Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,888 Posts
Is not having insurance, or enough, a really big problem in the states?? I just know that any friends/family that had this kind of issue that the insurance took care of them and then investigated the other driver.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
A couple of insurance agents in my area estimate that nearly 40% of drivers in Denver, DO NOT have auto insurance of any kind. That seems high, but I tend to believe it. If they cannot even get current plates (which everyone can see), then I am certain they don't care much about purchasing valid auto insurance.

• Wow
Reactions: Beaumontian

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
475 Posts
I pulled into a Walmart parking lot a few weeks ago, selected my usual lane to drive down and no spaces were available. As I approached the end, near the store, a guy in a SUV pulled in to my lane (against the flow of parking spaces) ⛔, so I had to move over for him to pass 😡.

I turned and drove down the adjacent lane and as I was entering an empty space, I saw him. A car had just left and he had attempted to pull into the vacated space, against the angled parking spaces. He was too close to the car on his left, so as he was backing up to readjust, he swiped the right rear quarter panel of the parked car 😲.

I parked, pretended not to notice and looked down at my phone, to see what he would do. He pulled forward, got out to look, then got back in and got something from his glove box. He appeared to be writing a note, then later appeared to make a phone call.

I discretely watched for a few minutes, then went into the store. I tried to watch to see if he would leave, or actually leave a note, but he was obscured by other vehicles. However, I did not see him leave, so I thought he may "do the right thing".

I wasn't in the store long, and when I returned to my truck, he was gone and he had left no note.

As I was looking for paper to write a note myself, the owner of the car he hit came out. I told her about it and offered my dashcam footage.

When I retrieved it for her, I noticed he had no front license plate (our state requires one). However, when viewing the rear camera view of him passing me, his rear plate was clearly visible.

I provided her with the footage, but as @Sparkland noted above, there are many without insurance and I would be surprised if our local police would even pursue the incident.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So ironically enough, as I was reading the responses to my own post, the detective finally called me back. Long story short, he closed the case before he did anything with it (he didn't even try to get the footage from Target) because I said I didn't want to press charges with the officer that came out to take the report. The officer who took the report never said that would happen and that I could rescind that later if I wanted to. I had specifically asked if I could take it back if we found out they didn't have insurance. He actually said I would get insurance info of the person regardless of signing that form and that the detective was supposed to call me last week, but the detective it was assigned to was off most of last week.

Again, I am pretty sure this was someone in a handicapped spot that backed into me and left. I figured if it was someone who didn't know they had done it, they didn't need a ticket on top of their insurance claim. Well, if it were not a long shot at this point, it is even longer now. Hoping that by some chance Target has video that you can see a plate on still saved almost 2 weeks later now...ugh, this really sucks. If I had known they would have just closed it, I would have not signed that form. :(

·
Administrator
22,414 Posts
I'm very confident you wouldn't be able to see a plate number on the surveillance video unless the vehicle drove through the foyer or checkout lane. You'd be lucky if you could identify the make, model, and color of the vehicle. Even 4K cameras (which most stores don't have) don't have enough resolution to resolve something as small as a license plate number from dozens or hundreds of feet away unless they have powerful zoom lenses and the operator actively panned, tilted, and zoomed onto the vehicle. These cameras are typically fixed and have wide fields of vision. They don't work in the real world the way they do in movies and TV shows. ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
They don't work in the real world the way they do in movies and TV shows.
Wait...I was under the impression they could zoom in and just type enhance quickly on an old mechanical keyboard a few times and everything would come into focus. :) I know it was a pipe dream to begin with, but even more so now.

In better news, I have a Viofo T130 ready to install now so the next time, I will be better prepared.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter Metallic
506 Posts
Sorry to hear - that really stinks. Ten years ago my I briefly parked my 2011 Accord Coupe (pictured) at a Target parking lot in a nice Chicago suburb (must be something about Target...). My story is almost identical to yours (quick shopping trip, security camera not high enough resolution, police case closed without action, etc.), except that my trunk was keyed 16" long, rather than hit. With modern clear coats it was the whole "we have to repaint the entire panel", which I just had my insurance take care of it.

As I get older (and the world is getting more dangerous), I've become more emotionally detached about low-lifes damaging my cars/boats/etc (though that's really hard for me....). I'm seeing too many road rage / assault videos, "defund the police" chaos, etc. - to confront someone directly (not worth it). I won a past litigation about negligence damage to a past vehicle of mine (can't disclose details due to NDA), but I don't think I'd do it again (it was too time & emotionally draining - I'd now just let insurance take care of it).

I've also since changed my parking lot behavior. I used to park waaayyy away from everyone. However, I think my bright "Belieze" blue coupe glistening in the bright sun that day was a magnet to the low life that vandalized it. Now days I have subdued color vehicles, and park somewhat far out (but not so far out as to be really obvious why). Good luck on getting yours fixed.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Update to my situation. First, the next time I went to Target, I saw a black Lexus parked in a handicapped spot (right across from where I was parked). It had clearly hit something since the clearcoat was cracked and the bumper scuffed where it clearly hit something (which looked like a bumper). I took pics of it and the license plate. Next time I went, it was there again, in a different spot (different day and time of day). So I am pretty sure now that the person who owns this car works at Target. I gave this info to the detective and he said they would follow up, but considering I haven't heard from him, I have given up on that. Who knows if it is just coincidence that they have a mark that looks like it matches my bumper. The other thing I was thinking was if in fact it was an employee that did it, the security folks might have erased that footage to protect their own. Of course, this is all purely speculation anyway.

I called my insurance a few weeks back and started the claim process. Took it in last Monday the 2nd and was told the estimate would be sent off to insurance later in the day. I figured red tape and all of that, it would take a week or two for me to hear something. Heard from insurance Wed that they had not received a quote yet from the place. Called them yesterday and adjuster was at lunch. Never called back, so I tried again today and finally got them on the phone. I get the feeling after the call yesterday they realized they hadn't submitted it and did so then because today magically, insurance approved the claim. I am now scheduled in about a month to take it in to get fixed. Total is ~$1600 for the repair, so after all of this I am out my truck for a few days and $500 for my deductible. That's why we have insurance, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Man, that sucks. This is why we can't have nice things. But glad you're scheduled to have the damage fixed. I had a similar experience when I had my little red car... someone just caved in the rear "quarter panel", from over the rear wheel all the way to the taillight, creasing the crease in the side, in the parking lot of half price books and left. The "rear quarter" was unfortunately not actually a quarter, but a solid piece over the entire rear of the car, A pillar to A pillar, down to the other rear side.... so it cost ~$2k to fix over a decade ago. Thankfully we had comprehensive insurance so just paid the deductible. The shop had a hard time paint matching the color, but they did get the rounded pats re-rerounded and the crease lined back up in the right place. Then another time... someone side swiped/backed into me while I was in the car, while backing out of their parking space at a freeway rest area and just floored it leaving the rest stop. I was so upset but a nice older couple made sure I was ok before parting ways and the damage was minimal.

Much like @Dogs 2C , as time goes on, I get less and less emotionally invested in material things and have accepted the truck will collect battle scars. I quite enjoy how much less worry and stress is involved in driving a boring grey truck. Dirt is a badge of honor and people actually let you merge!

Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Wheel

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It''s true we can't have nice things. I try to take care of stuff, play the percentages and then I see my wife park in the hornets' nest. with a brand new car:confused:. She's a city girl so a lot of stuff doesn't even come up for consideration. I remember when we were dating, I parked my Mustang GT on the street and soon thereafter the center caps were gone. Wouldn't change anything though. I gave up a long time ago and have lowered my expectations. The last nice thing I have left is my watch collection. Everything else I just assume will be sacrificial.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts