·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have my trailer hitch ball insert in the large slot. Had to notch the foam a little.

I think most of the slots are related to Honda trailer accessories. The white plastic part, could that be used to attach the tailgate top plastic? Maybe flying FOD at the factory.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Most of the open slots are for Honda's "towing kit". I have that, and my post here shows how it fits...,

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2442890

The curved opening to the upper right looks to be for a clip/pin for your hitch ball latch? (though most folks use a locking device for that too)

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
The white plastic thing is a funnel to add gas.
I'm not sure why they felt we needed one but more funnels are always better than none.
Because of the capless fill system you have to use a funnel that is configured right or you won't get past the check valves in the filler neck.

I've put my (non-honda) hitch, pin, etc in the tray. It fits well.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
926 Posts
The pic posted has an arrow that is pointing at a small white piece that isn't the funnel. The object is resting on the tire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pic posted has an arrow that is pointing at a small white piece that isn't the funnel. The object is resting on the tire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It looks like some small plug, it was sitting in the foam compartment.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,106 Posts
No Idea, but the day you need it you'll regret throwing it away. Toss it back in the foam tray, small lightweight and out of the way. Maybe covered in the OM, in the spare tire section. If I find something I'll add it here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Foam container above the spare tire.

Hi all, new to the forum and just purchased a 2018 Black edition with 12000 miles on it. I would like to know what is supposed to come in that gray foam tray above the spare tire. Mine has empty slots and I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, the vehicle did have a flat because the jack and tire were used and were in disarray in the trunk compartment. I do have the jack, lug wrench and handle. I see two round plastic pieces and a long screw that holds down the spare. Please advise if any other items come with the truck such as a hitch receiver or anything else. Thanks Steve

·
Administrator
14,638 Posts
Re: Foam container above the spare tire.

Hi all, new to the forum and just purchased a 2018 Black edition with 12000 miles on it. I would like to know what is supposed to come in that gray foam tray above the spare tire. Mine has empty slots and I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, the vehicle did have a flat because the jack and tire were used and were in disarray in the trunk compartment. I do have the jack, lug wrench and handle. I see two round plastic pieces and a long screw that holds down the spare. Please advise if any other items come with the truck such as a hitch receiver or anything else. Thanks Steve
Moderator's note: Thread merged with existing thread on this subject.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,616 Posts
Re: Foam container above the spare tire.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
The Towing Kit ..... Yeah not sure why they gave us the funnel, kinda odd thing to add, maybe they got a deal on them and figured putting in there makes it look like they are giving us extra perks.

Miss the kit Toyota used to give out. It would be a pair of Pliers, 10 MM open/box. 12mm open/box , 14 mm open/box and 2 screw drivers. That actually was a handy little kit.

What they should give out is a couple of those plastic pull out connector tools, the ones that look like a mini fork.

Damn car has them everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,106 Posts
The funnel is to be used when filling with a gas can, with the capless system, as you don’t want to place it in the fuel filler, can break the capless system.

·
Administrator
14,638 Posts
The Towing Kit ..... Yeah not sure why they gave us the funnel, kinda odd thing to add, maybe they got a deal on them and figured putting in there makes it look like they are giving us extra perks.
The funnel is to be used when filling with a gas can, with the capless system, as you don’t want to place it in the fuel filler, can break the capless system.
Correct. Specifically, refilling from a portable gas can without using the funnel can dislodge the o-ring.

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-ridgeline-2g-2017/142209-official-honda-refueling-capless-fuel-system-vehicle-portable-fuel-container.html

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

·
Administrator
14,638 Posts
Hmmm Other capless systems on other brands kinda resolved this issue long time ago ........
Can you tell me which brands and models of vehicles equipped with capless fuel fillers can be refueled from a portable fuel container without the use of a funnel provided by the automaker?

Ford was the first automaker to market with a capless fuel filler about a decade ago. A brand new 2019 Ford F-150 still includes a funnel and the Owner's Manual states:

"When refueling the vehicle fuel tank from a fuel container, use the fuel filler funnel included with your vehicle. See Fuel Filler Funnel Location (page 191).
Note: Do not use aftermarket funnels as they may not work with the capless fuel system and can damage it."

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2019-Ford-F-150-Owners-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_12_2018.pdf

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Well, True they do use the funnel, I had forgotten about that. But the use of other funnels has more to do with the latching mechanism and with the metal flex filler hose on the more traditional type of gas can, it can cause catching the O-ring and pulling it free.

With the latching mechanism, if you force it and actually break it, (a lot are pretty minimal designs) then the seal would leak out and that would cause an error code.

The supplied funnel really is more about the the outside diameter of the thing. Understanding this you can actually use a pencil other non conductive items to release the latch and hold the spring loaded door to use other funnels in a pinch.

I know this from personal experience. In my world (Construction Mgmt.) my previous companies part of my responsibility was managing a couple hundred service trucks. Most were the Ford variety and/or to a lesser degree, GMC Sierras or Nissan Frontiers. Only the Frontiers had a cap system. We had only 2 occasions that I can remember that one of the techs was managed to break the filler door. Mostly because they gorilla'd them.
The funnels in the trucks were always used on the job for other things, then lost. So, the techs that actually were lame enough to run out of gas or needed to siphon off gas to feed the generator had to improvise.
Glad I do not have to deal with this anymore.

There are after market capless caps that you can buy, though I have never seen one on a vehicle. For me, a regular gas cap is not a big deal. I still think a lot of these new systems have to do with cost over improvement. Call me cynical

But yeah, you make a valid point, to most of John Q. Public, they should just use what the manual states if they are not mechanical minded or curious to understand how things work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On my new to me 2017 RL, what is missing from my spare tire carrier? I have the jack with handle and the wrench for the lug nuts. I have identified a few of the pieces (hopefully correctly). What are suppose to be at location 2 and 3? And what is number 1 for?
spare tire.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts