Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
About to go file the police report. Have to go back to the scene of the crime, then again I am there once a week usually anyway. What stinks is a guy witnessed it and went in an told the employee, but they didn't get a name/number or anything to see if he had a license plate number. I will wait and see what the police turn up and worst case I might post on nextdoor (wish me lots of luck if it comes to this!) to see if anyone by chance saw it.

Debating if this is good enough reason once its fixed to trade it in on a new one...:D

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
903 Posts
Debating if this is good enough reason once its fixed to trade it in on a new one...:D
It needs to be fixed before thinking about trade. See how you feel after the repair is complete. You may be quite satisfied with the work and there is no reason to worry about structural damage.

Insist the body shop does not report to Carfax to avoid any red flags.

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
536 Posts
While we think that most people suck, and they usually do. Let me tell you what I did. I went to a local establishment, parked in the parking lot, not normally where I do. Some A$$hole parked in the spot beside me. When I went to leave, I could not swing like I needed to due to the close proximity of vehicle parked beside me in a no parking area. I tried, but accidentally hit another vehicle. I procedead to remove myself from immediate area, but stopped a few minutes later and went back inside and asked who owned the vehicle I had backed into? I did not have the backup sensors and a tonneau cover had obstructed my rear view. No way the side mirrors could have seen his vehicle at all. Yes, I owned up to my mistake, made sure his vehicle was taken care of, as well as mine with the insurance company. I got some ribbing from some people about this, mostly from the A$$hole who had parked where he shouldn’t have! My reply at the time, was I owned up to my mistake, and made good about getting his vehicle fixed. While some people are A$$holes and SUCK, BIG TIME, not everyone is. The A$$hole who hit and left, was. We all make mistakes sometimes and we don’t know what is going on in other peoples lives or what they are going thru. Let the insurance take care of it and move on. You’ll fell better in the end. Just saying.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Yeah, once upon a time when my wife and I were dating, she backed into a 1st gen Honda Insight that was illegally parked in a parking lot against a curb that was a fire lane. It sucked, but we waited until they came out and her insurance paid. So I agree, everyone does not suck.

I filed the police report tonight, the officer said it would probably be mid next week before I hear back on what they have found. This is the only chance I have of finding out who did it and getting them to pay for it. I am convinced it will end up on carfax no matter what now. Not much I can do about that.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that perhaps it was an elderly person who backed out of a handicap spot, hit the truck without even knowing it and then took off. Whatever it was, hoping there is video that shows license plate and they have insurance.

Lastly, the trade it in thing is mostly in jest...I take great pride in keeping my vehicles clean and in excellent condition (as I am sure most on here do). I am sure I will be fine with it once I get it back. Also, partially mad because I just bought a Power Stop Z23 brake kit for it, but not going to put that on until I have it back at this point, which will obviously be weeks, if not months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I ran to Target earlier to get a couple things. Was there about 10 mins and while I was in the self checkout lane I hear the employee watching the lanes talking to another employee saying a guy had come in and told her "a Lexus hit a truck in the parking and drove off".

Sure enough, I was in the first spot in the parking lot in front of the store and I walked out to the rear bumper pushed in, body panel has a bend in it as well. Don't see anything with the tail light or tail gate at least. I talked to the security person and they were already searching the cameras and will save any footage for the police. Called the non emergency number to file a police report, but I need to meet them in the city it happened in (next one over), so I will get that done tomorrow. Hopefully they can get plate number from the cameras. Really sucks, but what can you do. On the bright side, the person called the RL a truck!

View attachment 424813
Darn...I own a Lexus and a Ridgeline.......that's a crappy thing to do Lexus driver ;(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, I ran to Target earlier to get a couple things. Was there about 10 mins and while I was in the self checkout lane I hear the employee watching the lanes talking to another employee saying a guy had come in and told her "a Lexus hit a truck in the parking and drove off".

Sure enough, I was in the first spot in the parking lot in front of the store and I walked out to the rear bumper pushed in, body panel has a bend in it as well. Don't see anything with the tail light or tail gate at least. I talked to the security person and they were already searching the cameras and will save any footage for the police. Called the non emergency number to file a police report, but I need to meet them in the city it happened in (next one over), so I will get that done tomorrow. Hopefully they can get plate number from the cameras. Really sucks, but what can you do. On the bright side, the person called the RL a truck!

View attachment 424813
Lesson learned. Park farther away, where there are less cars parking, pulling out, etc. The exercise is also good for you, and you leave the closer parking space for an ole' guy like me.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 424813
That really is sad when people drive off like that - hope you're able to track them down. Also annoying is how the bumper works - I caught a low concrete stanchion while backing up at 3 MPH and had the exact same thing - bumper bends the fender. New bumper cover, strap and fender repair $1800 - most of which is the fender work.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 424813
So it was worth it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I talked to the security person and they were already searching the cameras and will save any footage for the police.

View attachment 424813
If security person actually DOES this, you are lucky. Most often, private businesses will not bother to look for evidence of damage to a customer vehicle unless requested by police. Police would not normally ask for this unless there was a bodily injury to a person. It's just not a high priority for either the police or the business. File an insurance claim and move on with your life. Sometimes, life tosses you lemons.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

View attachment 424813
Need the "cry" emoji for the hit/skip and the "laugh" emoji for the "truck" comment.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Let me fix that title for you....
Sometimes people suck

PEOPLE SUCK

Unfortunately, you see if more often than not. Either way, sorry about the damage. Hopefully they catch the fool, give him/her a nice BIG fine and their insurance cancels them.

We all make mistakes. But, I hate people who don't take responsibility for their actions.
I think "some" is correct. Also there are some oblivious and/or impaired people who should no longer be driving. My own father in law - a super kind & smart man - was slow to get his cataracts removed, and (we learned later) drove on the sidewalk all the way around a chapel looking for a parking space.

·
Registered
7 Posts

View attachment 424813
Must be something about Targets. This happened to mine at a Target store. I was not responsible for any deductible.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 424813
Same thing happened to me a few years ago at a Sam’s club. The impact was clearly recorded but they were not able to see the license plate number. They did however prepare a disc to bring to the police for me with recordings from multiple cameras tracing the driver back into the store and to the checkout lane where they identified him by his club membership. Perhaps Target could trace the driver back into the store to a checkout and get an identity if a credit card was used. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
18 Posts

View attachment 424813
great attitude. sorry about your truck. I called it a truck too!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Must be something about Targets. This happened to mine at a Target store. I was not responsible for any deductible.
Wow, that is pretty much identical to how mine got hit. Same damage, too. Do you mind if I ask what it cost to have yours fixed?

And to everyone, thanks for the well wishes. I haven't heard back from the police yet, so I will give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts

View attachment 424813
Dirty buggers! Same exact thing happened to me 13 days after I flat-out bought my '19. Got home from the store and noticed it and figured it was from the car that was parked all cock-eyed at the store. I had parked far enough away from them, their window was down with a passenger in the car and I did mutter "effers better not hit me!" I palmed the black plastic back into place, no dents in metal but the paint is cracked on the edge below the tail light. I've never seen that car again. Luck is still on their side.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
Reactions: Pleease
21 - 40 of 53 Posts