Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ran to Target earlier to get a couple things. Was there about 10 mins and while I was in the self checkout lane I hear the employee watching the lanes talking to another employee saying a guy had come in and told her "a Lexus hit a truck in the parking and drove off".

Sure enough, I was in the first spot in the parking lot in front of the store and I walked out to the rear bumper pushed in, body panel has a bend in it as well. Don't see anything with the tail light or tail gate at least. I talked to the security person and they were already searching the cameras and will save any footage for the police. Called the non emergency number to file a police report, but I need to meet them in the city it happened in (next one over), so I will get that done tomorrow. Hopefully they can get plate number from the cameras. Really sucks, but what can you do. On the bright side, the person called the RL a truck!

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E (Radiant Red), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,652 Posts
Man that sucks. Sorry about people being so irresponsible and the damage to your truck. Funny thing, I was just looking at the SuperBumper hitch mounted bumper protector for people that drive like this.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Sorry, it seems everywhere is a hornets nest these days. Hope they can get you in and order some parts to get the process rolling. If there is a backlog, you could have the adjuster come to your home, cut a check and order parts for a shop you use so by the time you get in, at least the parts will be there.

·
Registered
'07/'12/'17 Ridges sold to family/friend. Still see them regularly :)
195 Posts
Let me fix that title for you....
Sometimes people suck

PEOPLE SUCK

Unfortunately, you see if more often than not. Either way, sorry about the damage. Hopefully they catch the fool, give him/her a nice BIG fine and their insurance cancels them.

We all make mistakes. But, I hate people who don't take responsibility for their actions.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
187 Posts
This really stinks. Sorry that you have to deal with damage through no fault of your own. And the fact that the hit-and-runner left the scene like a coward is even more galling. People do suck.

I have to admit that I dealt with a similar parking lot damage scenario. In my case the person actually didn't suck. As I was approaching my vehicle, it was clear that somebody side swiped my front end, damaging the front bumper and causing much cosmetic damage. I was seething. And then I found a metal container that holds mints or breath fresheners placed under the driver's door. I opened the container and found a hand written apology note and contact info for the driver that accidentally hit my vehicle. She was a high school senior. I called her, and instead of raging, I immediately told her how impressed I was with her maturity and willingness to admit an honest mistake. I then spoke with her parents and I agreed to let them pay for the damage rather than go through the insurance process that would likely hike their teenager premiums. It all ended well. And my faith in humanity was temporarily restored.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Hopefully the police can do something for you. In my state a non injury parking lot/private property accident is not a criminal offense, just a civil one, so you would be on your own to deal with the issue. Good luck.
The non-injury property accident is probably civil but the hit & run might elevate it to a higher violation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The non-injury property accident is probably civil but the hit & run might elevate it to a higher violation.
That's the thing, here there is no such thing as hit and run on private property. For it to be a crime on private property you would have to show intent, which would then be a vandalism, either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the cost of the damage. The one notable exception to that here is Driving While Impaired.

Here if the police get called to a private property accident all they will do is file a miscellaneous report so a record of what allegedly occurred is on file.

·
Registered
22 Ridgeline Touring
121 Posts
Heart breaking. Guy probably didn't have insurance what planet are these kinds from
Is not having insurance, or enough, a really big problem in the states?? I just know that any friends/family that had this kind of issue that the insurance took care of them and then investigated the other driver.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,087 Posts
Is not having insurance, or enough, a really big problem in the states?? I just know that any friends/family that had this kind of issue that the insurance took care of them and then investigated the other driver.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Uninsured/Underinsured IS a big problem in some states, especially the poorer states.

·
Registered
'07/'12/'17 Ridges sold to family/friend. Still see them regularly :)
195 Posts
Most department store type parking lots are quasi-public. Police can enforce motor vehicle violations such as hit and run just like they can enforce illegally parking in a handicapped spot. They can also make arrests.

In most states, a hit and run is a simple motor vehicle violation. It is only enhanced if there is serious bodily injury and/or death. Intent is not a requirement for a motor vehicle violation. They are "strict-liability" offenses.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts