Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow super nice looking ridge I like it.
Thanks Smokey! where I live there isn't to many, and when I do see another one, its plain jane, I once had the general manager of my local Honda dealership follow me into a walgreens parking lot so he can get a better look!:act024:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did the RL do in the sand? Great looking truck!
Thanks DTEXAN!, and I'll be honest, I never messed with the VTM-4 button and sadly I'm not even sure what its for :eek:, but it did good and didn't have any problems in the soft fluffy sand, but as soon as I got into that fluffy sand, it seems the transmission went into another (low) mode, I wanted to get a bit crazy, but when I stepped on the gas, it almost seems like it'd rather get traction and prevented me from spinning the tires like I thought it would,

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,895 Posts
The RL does not have a 2 speed gearbox. Do you air down in the sand? If so, and you go low enough to turn on the TPMS light, you cannot disable VSA with the cabin switch. (VSA is your traction control and when it can't control wheelspin with brakes, it will cut the throttle making it feel like you're bogging down in sand, snow, mud, etc.).

Whenever you need wheelspin to maintain momentum, always turn off VSA. If you're aired down for the sand and the TPMS light is on, you'll have to pull the 20A VSA fuse in the underhood fusebox in order to kill VSA. (safety feature) Remember to replace the fuse when you get back on the road. With all the lights on your panel, you shouldn't forget!

The VTM-4 button is a manual backup to the automatic 4wd system and only works in 1,2 or R. While the automatic 4wd system is phased in depending on certain factors, the manual system provides maximum 4wd at once and begins to phase out above 6mph until it's totally off at 18 mph. It will re-engage automatically when your speed drops below 18 mph per the above.

BTW, if you select gear position 2, you are always in 2. It does not start out in 1 and then shift to 2. So you can easily overheat the tranny fluid if you use this. Just be advised.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you air down in the sand?

(VSA is your traction control and when it can't control wheelspin with brakes, it will cut the throttle making it feel like you're bogging down in sand, snow, mud, etc.).

Whenever you need wheelspin to maintain momentum, always turn off VSA.

The VTM-4 button is a manual backup to the automatic 4wd system and only works in 1,2 or R.

BTW, if you select gear position 2, you are always in 2. It does not start out in 1 and then shift to 2. So you can easily overheat the tranny fluid if you use this. Just be advised.
thanks for that info SPEEDLEVER!
no, I did not air down the tires as this was a spur of the moment thing, but from what you describe, it sounds like the VSA traction control is what happened, because thats exactly what felt like once I got into fluffy sand, bogged down...next time Im there, Im switching it off and hopefully it will be more fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts