Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2020 BE. I whitewater kayak and would prefer not to take the expensive key on the water with me. If I lock the doors from the inside and leave fob in the truck, can I open the doors with the metal key that comes out of the fob?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
187 Posts
The metal key will lock/unlock the doors, what I am unsure of is if the vehicle will allow the doors to lock with the fob inside. Congrats on the new BE, I love mine!
Kind of disappointed how they started offering the BE wheels on other trims in different colours. Kind of detracts from the BE exclusivity... ah well I digress.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
459 Posts
Depending on if you have sensors in the trunk. You may or may not be able to lock the fob in the trunk. I don’t have sensors in mine so no problem. If you do. Just get an RFID type bag so the truck sensors can’t see the fob. Same for if you leave it in the cab.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I put mine in my hitch lock when I hike. It's a little safe that goes in the receiver. I've had it for years!!

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
561 Posts
Just picked up a 2020 BE. I whitewater kayak and would prefer not to take the expensive key on the water with me. If I lock the doors from the inside and leave fob in the truck, can I open the doors with the metal key that comes out of the fob?
My wife leaves her purse in the truck occasionally and I can still lock the truck. I do it with my key fob, I haven’t tried to lock it with the inside lock switch but that would be easy to try. Leave one fob in the truck and the other far away. Let us know what works.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Kind of disappointed how they started offering the BE wheels on other trims in different colours. Kind of detracts from the BE exclusivity... ah well I digress.
Nothing new here. The RTL, RTL-T, RTL-E, and BE have always had the same wheels, just different finish.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
156 Posts
We raft & kayak, also. I haven't towed the trailer with the new RL yet. Always been with the older Pilot.
Whats the best proceedure when your using a shuttle service? Take one fob & have them lock the other inside? Then if someone breaks in, they now have the car.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
187 Posts
Nothing new here. The RTL, RTL-T, RTL-E, and BE have always had the same wheels, just different finish.
the 6 spoke painted wheels are definitely new to 2020 models I have never seen any RL except the 2020s with the 6 spoke single color pattern wheels like the BE has.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
443 Posts
I remember seeing something about this several months back. I am a former 1/2 marathoner that has decided to get back into running( for exercise). This seems like it would be ideal. Thanks for the bump.
I can't believe I never new about hitch safe until now. Really cool!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Absolutely. Leave the FOB transmitter in the truck.
Lock the driver door with the metal key.
Put the metal key in your PFD pocket and get boating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use Master Lock and hang on to any of tie down hook or hitch hook. You don't need to carry anything with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
These fobs are amazingly sealed. Found mine in the pocket after swimming in the Atlantic. Dried off and opened it up, that rubber ring didn't let a trace inside. The keypad is one piece and waterproof. This was by accident and I do not recommend doing this.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
561 Posts
These fobs are amazingly sealed. Found mine in the pocket after swimming in the Atlantic. Dried off and opened it up, that rubber ring didn't let a trace inside. The keypad is one piece and waterproof. This was by accident and I do not recommend doing this.
They go through the washer and dryer very well too! (Also by accident)

Reactions: tmz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the suggestions. I tested the following:

Key fob in cab. Lock doors with button on the arm rest. It will detect the key inside the truck and will unlock the doors as soon as you close the driver door.

Key fob in trunk. Lock doors. Try to close the trunk and it detects the key in the trunk and won't latch the trunk closed.

Key fob in hitch after locking the doors. This worked fine. Doors stayed locked when I put my hand in the handle even though the key fob was close.

Key fob in cab. Lock doors manually with physical key in the driver door. This works.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts