileage for sure.

My biggest "issues" with my second ridgeline (my first one had a massive water leak, but the dealer swapped units for me which was huge). Were that I had a white one but it had been produced during the white color change and some items on the roof of all places had both colors (there are 3 "plugs" of sorts on the roof).

Mine also had a "converted" lock system - that tailgate did have to be adjusted more than once. It would quit working in both directions. Also, the frame of the seat uses a metal that corrodes (look down under your seat where they attach and you will see some surface rust I suspect).

For what I need, I prefer the Ridgeline. Now with the new front end, I suspect I may go back to one. Though either a sport or a black edition (Just prefer the less chrome look). But I'm not sure.

I have equity in the Titan (due to the Ridgeline holding it's value so well, and my 4 runner prior to that doing the same), but I will take a loss if I trade it or sell it. Trying to decide what to do. I hate taking a loss, even if I have equity.

But, for anyone out there thinking of going full-size. It's a tough call. If you do a highway test drive, the full size is just way comfy.

But think about what you really need. Honda did a really good job with the packaging. That said, they need to make sure the QC is where it needs to be.

Just figured I would provide my experience with both. The Titan really is an awesome truck, just more than I need.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Titan sounds like it's a good truck, no reason to be in a hurry. Lots of people would love to have something so nice.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I came back to the RL (see sig) after selling my 2017. Some of the same reasons as you, especially in-town maneuverability. Missed it more than I thought I would, and glad to have my '19.

Reactions: RonC26

·
Registered
32 Posts
many posts talk about doing multiple trade-ins for “something better”. All I can think is how many thousands (if not 10s of thousands) of dollars are wasted on this practice, for what seem to be just minor / superficial upgrades. Do most Ridgeline owners here have that kind of money to burn ? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My father-in-law has criticized me at times for continuing to drive "old" vehicles instead of "trading up." His way of thinking is to trade in a vehicle every few years while it is worth something contrary to my getting everything I can out of the vehicle and then start over. Which way is the more correct.............................(shrugging my shoulders!)

(Actually in my my wife and my 62 years, we have only purchased two brand new automobiles and one "motorcycle."

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
My father-in-law has criticized me at times for continuing to drive "old" vehicles instead of "trading up." His way of thinking is to trade in a vehicle every few years while it is worth something contrary to my getting everything I can out of the vehicle and then start over. Which way is the more correct.............................(shrugging my shoulders!)

Bill
Whichever way makes you and your family happy is the correct way.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Bill
Whenever I think “oh, that would be a nice upgrade to have”, I just put together a quick spreadsheet and the added costs quickly make me lose interest in upgrading (i.e. insurance, taxes, trade-in losses).
Maybe it’s very different as a business write-off ?? I wouldn’t know about that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
In the past I put a lot of confidence in Consumer Reports, but not any more. It is all about pride in ownership, features that are wanted, ease of driving and lastly cost. Well into retirement, I now would rather trade near the end of the warranty because I like all of the technology but do not want to pay to fix it. My IRA will support trading every 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I‘d trust Consumer Reports.................................
I have found too many times recently where Consumer Reports may rate a product high, but then when you read actual customer comments they often times are not as supportive. The opposite has also been experienced where Consumer Reports has given a product a lower rating, but actual customer comments are more positive. So I have lost trust with Consumer Reports.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
301 Posts
My Two Yens worth--- You WILL come back to the Ridgeline Fold-- and SOON.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, I won't take a huge loss, and if that is the case. I'll keep driving the Titan. It's really nice, just more than I need. Was just throwing feedback out there for others FWIW as others go through buying decisions.

I was in a good equity position (I actually made money on my Ridgeline based on what I paid, as I had scored a killer deal on the closeout 2019's when then had 4k on the hood, and had traded a 4 runner in which also holds value great.)

Could give two rips about what USA today, and even consumer reports says as far as the quality etc go. I honestly put more stock into consumer reviews and feedback on edmunds, kbb and forums more than reviewers etc.

