Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is under 0c i get this noise only on cold start up. When the engine is turning over just before is starts it makes this quick whining sound. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yep, have it in my Accord too. Doesn't seem to cause a problem though. My Accord is three years old and it does it on real cold mornings. Kind of like the starter is sticking or something. Noticed it in the Ridge the other morning.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have it. I thought something was wrong. It makes the wierd noise right after it turns over. Almost like something misses. Glad to hear it must be a Honda thing.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I too experianced it after a cold morning about 10F, sounded pretty ugly for a moment. Noticed all the checks and dashboards lights dimmed real low upon start-up as well.

Hasn't happened since, but we have not been that low in temperature since. Doesn't happen in the 20'sF.

:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've had to park outside (need to clean garage) and heard this sound as well. Good thing I had just read this thread. Otherwise, I'd have headed straight to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had a few nights of temps in the teens and 20's.
Mine sounds funny for a second during start too on these cold nights.
Now, I go out, start it, have the auto temp set at 74.
Go back in, have a cup of coffee, then go out and drive to work.

The 10 minute warm up. I think it does the car good.:cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I feel way better:D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Temps hit 10 F this morning and I listened for any unusual sounds during startup but none to be heard. She starts up quick and easy and never a hint of stumble or hesitation ever....She is 19 days old and 1000km (650 mi ) .... :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
The sound comes right after you get spark and it fires. There is no hesitation, just a weird little thud or slip noise.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Q1000 said:
Now that the weather is under 0c i get this noise only on cold start up. When the engine is turning over just before is starts it makes this quick whining sound. Anyone else have this?
Hi Q, It never rains here! or gets really cold so no noise to speak of.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a very cold start last week - it was 4 degrees F with wind chills 15 below. Kicked it over and got whiplash at the sound (hard to describe) but it has not repeated itself. Ran fine the rest of the day. Several other starts that day without problems or noises.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
oh man don't tell me that is coming our way. We are in the 50s right now up in MA. I don't want to get down to 4 yet. Besides I can't blow up my one Christmas ornament if it gets below freezing or Snoopy's snow globe may explode.

·
Registered
220 Posts
captmiddy said:
oh man don't tell me that is coming our way. We are in the 50s right now up in MA. I don't want to get down to 4 yet. Besides I can't blow up my one Christmas ornament if it gets below freezing or Snoopy's snow globe may explode.
Not sure if it heading your way - honestly just glad it is out of here- 48 today and raining. Nice touch with the Snoopy snow globe. Does it match you Ridgeline color?

·
Registered
459 Posts
ahhhh we have a new club. Mine does it to.
Having been a mechanic for years, cars and trucks make very weird noises when cold.Usually 25 and below. Grunt, growl sqweel, whine shutter..etc etc.. just let them warm up a bit longer on these cold days and things will be good. If noise persists after starting up then you may have a problem.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
kdogofjtown said:
Not sure if it heading your way - honestly just glad it is out of here- 48 today and raining. Nice touch with the Snoopy snow globe. Does it match you Ridgeline color?
It was a birthday gift so I am not allowed to make any statements, but I will say there isn't a doghouse in it, which would make match better. Either way I really like it, I am a crazy Snoopy fan and have even corrupted my neice into this this love. Although I need to get her to understand that the bird is Woodstock not a Tony Duck, but I am okay with it either way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have heard similar noises from my Ridgeline.... A few words.. 1st off, I think the ABS pump primes when the vehicle is first started. Also: Turn off the A/C (defroster) before you turn the vehicle off. When the car is started cold, the a/c compressor will kick on right away, which may cause a noise.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just realized that when I put the heat in auto that the AC automaticaly comes on with no indication. So I turned the A/C off, and I haven't herd the sound since. Its starting to get colder again, so I hope it stays away.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If it goes Screeeeeeeeeech! Thump, Thump, Thump!:eek:
could be a cat.....

If the noise goes away, ya might want to look aroud for two half-cats.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts