Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack the other threads on this HU so here is my experience with it. I own a 2012 no navigation with a subwoofer and just wanted to swap out the HU without running an amp or installing speakers. I went ahead with the AX700 and have the subwoofer running in sub direct mode and everything is working but the subwoofer now sounds much worse than it did with the factory HU. It sounds punchy and muffled. It's really not even close to what it was with the factory unit and I am baffled. Any ideas? Or am I now trapped into running an amp off of the 5v pre-out? :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually interesting because I did wire the Sub+ to the Yellow/Black wire and Sub- to LtGreen/Red but this HU has the ability to reverse the phase and it does sound better in reverse but still nowhere near the factory hu.

The only other thing I can think of is that the front and rear speakers wired in parallel and running at 2 ohm may be an issue? Maybe I was getting a lot more bass than I thought out of the doors with the factory hu? I really like this Sony unit but the current sound quality is a non starter for me and that is coming from someone who didn't have a problem with the sound quality of the factory system.

I am going to be trying to solve this issue before I send the hu back so I will get some pictures and post here.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
According to the directions 2 ohm is the way it should be. Maybe everything is just under-powered at 2 ohms?

Read this....

6Keep total impedance higher than 2 ohms and select “2-ohm” mode in the setting menu when wiring speakers/subwoofer(s) in parallel or utilizing a subwoofer with 2-ohm impedance.

So maybe that means do not run the speakers in parallel if it will be 2 ohm? unless the sub is 2 ohm...which I thought the factory one was...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the directions 2 ohm is the way it should be. Maybe everything is just under-powered at 2 ohms?

Read this....

6Keep total impedance higher than 2 ohms and select “2-ohm” mode in the setting menu when wiring speakers/subwoofer(s) in parallel or utilizing a subwoofer with 2-ohm impedance.

So maybe that means do not run the speakers in parallel if it will be 2 ohm? unless the sub is 2 ohm...which I thought the factory one was...
From everything I have read here I do believe the factory sub is 2.5 ohm. It does sound under powered which seems strange given the 45w rms power of the Sony. I'm not sure what the factory hu was putting out but I wouldn't think it would be more than the AX7000. Tomorrow or Thursday I am going to disconnect the sub and wire the door speakers as normal at 4 ohm. If it sounds noticeably better I will know the 2 ohm is a problem.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,150 Posts
I would really like to see what the head unit looks like installed in the dash. Pics?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I would really like to see what the head unit looks like installed in the dash. Pics?
Here is the AX7000 off.

I installed a dual USB port in the center console. I know, I know, it is sandy. Just got home from surfing with my boys and they are messy. You should see the back seat :D

Carplay & music from USB stick work flawlessly.

While I had the center console out I went ahead and replaced the broken cup retainer. I should get an entire month out of this one before it breaks :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the system still sounds bad :cry:

Okay, I just got done disconnecting the sub, wiring all 4 door speakers directly to their assigned inputs, and changing the setting to 4 ohm. The result is night and day and I would not recommend anyone try wiring the factory speakers in parallel @ 2 ohm, at least not running off of this hu. I am nowhere near an audiophile and it was unbearable for me. Now I find myself in the quandary I was dreading when I bought this unit. I really like the features and convenience of the AX7000 but I didn't really want to hassle with a complete system overhaul. So I basically have 3 choices 1) Keep the AX7000 as is without the factory sub connected. 2) Send the AX7000 back, give up the convenience features and live with the factory system. 3) Keep the AX7000 and replace all speakers and sub + amp.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
So I read page 14 of the manual for your headunit and I believe if you wanted front and rear speakers working and the sub...It would need to be 4 ohm rated and the head unit would need direct battery power....

Or you just have front speakers and change the rear outputs to a direct sub output...

That's my understanding.

I have the KTP-445U powering my sub and it works very nicely, which I think might be the simplest option for you but unfortunately more money. Really simple to wire. I have a remote in the glove box that makes a difference between what mood im in and what music im listening to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got the Xav-ax8000 and kept my factory speakers. It sounds awful. I feel like it sounds more muffled than the factory radio. These Sony headunits are overkill for the factory speakers. I’m planning on to replacing them all soon

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
445 Posts
Okay, I just got done disconnecting the sub, wiring all 4 door speakers directly to their assigned inputs, and changing the setting to 4 ohm. The result is night and day and I would not recommend anyone try wiring the factory speakers in parallel @ 2 ohm, at least not running off of this hu. I am nowhere near an audiophile and it was unbearable for me. Now I find myself in the quandary I was dreading when I bought this unit. I really like the features and convenience of the AX7000 but I didn't really want to hassle with a complete system overhaul. So I basically have 3 choices 1) Keep the AX7000 as is without the factory sub connected. 2) Send the AX7000 back, give up the convenience features and live with the factory system. 3) Keep the AX7000 and replace all speakers and sub + amp.
So now the speakers sound much better. Why can't you just run with that set up and the sub connected?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
So now the speakers sound much better. Why can't you just run with that set up and the sub connected?

No channels to drive the sub with. Before only 2 channels were used to drive front and rear speakers. Then the third driving the sub and the 4th to nothing. Now all 4 channels are driving all 4 speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited by Moderator)
I just got the Xav-ax8000 and kept my factory speakers. It sounds awful. I feel like it sounds more muffled than the factory radio. These Sony headunits are overkill for the factory speakers. I’m planning on to replacing them all soon

I agree 100%. I believe the additional power is highlighting how bad the factory speakers really are. Honda must have done a good job matching the factory system because I never had a problem with it before I upgraded. :D

Isn't the factory sub dual 2 ohms?

I was under the impression that it was a single 2.5 ohm. Maybe someone who has more experience with it can weigh in?

I have the KTP-445U powering my sub and it works very nicely, which I think might be the simplest option for you but unfortunately more money. Really simple to wire. I have a remote in the glove box that makes a difference between what mood im in and what music im listening to.
Thanks, I'm going to add the KTP-445U to my potential options. I am now planning to replace all door speakers and eyeballing the Kicker 46HS10 when it becomes available. It looks like it will fit in the factory location. This "little" project is getting more expensive by the day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was under the impression that it was a single 2.5 ohm. Maybe someone who has more experience with it can weigh in?
The only thing I could find was a guy blew his sub and he said it was 2.2 ohms. I could have sworn I saw somewhere it was DVC though. Maybe I just assumed it was as I thought most single OEM subs are DVC.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
We need @OhSix lol.

I have some basic sony components up front and the ktp445u with a pioneer avhx4800bs and it works pretty good. cant go to loud because everything just rattles anyways. It wa simple and I think under $600 for everything. Got the components as an open box sale kinda thing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree 100%. I believe the additional power is highlighting how bad the factory speakers really are. Honda must have done a good job matching the factory system because I never had a problem with it before I upgraded. :D
I think things like this highlight just how much time and effort goes into factory sound systems. So-called upgrades are frequently downgrades, and IME even total system replacements are generally worse than factory until you spend a LOT more money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We need @OhSix lol.

I have some basic sony components up front and the ktp445u with a pioneer avhx4800bs and it works pretty good. cant go to loud because everything just rattles anyways. It wa simple and I think under $600 for everything. Got the components as an open box sale kinda thing.
Did you run the ktp445u to the battery or just tap into the factory RED/BLK (15A) wire? I read that it is okay to tap into the factory harness if it is 15A or more.

I think things like this highlight just how much time and effort goes into factory sound systems. So-called upgrades are frequently downgrades, and IME even total system replacements are generally worse than factory until you spend a LOT more money.
Yeah, I was happy with the factory system but I do need a hu with modern communication/navigation more than I need better sound. I am curious to hear it after I get the sub up and running again.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Did you run the ktp445u to the battery or just tap into the factory RED/BLK (15A) wire? I read that it is okay to tap into the factory harness if it is 15A or more.
I tapped into the head unit constant power. No issues. Still used its own fuse as well just in case.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
We need @OhSix lol.

He's here but rarely, but yes we need @OhSix

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,150 Posts
I spent about $600 on speakers, sound deadening and an amplifier AND kept my OEM headunit. It sounds WORLDS better than the OEM system did. OEM speakers and particularly tweeters (most years anyway) are total garbage in the GenI. Check out the "Pimp" your factory sound thread stickied at the beginning of the GenI mobile electronics section and you can get other peoples opinions as well.
Honda did likely spend a bit of time trying to "tune" the headunit to the cheap lightweight crappy speakers that they installed in the truck and there really isn't much point in upgrading the head unit if you don't also upgrade the speakers. Depending on the speakers you choose an outboard amp making some decent power will be required to get good results.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts