Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you know what my problem is. Any solution, or just wait for it to go away?... It's been a couple days, and I have re-seated the cap, with plenty of clicks.

Any ideas?...

(And yes, I did do a search, but it doesn't like common terms like fuel and cap).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Halabar said:
Well, you know what my problem is. Any solution, or just wait for it to go away?... It's been a couple days, and I have re-seated the cap, with plenty of clicks.

Any ideas?...

(And yes, I did do a search, but it doesn't like common terms like fuel and cap).
It does take a few days (up to three) for it to go away after you multi click the gas cap. my wife's crv is the same way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My "Check Fuel Cap" warning came on a few days ago so I checked with this site to see what others were experiencing. I had always turned the fuel cap at least three clicks but after reading the posts, I applied some pressure to the cap and was able to tighten the cap about another 1/2 inch before it clicked. Today, the message is gone so that little extra must have made a difference. Thanks to all for the information on this site.

L

·
0 Posts
I spin that baby everytime I get gas and have never had an issue with that light. :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine came on over a week ago and would not go away. Had the truck setup for a oil change at the dealer and they said I had not put the Gas Cap on correctly but I always hear at least 3 clicks if not more, They first told me that it would take a few days to reset but then after picking it up they told me it would not reset and they would not chatge me this time for the reset but if it happened again they would.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Historically, the OBDII codes that trigger these indicators are not always real specific. Translation: it may not be the fuel cap. Have you recently purchased gas at a different station? I've never had this happen on our RL, but I have had it happen on my Tahoe. Fresh fuel fixed it up and the light went out after burning a quarter of the new gas. If you get the message again, I would fill from a fuel station that you know has good gas.

Don't know if this is the problem, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
578 Posts
SO in my case, it turns out it was a bad fuel cap. I had a spare Honda cap (OBDII cap) in the garage, swapped it out, and the indicator went out.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
shingles said:
SO in my case, it turns out it was a bad fuel cap. I had a spare Honda cap (OBDII cap) in the garage, swapped it out, and the indicator went out.
Normally I would ask why? But this time I will just say cool. I mean who keeps around a spare gas cap, and then thinks to use it?

·
Registered
578 Posts
captmiddy said:
Normally I would ask why? But this time I will just say cool. I mean who keeps around a spare gas cap, and then thinks to use it?
haha... long story short, place that my wife did her last inspection insisted that her fuel cap was bad (emissions testing). So we bought one. Well, turns out her original cap was fine, so we have a spare one.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Having been a GM mechanic for several years, the gas cap light is generally a loose gas cap. Not always but generally. It will clear itself out in about 24 ignition starts. Which is why in about a week it goes out. Or you could go to the dealer and they could plug in their scanner and clear it out in 3 minutes. I dont see how the dealer could charge you anything for this since emmisions has a 5year 50,000 mile warranty. After that tho, you are fair game.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
[FONT=Helvetica,Bold]From Honda Service News, provided by csimo[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica,Bold]CHECK FUEL CAP Message in Odometer Display or MID[/FONT]
NOTE: This article applies to ’05 Accords, ’05 CR-Vs, ’05 Elements, ’05 Odysseys, ’05 Pilots, and ’06 Ridgelines.
Got a vehicle on your shop with a [FONT=Helvetica,Bold]CHECK FUEL CAP [/FONT]message in the odometer display, or in some models, the MID? The ECM/PCM does several different EVAP system function tests. These tests require at least two failed tests (two trips) to turn on the MIL and set a permanent DTC. These tests detect EVAP system leaks like those caused by a loose or missing fuel fill cap. Due to this, we’ve added the [FONT=Helvetica,Bold]CHECK FUEL CAP [/FONT]message.
The [FONT=Helvetica,Bold]CHECK FUEL CAP [/FONT]message comes on when the EVAP monitor detects a leak the first time (one trip). The message goes off when the
EVAP monitor runs again. If the monitor didn’t detect a leak, the [FONT=Helvetica,Bold]CHECK FUEL CAP [/FONT]message goes off and the MIL stays off. If the monitor
detects a leak again, the [FONT=Helvetica,Bold]CHECK FUEL CAP [/FONT]message goes off, the MIL comes on, and a permanent DTC is set. If your customer brings the vehicle in with the [FONT=Helvetica,Bold]CHECK FUEL CAP [/FONT]message on, tighten the fuel fill cap, use the HDS to clear the temporary DTC to turn off the message, then do the EVAP system function test to make sure there’s no leak.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The info, the ODBII diagnostic code (DTC) is likely to be P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak). You can check the codes yourself if you have a generic reader such as the Equus.
I have one of these from use on my previous vehicle. It was very useful for diagnosing standard emission control malfunctions, and reseting the errors as suggested in the previous post but hopefully I won't have cause to use it on my RL for a long long time (at least 105,000 miles right?).

·
Registered
848 Posts
Put some butt grease on the seal...........

The light is telling you are leaking gas fumes into the air, OZONE baby !!:rolleyes:

WA snifs the gas caps on smog checks..........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts