Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I realize it is not a FOB key thank you.
It is just a "blank" not specific to HONDA then?
I just had a key made this past Saturday. Was told the key blank is common to other makes. The only key blanks he had in stock has a slot to accept a security chip, but not applicable in this case so it's sealed with a plug. The high expense is because the cutting process requires a special tool, must be high-precision, and has high rate of needing redone if not very careful. The extra key works the tailgate lock and the driver's door. I was able to lock the fob inside the cab with the key.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just had a key made this past Saturday. Was told the key blank is common to other makes. The only key blanks he had in stock has a slot to accept a security chip, but not applicable in this case so it's sealed with a plug. The high expense is because the cutting process requires a special tool, must be high-precision, and has high rate of needing redone if not very careful. The extra key works the tailgate lock and the driver's door. I was able to lock the fob inside the cab with the key.
who did this- local locksmith? Thanks.
I want a spare to keep in my life jacket and leave the entire FOB assembly in the truck or in the trunk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just get a kayak dry bag and secure it to the kayak with a carabiner. I put my wallet, key and phone in one and take it with me. You could throw them in a ziplock before putting them in the dry bad for an extra layer of protection as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tend to paddle with minimum extra gear. Running whitewater and don't like anything extra flopping around in the boat. I do have a dry bag, but prefer to go with an empty boat - just a preference. I like the idea of the spare key because I can ALWAYS leave that in my PFD and not have to worry about it. Different Folks, Different strokes :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
who did this- local locksmith? Thanks.
I want a spare to keep in my life jacket and leave the entire FOB assembly in the truck or in the trunk
Yes, local locksmith. I tried a couple big-box hardware stores that make keys, they didn't have the blanks or the special cutter. Was a little pricey for a key $35.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
90 Posts
Got an ad online for this. I don't have one (so can't gauge quality) but wanted to share:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I tend to paddle with minimum extra gear. Running whitewater and don't like anything extra flopping around in the boat. I do have a dry bag, but prefer to go with an empty boat - just a preference. I like the idea of the spare key because I can ALWAYS leave that in my PFD and not have to worry about it. Different Folks, Different strokes :)
This. The other reason I like to leave it in my PFD is that it always lives there, I never take it out. Then I don't have to worry about forgetting my keys.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts