Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So went to talk to a dealer, who I have decided will be getting my business when I go to buy. When talking to the guy, I immediately felt at home. He didn't try to BS me at all while we were talking. He said that when he was a "Gold" level salesman at another dealership Honda came to ask them about what they thought they should incorporate into the newest generation. Supposedly he brought up the point of having the drain plug in the trunk, and Honda ended up sending him a $1000 check for suggesting it. Anyways, when I was talking to him he did complain that he wished they had at least put in a manual sliding rear window in all models, and the lack of knobs on the upper trim stereos wasnt smart. He also thought the lack of a locking tailgate was a bad decision.

During our talks he also said for me to shop around online to find the best price for an extended warranty, then bring the quote to them. He said if they didn't match it, then to buy the warranty elsewhere, which I thought was a good bit of info, and which I planned to do before he even said it.

He also said that the best they would do price wise was $1000 off MSRP (including another discount for being a police officer), but he would sell me any additional equipment at cost to make up for it. I plan to get the tonneau cover for sure, and maybe the body side molding and mudflaps, but I'm not sure on the mudflaps.

He also said the color combo I wanted was in que to be made at the plant (didn't reserve it since the finances aren't set for me yet), and it was VIN ending in 123xx. So that is how many have been made thus far.

If anyone is in the Northern VA area, I urge you to check out Honda of Chantilly. I specifically talked to Dave Ellis. After being a car salesman a while ago, and now a police officer, I can see a BS'r from a mile away. This guy is legit, and the dealership is amazing. If anyone wants more details, PM me. BTW, he took me on a tour of the facility. The repair bay area is freakin gorgeous!

· Registered
353 Posts
I can just imagine the Gen-2 engineers sitting around a conference table for their morning meeting:

Someone is reading out the list of suggestions that their field teams have gathered. "We got a suggestion that the in-bed trunk should have a drain plug in the bottom. Any thoughts?"

"Wait! What? We don't have a drain plug in the trunk already...?" "Huh, I never noticed that." "Me, neither." "Was there ever one there?" "How could that be?" "Who was on the Gen-1 team?" "What were they thinking?" "Are any of them still here?" "Yeah, let's ask them what happened to the drain." "I can't believe they missed that."

"Well, alright, now let's move on to the next suggestion: a tailgate lock."

"A tailgate lock? Are you kidding?" "Hey! It's a pickup truck... with a big open bed... helloooo." "Ha, ha, ha." "Who thought that one up?" "Well... maybe a few Canadians would want it...?"

Hey, Border, after you get your truck, let us know how the final deal turned out for you.

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can just imagine the Gen-2 engineers sitting around a conference table for their morning meeting:

Someone is reading out the list of suggestions that their field teams have gathered. "We got a suggestion that the in-bed trunk should have a drain plug in the bottom. Any thoughts?"

"Wait! What? We don't have a drain plug in the trunk already...?" "Huh, I never noticed that." "Me, neither." "Was there ever one there?" "How could that be?" "Who was on the Gen-1 team?" "What were they thinking?" "Are any of them still here?" "Yeah, let's ask them what happened to the drain." "I can't believe they missed that."

"Well, alright, now let's move on to the next suggestion: a tailgate lock."

"A tailgate lock? Are you kidding?" "Hey! It's a pickup truck... with a big open bed... helloooo." "Ha, ha, ha." "Who thought that one up?" "Well... maybe a few Canadians would want it...?"

Hey, Border, after you get your truck, let us know how the final deal turned out for you.
Was kind of thinking that is how the meeting probably went too! HAHA! I will let you all know. This is the 2nd dealership I have ever actually felt comfortable buying a car from (and I have helped a F-ton of my friends buy their cars from various dealerships since i used to sell them). The first was where my wife got her Subaru from. I really cant say enough about them. If anyone heads up to that dealership to buy a Honda, contact that guy and tell him I sent ya (My real name should be in my profile). Figure saving a $125 at least on the BSM and another $300 or so on the Tonneau cover pretty much splits the difference between invoice and MSRP, so I think that is fair for a brand new truck.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
But there is a drain plug in the trunk of the Gen 1? I say, BS...

I'm oncall, so the company truck is here and the Gen 1 is at work, but I'll snap a pic on Monday....

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
Well, I bought in June 2005, and it's been there since day 1. I don't recall if the LA Auto Show version in Jan 2005, had one or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.