Have 2 friends with Titan's. They have had virtually no issues, they have 100k warranties and are built really well. QC seems really good. Have a friend with a recent RAM, it's in the shop constantly. Friend of mine has a 2 year old F150, it's not bad but it's "loose" in many ways IMO.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
A body on frame truck will just never handle on pavement as well as the Ridgeline.

a full size, the only need I see with one is if you need the towing capability. Thankfully I have no need to tow heavy loads. Full size trucks, go ahead and add 10k, 15k, or 20k to the purchase price as well as steeper depreciation. And they have just gotten so damn big. To me the Ridgeline is what a full sized truck used to be. The newer ones are land yachts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have found too many times recently where Consumer Reports may rate a product high, but then when you read actual customer comments they often times are not as supportive. The opposite has also been experienced where Consumer Reports has given a product a lower rating, but actual customer comments are more positive. So I have lost trust with Consumer Reports.

Bill
:oops: Oh, oh, Consumer Reports is rating the Ridgeline the best "compact" pick-up!

I test drove a 2019 Titan Pro-4X, and I thought it handled quite well, as did the Rams, actually, and it is SUPER comfy. It also looks real cool. However, it's a beast, and I just cannot see managing these vehicles comfortably in an urban environment. I found my 96 Ram to be a pain in Houston, and I was liberated moving to the Frontier. The RL was yet another revelation, as I find city roads way easier to handle, and it gives me the ride comfort and features you usually have to go to a full-sized truck to find, even then in the much higher cost trims.

Overall, the RL really is the best value truck out there, even if it is expensive for a mid-sized P/U. Reliability is improving, so I can't see steering anyone to another truck outside of heavy towing or difficult off-road conditions.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I only ended up with my 2008 Tundra because there was nothing mid sized worth having instead. The Tundra at the time was the best overall value and since my wife didn't like the Frontier at all that was basically the only good choice for us at the time. I don't care to go back to a full size simply because I don't need it.

I do think Nissan has some really good comfortable seats. Not sure when they started paying special attention to their seats, but I've never had a seat complaint in any recent Nissan I've driven or been a front seat passenger in over the last 8 years or so.

But as long as there is something Ridgeline like in the mid size segment I don't expect to ever go back to a full size truck. It seems overkill for what we need.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I actually test drove a Titan in 2008 when I was shopping to replace my GMC 2500. Ultimately, buying the G1 was a good choice given that it has served me well and the right size. A friend bought a Titan in 2007 and is still happy with it with very few issues. Being honest about the vehicle’s intended purpose for your situation is the best bet - the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have owned two full-size trucks in my 45 years of existence :) the first one was a 1989 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Sportside V8 when i was i highschool, and that truck took everything i threw at it, very reliable but it burned fuel like crazy. The most recent full-size truck was 2007 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 Diesel, great truck also, could tow our heaviest race car and still could put on the bed all the extras we needed like extra tires, fuel, tools, etc etc, while fitting five or six full size people in the cabin. Being a diesel engine it was somewhat economy friendly, the heavy-duty truck gave me the confidence to drive it hard while going offroad, the dowside was that the front was too heavy and the back was light, so in order to have a proper offroad experience i had to put some weight on the back to have a more comfortable ride. I sold the Ram and while i was looking for a good mid-size truck my dad told me he would sell me his RL at a great price, couldn´t pass the offer and i knew the RL didn´t have to many miles on it, so I bought the 2012 RL from my dad previously owned by my mom :) and i don´t regret it, great truck, like i said before i have driven other mid-sized trucks, Nissan, Ford, Toyota, and suv´s Suzuki, Toyota, Nissan, Jeep, Mitsubishi, and i got a say the RL it has the best of both worlds, it drives great on the city and highway, and if you want to take it offroad you have a very capable vehicle with the execption of going rock crawling :) I just wished they would sell the new RL here in Mexico.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, i would NOT buy any Nissan now. They are on verge of bankruptcy. Labor force being cut. Factories closing. Companies on verge of shutting down will cut quality control first thing to remain solvent. Cutting corners will be the norm.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts